Paradise Cove, GBI, questions

mageus

NCL Bahama cruise mid June. Mom and dad like to snorkel. Kids 6 & 8 years old, are good swimmers for their age but don't snorkel well. They are comfortable just floating with their head/mask in the water.

How far does one have to swim out to the reef? The kids will have inflatable vests, and we will help them. Will the swim out to the reef be too arduous for them? If not, I guess the boat can take us out and back. At the reef, can one see the fish from the surface, or does one have to dive deeper?

If the above is not feasible, can one see fish/animals closer to shore? I'm not talking "oh it's great snorkeling." Even seeing 5-10 fish would be fine for the kids. For reference, they were ecstatic with the experience just 15 feet out in Hanauma Bay or some of the Maui bays. We tend to tag team with the kids, to allow one parent to go farther out and enjoy.

I've heard the shallow water at Paradise Cove is hard and rocky. I'm just worried that if the kids don't get to see fish, they will be disappointed with the beach experience.

TIA.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a complete review, listed in my signature line, of our day there last November. It has TONS of pictures to show you the place and snorkeling.

I found swimming out there with my 20 year old son the most exhausting swim during a snorkel that I have ever done. :(

The entrance of the water to the place is just terrible. Nothing but slippery rocks, so really not a beach for hanging out or playing in the water. Just my opinion.