New Rum Point Excursion

cruzn buckeye

We have our Cozumel beach break booked through Cozumelcruisexcursions.com and while visiting their sight, I see that they have a new excursion to Rum Point. It is a jeep land excursion. It sounds great! So, for people who have already done the stingrays and don't want to snorkel, you may want to check this out!

• 1 month later...

Bubblez...Thanks for all the info! We were suppsed to go to Rum Point this past May but the weather was horrible and the tender boats couldn't make it to land. Unfortunatlly, we sat in the middle of the ocean staring back at GC. It was depressing. Anyway, we will be back again next May and will hopefully have beautiful weather. I do like this excursion, however, I wish they would offer more beach time.

Does anyone know when the ferry to Rum Point will be running again?

We had rough seas and large swells the day we were in GC. We went to Sea Grapes Beach...pretty nice....but too large waves for me the day we were there. I had to get out of the water because they kept slamming me down.

Also, the lines to get the tenders back were ridiculous. Over an hour and a half standing in the sweltering sun!

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked this tour thru the posted website. I just asked them if the transmission was automatic. I believe it is, but will let you know if it's not. There is another thread about renting a Jeep and it's lest costly. Either way, my family of 5 booked 2 Jeeps for Dec. 31

Has anyone just returned from GC? How were the seas this week? Hopefully, they'll calm down as we get into December!!!! Don't want to be seasick on New Year's Eve.

So, how does this work. You book the tour from them but drive the jeep yourself? I guess there would be a guide at the front showing us where to go?

Does anyone know if other tour operators offer a similar tour?

Our time in GC will be quite limited since we don't even get there til 10 am, and even if we're on the first tender, we'll be lucky to be on land by 11 at best. We leave at 5pm, and I know from our previous trip to GC that tender lines are extremely long at the end of the day. So we're still not sure what to do. Maybe another time we'll get to do the jeep.... just gives me another reason to go back :D

That is my review in Karens message above...this was a great trip...suprisedly there were only 4 of us total...Geno drove us (my DH and I did not really want to drive) the other couple drove the other Jeep....it was a very nice experience....As said in another review you meet Geno at the Blue Iguana...however, we were then picked up by an AVIS van and taken to the AVIS lot where Geno met us to pick up the jeeps....Rum point is just beautiful, be aware everything is in Cayman dollars so it will cost you alot more than you think.... they also make change in Cayman dollars...We were very happy with the tour....DB

My GF and I are also thinking about booking this tour in April. It sounds like a lot of fun.!! Is the driving optional? I don't mind driving if I have too but since I'm on holiday I would really like to be driven :).

Either way its looking like we will take this tour with all the great reviews so far.

We had requested not to drive...the option would be to ride with another couple or if lucky, riding with the guide...we were fortunate that there were just two couples and we got to ride with Geno...they do require you to pay for a Cayman Drivers License ($7.50)

• 4 weeks later...

Drew: Whoops, I asked you the same question on another thread 5 minutes ago. Sorry. So, Ferry is NOT running; We will be in port Monday 1/14 9am - 5pm on Legend of the Seas. How would YOU plan to travel to Rum Point from the port? That is where we would like to spend the day. Also, do you know if you can rent the small, personal catamarans there? They may be called something else there-? THANKS FOR INFO!

• 1 month later...

If you have long hair bring a hat or something for your hair because the jeep ride is windy. Wear sturdy shoes because the walk at the highest point is very rocky. Bring all the regular beach stuff for Rum Point including water shoes. Rum Point is beautiful. It is very shallow for a long way. We snorkled out where you can see darker shapes and found many nice, large tangs and if you watch holes in the rocks you will see smaller damsels come out and play around. There was no one there when we arrived. Later an excursion showed up and then there was a group from a hotel but by then it was time to leave. We had about 2 hours at Rum Point which was plenty of time to swim, snorkle, eat and lay out. I had the fish and chips and it was very good. Just remember they give you change back in Cayman dollars.

Thanks for all the review info.

I have a few questions:

-I'm assuming there are changing facilities or a bathroom at Rum Point so we can just bring our swimwear with us instead of wearing it the whole day, right?

-You mention they make change in Cayman dollars...will they accept US dollars as payment? Any idea what the exchange rate is (roughly)?

Thanks so much!

Archived