Any suggestions for UK mobile phone company/plan to use on Cunard

milamber

We are doing two TA crossings in July/August and have had problems accessing the mobile at sea network on other cruise ships in the past with our EE phone. We haven't been with Cunard before so don't know if it will be a problem or not, but were thinking of getting a cheap pay as you go phone topped up with some credit to keep in touch with the kids by text and to ensure that we don't suddenly attract any huge charges with the contract phone.

Just wondered if anyone from the UK had any experience of which phone companies work best with Cunard's at sea network and also any suggestions for any decent pay as you go plans for an at sea network.

Thanks very much

Have t travelled with Cunard yet, so cannot help with network, but surely while doing TA's any use of your mobile would be via satellite, which would attract hefty charges whoever you are with.

I may be wrong, usually am. That is one reason I didn't use my mobile at all when we did our TA, unless we could pick up a signal from land either side.

Yes, the charges can be horrendous which is why we were looking at getting a cheap throw away pay as go mobile with £30 or so credit on it just for the odd text. Just wondered which company works well with Cunard having had problems with EE on other ships before. We usually only switch it on when near shore, but that won't happen with a TA for most of the trip :)

Never had much success with shipboard internet - usually end up using most of the time we have purchased trying to connect!

I HAVE to keep in touch with sick relatives every time we go away and found EE was terribly unreliable. I am currently contracted to O2 and that seems reasonably ok.

I found the internet perfectly ok on a TA, if used early morning and late at might, at other times it could sometimes be troublesome. We have also found using Ship to Shore not too expensive for a quick 5 minute call, but you need to keep a close eye on the time ticking away and not go over.

Thanks. I was leaning towards O2 or Tesco mobile which is the same. We won't need it a lot - just a few texts back and forth with the kids - don't want to be completely out of touch for a week or more. Glad it wasn't just us with EE. They are fine at home, but poor overseas by the look of it.

Strangely we have found that the pay as you go tends to be cheaper than the contract on the ship, certainly with UK companies, plus no danger of running up a huge bill by accident. Worst than can happen is that credit gets used up :)

I'm not at all technical so apologies if this doesn't work for you whilst at sea - but to keep in touch with my family & friends in the UK & Italy (land to land) I use the 'Whats app' which is free. I'm on Vodafone & have never had a problem with signals or had a charge when travelling or in the UK whilst using this app.

On my last T/A I just kept in touch with family via e-mail using either my kindle or the ships computers; many people back home on dry land pick up their e-mails from their smart phones today, so it's the same as texting really. I get 2 hours free internet as part of being Gold in the World Club so that worked out free too; I'm not sure what a small internet package charge would be today, but I don't think it would be as much as using a pay as you go.

Have a wonderful trip!

Cheers. I have WhatsApp, use it a lot, but it needs a wifi connection to work so we are back to paying for internet again. I'll have a look at what's available for internet once on board - just haven't had much luck with internet on other lines.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks

I use a Old basic payg phone No 2/3/4 g No aps on Tesco which is 02 & I find it very good for the odd text or phone call back home If the credit runs out you can Top it up by using the Keypad on the phone so you are always in control of the expenditure , By the way it does not matter what network you normally use on the ship all the calls have to go through the ships network & everyone pays the same rate Payg & Contract same price.

Edited by zider