What to wear for January Med cruise

blondie1746

I've seen lots of posts about what to wear while sightseeing during the day. I think I've got that covered. But I'm wondering about evenings on the ship. We are going on the Epic in January, starting in Barcelona and going to Italy. It is more casual at night because it is winter? Do women still wear cocktail dresses or formal dresses? Do the men wear a jacket every night, or slacks and shirt/polo? When I searched this on the forums, most of the posts were very old. Just curious how things are now, especially since Carribbean cruises have become more casual. Thanks for your input!

We were on a Med cruise this past January on the Jade and evenings were very casual. There were very few people that I saw wearing evening wear, more often Casual Friday type of clothes. The temperature on board was pretty much the same as I have had on other cruises.

Hi

So jealous we too were on the Jade in January for 21 nights , inside the ship temp fairly constant ,I wore a t shirt on sea days when inside, at night I wore mainly black pants ,low heeled shoes,I took about 4 tops and 1 dressier top for captains table and latitudes party ,I also packed a pretty wrap (shawl) :D .We are booked again for nov 2016 ,21 nights just loved every minute:D

Hi

So jealous we too were on the Jade in January for 21 nights , inside the ship temp fairly constant ,I wore a t shirt on sea days when inside, at night I wore mainly black pants ,low heeled shoes,I took about 4 tops and 1 dressier top for captains table and latitudes party ,I also packed a pretty wrap (shawl) :D .We are booked again for nov 2016 ,21 nights just loved every minute:D

Candy mum, which ports were you in and what was the weather like? We are prepared for the worst, but hoping for the best. We are also hoping that it won't be crowded, since it is off-season. Especially in Rome. How was it for you?

We were on the Jade for 21 days on the Feb 2 sailing. The weather was mostly great, except in Istanbul, it was a snow storm!! Very cold, but it did not stop us from walking all over. We just dressed in layers.

Our ports were Olympia(missed it due to rough sea),

Athens, beautiful weather day.

Kusadasi, good in the morning while at Ephesis, rain in the afternoon.

Istanbul, snow, snow, snow, cold, cold, cold.

Naples, great wonderful weather (all the good days were in the upper 50's or lower 60's),

Rome, wonderful day, beautiful weather and crowds were manageable.

Livirno, we went to Pisa, best day yet, so beautiful

Toulon, again, wonderful weather, went up to Mount Faron.

Nice, fantastic. We were supposed to port in Monte Carlo and were not allowed.

Barcelona, again great weather,

Valencia, some rain.

Palermo, nice weather,

Cagliari, rain, rain rain. Naples, nice, and then back to Rome.

The ship had some movement and some people got sick, but we didn't and had a great time.

Take lots of layers. We would mostly wear jeans, tshirt, sweater and light jacket and we were fine, even in Istanbul. We only took carry on luggage so we did not pack any fancy clothes for nights on the Jade. Some people dressed up, but we never felt out of place in our nice black pants and nicer shirts. On our previous cruises we have always dressed up, but with our travel on trains, buses and planes all over Europe, we did not want to deal with all the luggage and it worked out perfect for us.

Beware of pick pockets, especially in the Rome Termini, many people on our cruise were pickpocketed there, one 500 Euros and 3 others had their passports taken. We were fine, just be aware of your surroundings and always have your hand on your wallet or purse. Our backpack was opened up in Naples, but we only had water and umbrellas in it, so it was okay.

We did not really enjoy the Jade as much as others (we thought service was very bad), but we met some wonderful people and had a great time anyway. Have a great time!! It is a wonderful itinerary. Happy sailing!

Our cruise started in rome on the 3/1 we did b2b ,rome ,Livorno,monte Carlo,toulon,Barcelona,valencia,Sardinia,Palermo,Naples, first cruise .Next cruise was greece olympia Athens ,Ephesus, turkey overnight Istanbul,,Naples .

We were away for 25 days and we had only 1 day of rain in naples pored down.

weather was crisp and clear most days about 8 degrees celsius the wind chill can make it colder ,it was warmer in spain ,sardinia ,10-12 degrees .Can get really cold in the shade. The coldest place was Rome we arrived on the 1/1 it was really crowded and very cold, at the being of our trip european school holidays, but not so busy at the end 24/1 :D As others have said layers are great ,gloves are a must and a hat .I checked the Dallies the night before and it always had the min and max temperatures of the places we were stopping at the next day .:D

Europe in January can be very hit and miss. Best option is to layer especially on port days! NCL ships are not cocktail dress formal anyway (unless you want to) so just be warm and comfy!

This is an 11-day cruise for us. We have always done 7-day cruises. How many "dress up or not" (or also called Norwegians Night Out) nights are there on an 11-day cruise? Thanks for the previous answers. We are going to the Caribbean in December, but I can't stop obsessing about this one. First time to Europe for us! A bucket list item for sure!

This is an 11-day cruise for us. We have always done 7-day cruises. How many "dress up or not" (or also called Norwegians Night Out) nights are there on an 11-day cruise? Thanks for the previous answers. We are going to the Caribbean in December, but I can't stop obsessing about this one. First time to Europe for us! A bucket list item for sure!

We are looking forward to our FIRST 11 DAY cruise and first trip to Eurpose for me. It is Western Italy from Barcelona end of February...we are planning on the weather being similiar to our Alaskan Cruise the last week in May....layers and more casual in the evenings...Does this sound reasonable.

We are looking forward to our FIRST 11 DAY cruise and first trip to Eurpose for me. It is Western Italy from Barcelona end of February...we are planning on the weather being similiar to our Alaskan Cruise the last week in May....layers and more casual in the evenings...Does this sound reasonable.

Great minds must think alike! We went on Alaskan cruise first week of June, twice. and I was thinking about dressing in the same fashion. Layers, rain coat, etc. Although we still dressed fairly nice for dinners. Sometimes slacks and nice sweaters, other times dresses. I know they say Europeans dress nicer than we do in the U.S., but I wasn't sure what it would like on the ship in the evenings. Can't wait for this winter!