Maps or Apps?

I'm just curious. When you're in port, which do you tend to use, paper maps or map apps? I'd going to be in the Mediterranean (Allure) in a few weeks and would love to avoid having to buy several paper maps, but I'd having trouble finding good map apps that work offline. If anyone has any recommendations for either good offline map apps or even good inexpensive paper maps, the info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by katsmom1

Honestly, I have found that the little paper maps you can usually get for free at the Tourist Info booths when you get off the ship in port work fine. Heck, I spent 4 days in Rome and only used the little freebie map the hotel gave me to find my way around.

Oh, I did use Rick Steves' map and guide for the Forum in Rome. I downloaded it (for free) before leaving home and was able to access it online once I got to the Forum. Otherwise, I used paper maps.

Have a great trip!

Melissa

Edited by kirian

I have CityMaps2Go on my ipad. I download maps for all our locations when we travel, and then take it with me whenever I leave the ship or hotel. The maps have an offline search feature, so you can find a location and "star" it on the map. They also have preloaded lists of local sites, restaurants, etc. I've been using them for several years, and then delete the map when I'm done with it. The map resides on my icloud until I may use it later.

The app is free, as are the guides/local maps.

If you are going to Europe or anywhere with a metro or subway, the msData Limited metro apps are fabulous. They have offline route planners in them to show you the fastest routes to take, give you the names of the train lines and stations you use. Loved these apps in Paris, London, and DC.

I'm just curious. When you're in port, which do you tend to use, paper maps or map apps? I'd going to be in the Mediterranean (Allure) in a few weeks and would love to avoid having to buy several paper maps, but I'd having trouble finding good map apps that work offline. If anyone has any recommendations for either good offline map apps or even good inexpensive paper maps, the info would be greatly appreciated.

Google maps works well offline. You just have to remember to save the areas you will be traveling in before you leave.

The steps to save your maps for offline use are at

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en

I just returned from a 45 day cruise on Rhapsody. I had installed OsmAnd+ (cost $5.99) on my tablet before I left on my trip and downloaded all the countries I was going to visit. Worked great in everyplace that we went to.

I have CityMaps2Go on my ipad. I download maps for all our locations when we travel, and then take it with me whenever I leave the ship or hotel. The maps have an offline search feature, so you can find a location and "star" it on the map. They also have preloaded lists of local sites, restaurants, etc. I've been using them for several years, and then delete the map when I'm done with it. The map resides on my icloud until I may use it later.

The app is free, as are the guides/local maps.

If you are going to Europe or anywhere with a metro or subway, the msData Limited metro apps are fabulous. They have offline route planners in them to show you the fastest routes to take, give you the names of the train lines and stations you use. Loved these apps in Paris, London, and DC.

I have also found that a app called "HERE" is also very good in locating where you are and the roads around you. It is also free. We still like the local maps also when combined with the apps.

Google maps works well offline. You just have to remember to save the areas you will be traveling in before you leave.

The only thing to note is that due to Spanish laws/licensing/something legally, you can't download maps for anywhere in Spain, but I use it for everywhere else and it works well. For Spain the only real tech solution is paying for official maps.

I usually pre-download the Google maps for anywhere I'm going to be, and back that up with whatever free leaflet maps I get.

For map apps I have used 'CoPilot' and 'GPS Navigation & Maps Sygic'

They are both standalone apps. They both have USA and World options. Sygic was a lil on the pricey side but is very customizable. CoPilot has add-ons for upcharges.

I think as long as you can download the maps to either a tablet or phone or?? you will be in good shape.

The other thing I have done in the past, if you have AAA or know someone who does, they have TripTix and guidebooks, they used to be free not sure if they still are, but they have a ton of maps and info and more!!

Also, most device's gps is now indpendant of data usage.