Cave Archaeology Sites near Santander

donaldsc

Do you mean the caves of Altamira. If you wish to visit them you need to book in advance as they control the amount of people they let visit. They are near the UNESCO town of Santillana Del Mar, which is well worth a visit.

[quote name='LondonTowner']Do you mean the caves of Altamira. If you wish to visit them you need to book in advance as they control the amount of people they let visit. They are near the UNESCO town of Santillana Del Mar, which is well worth a visit.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that they do not let people inside at all and you have to go to a faux cave. Is that correct or do they let a limited number of people inside?

I am planning to go to 3 caves in the area - El Castillo, Las Monedas and the Altamira museum. They are all very close to one another.

DON

Hi, Don
I thought that in Altamira they let about 12 people at a time in there. I have never been into the caves, but have visited the area a few times. They probably have a website, but if not, contact the local tourist board office as they will be able to tell you.