240volt socket Royal

simok99

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a 240 volt UK socket under the bed as we have always had them on the other class ships. Ideal for the wife's hairdryer and all our UK accessories, we always take an extension lead.

Thanks, is the one on the right 240v ?

The left hand one is 220v European standard round pin (you'll need a plug adapter for your UK appliances). The right one is 110v US standard. Some times the bedside lamps are plug in, and there will be a 220v outlet behind the bed, sometimes they are hardwired.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a 240 volt UK socket under the bed as we have always had them on the other class ships. Ideal for the wife's hairdryer and all our UK accessories, we always take an extension lead.

Hi Simok

I've just looked at the photos of the socket points on board ship. One looks standard American, but not sure of the other. I think Cheng says it is European...however, not being too hot on voltage, I am not sure of the implication behind references to 110v US standard and 220v European. Does that mean I could not use particular sockets for different appliances?

I will want to charge my 2 cameras, my Kindle, my iPad my iPhone (annoyingly with different USB points) and maybe an electric toothbrush!

You and others mention bringing an extension lead which seems sensible. Where can you get an extension lead for an American style or European style sockets for UK plugs. Do you have any idea? I've looked in my local shops & on Amazon & cannot see anything. The only one I have been able to buy was a. Single unit, multi socket ...quite big cube shape with options for several countries and ordinary plus USB plugs. Unfortunately it seemed to be too heavy for the socket point & kept tipping forward when plu attached.

Edited by Nonio

Hi Simok

I've just looked at the photos of the socket points on board ship. One looks standard American, but not sure of the other. Is it European?

You and others mention bringing an extension lead which seems sensible. Where can you get an extension lead for an American style socket for UK plugs. Do you have any idea? I've looked in my local shops & on Amazon & cannot see anything.

On the Regal, the left hand plug is a Schuko style and I found adapters on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Plug-Adapter-Europe-Converts/dp/B001PNDW4C

There are also British to American adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VP18-Adapter-Converts-Grounded/dp/B000NND600/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1433566665&sr=1-1&keywords=British+to+us+adapter

IHi CalCruiser ...I can get an adaptor (but see previous comment re multiple plug weight, that adaptor being similar but not identical to the one in your link. Reassuring to know that yours worked). What I want is to be able to use a UK extension lead for multiple plugs..

...what I cannot get is an extension lead for an American socket with the extension being for UK plugs...

I don't know if it is safe to use a standard UK extension lead, plugged into a socket converter adaptor for US/EU plugs...so an extension lead plugging into an adaptor plugging into one of the ship'ssockets...I'm not sure (re voltage information quoted above) if that would be OK load for the things I will be charging.

What do you think?

Most electronics today are multi-voltage, since they convert the AC from the outlet to DC for the electronics, and the "brick" on the charger (or the "wall wart" white cube) can handle a wide range of voltages. Look on the brick or cube for your electronics, and it will usually say "100-240vac". If it does, you can plug your electronics into either the 220v or 110v outlet with only a plug adapter. Multiple electronic devices in one outlet is generally not a problem, as these are very low current devices.

Personal care appliances (hair dryers, curlers, toothbrush, etc) are becoming more and more multi-voltage, but you need to check carefully. If they only specify 220v or 240v (UK standard), then you would need to use them only in the 220v European outlet. Again, just a plug adapter is needed. Hair dryers and hair care appliances are the major problem, as these tend to be very high amperage (wattage), and too many in one outlet can lead to tripped breakers or fire. The only time you need a transformer (voltage converter) is when plugging US appliances into the 220v outlet.

IHi CalCruiser ...I can get an adaptor (but see previous comment re multiple plug weight, that adaptor being similar but not identical to the one in your link. Reassuring to know that yours worked). What I want is to be able to use a UK extension lead for multiple plugs..

...what I cannot get is an extension lead for an American socket with the extension being for UK plugs...

I don't know if it is safe to use a standard UK extension lead, plugged into a socket converter adaptor for US/EU plugs...so an extension lead plugging into an adaptor plugging into one of the ship'ssockets...I'm not sure (re voltage information quoted above) if that would be OK load for the things I will be charging.

What do you think?

I have not used those, just giving examples. As chengkp75 stated, most electronics will function with voltages of 100-240 volts and 50-60 Hertz. I used to have to lug a heavy step down transformer to use my 120V laptop when traveling in Europe but now all I need is a lightweight adapter. You need to check the device you have to see the voltage rating. The Chargers for all of my current electronics such as computer, iPad, iPhone, camera, Pebble watch and Bluetooth speakers work on 100-240 volts. DW has a hair dryer that also works on 100-240 volts but with her shorter hairstyle she doesn't bring it when we travel. Edited by IECalCruiser

Be careful though. In the U.S. and on Princess ships I always carried a power strip with a surge protector. I went to use the strip post cruise in our hotel in Spain but it wasn't rated for 240V and the surge protector circuitry was fried and I blew a circuit breaker for our room. I learned a lesson there. A simple extension cord would have been fine and I had used that pre-cruise in Spain.

We have an extension with a Schuko plug on it as well as a full set of adaptors.

If you cruise a lot worth making one or buying one so much easier

Amazon UK has them seen a 2way at £17 and 4 way at 20+ one with 2 USB ports as well which is quite pricy.

Cheaper to just cut of the UK plug and put your own on 4way £2.50(wilco) plug £3-£5

or just use an adaptor get a set of 5 for less than £5 one seller has them at 50p if you buy 5.

If you want to go fancy get a individualy switched one.

The voltage will be 220v unless marked otherwise that is the international standard for a type F (UK is type G also 220v)

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

For normal use chargers etc there should be no problem with loadings and the standard means hairdryers straightners etc are OK as well.

UK people should try to stick with the Schuko as it is earthed and will work with UK devices.

Some kit in the uk may not work with 110v.

If you have devices that are switch voltage(much rarer but some travel products still have them) and you use 110v make sure you switch back or you may fry the device.

IT is US people coming to europe that have te bigger issue as they are more likley to have 110v devices that will get toasted with 220v

Edited by insidecabin

We have an extension with a Schuko plug on it as well as a full set of adaptors.

If you cruise a lot worth making one or buying one so much easier

Amazon UK has them seen a 2way at £17 and 4 way at 20+ one with 2 USB ports as well which is quite pricy.

Cheaper to just cut of the UK plug and put your own on 4way £2.50(wilco) plug £3-£5

or just use an adaptor get a set of 5 for less than £5 one seller has them at 50p if you buy 5.

If you want to go fancy get a individualy switched one.

The voltage will be 220v unless marked otherwise that is the international standard for a type F (UK is type G also 220v)

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

For normal use chargers etc there should be no problem with loadings and the standard means hairdryers straightners etc are OK as well.

UK people should try to stick with the Schuko as it is earthed and will work with UK devices.

Some kit in the uk may not work with 110v.

If you have devices that are switch voltage(much rarer but some travel products still have them) and you use 110v make sure you switch back or you may fry the device.

IT is US people coming to europe that have te bigger issue as they are more likley to have 110v devices that will get toasted with 220v

Thanks for all the info. I think I understand but, just to be sure this is one I've just seen on Amazon. (The copied link does not seem to paste)

Travel Adapter EUROPE Multi Extension Lead 2 Pin Earthed Plug 4 UK Sockets 2 USB Ports Moulded Schuko Type F Plug 1.5m Flex VDE & CE Certified

So...I cannot see one for the American socket...but think this should fit the European one. I don't bring hairdryers etc..Just my Sony & Panasonic compact cameras, a kindle and an iPad and iPhone.

Sorry if I am being a bit dim...ciao..Fionna