Viking Dining for the Not-So-Social

seatrial

"as some will be dining off boat and others will be upstairs with the buffet in the lounge."

There is a buffet on these river boats? For dinner?

Every night?

(S)he didn't say what line they were on.

On Scenic, there certainly isn't any buffet anywhere at the same time as dinner. Their "river cafe" which only really has snacks anyhow is only open until shortly before dinner.

And it will be rare on many crusies for anybody to be able to dine off the boat, since "all aboard" times are frequently before dinner. We were sailing during dinner at least 50% of the time on our Danube cruise.

You could dine in your room, with room service avaiilable for all cabins, although not widely advertised, and I'm not sure how good the service was at dinner time, when most of teh staff would be busy in the dining room.

"as some will be dining off boat and others will be upstairs with the buffet in the lounge."

There is a buffet on these river boats? For dinner?

Every night?

Hi Nancy,

I don't know about other lines, but yes on Viking. Breakfast, lunch and dinner you can eat in the dining room or have a simpler meal in the lounge

The thread is titled Viking Dining and my sig line shows I've only been on Viking so I didn't explicity state Viking in my post, apologies. :)

Dinner was our least favorite part of the Viking river cruise that we took last year with two of our friends. After having dinner on two different nights with people that claimed they had worked with the CIA and another night with a person who wanted to talk politcs and we didn't see eye to eye (but we kept quiet) we migrated to the Aquavit Lounge. (Nothing against those that work for the CIA, but I don't think they generally advertise who they work(ed) for.)

We're not foodies so the limited menu on offer was fine with us, but for those who food variety is more important, that would probably not be a great solution.

It was nice not having to go through the nightly scrum to get a table together. I felt sorry for the four who spoke Spanish and apparently wanted to dine together and only with themselves. They would line up half an hour before the dining room opened, apparently to make sure that they could get a fourtop. They also went to the Aquavit a few times we were there. (I'm not being critical--I think that I'd be in the same boat and want some time each day where I wasn't having to communicate in a second language.)

I second the Aquavit Terrace on a night or two you just can't deal with other people. On the first night of our Christmas Market's cruise I was so tired (We had traveled over 30 straight hours with almost no sleep) and I just wanted to eat and go to bed. Dining at the Aquavit Terrace was fast, and we had the area nearly to ourselves.

I also think the suggestion to sit at a large table and no one will notice if you join in the conversation is a good one as well.

As far as "Less popular cruiser's" and your fear you will be stuck with them??? On our trip no one fit that description. Everyone was lovely that we met.

(Nothing against those that work for the CIA, but I don't think they generally advertise who they work(ed) for.)

You know, they have janitors, security, admin assistants at the CIA too:p (my late uncle worked at the CIA - no, I don't know exactly what he did because he was an analyst, but he was allowed to tell us where he worked, because he was not an undercover agent;))

You know, they have janitors, security, admin assistants at the CIA too:p (my late uncle worked at the CIA - no, I don't know exactly what he did because he was an analyst, but he was allowed to tell us where he worked, because he was not an undercover agent;))

You beat me to it. Clandestines work for Departments of State or Defense or for some NGO or even some independent entrepreneur. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Believe that, or I'll have to kill you. :p