Cabin location, motion sickness, on the Statendam, Alaska

ann1bell

I am thinking of doing the 14 day RT Seattle on the Statendam and am looking at a cabin on the main deck. It is an inside near the launderette in the forward part of the ship, about 12 cabins from the front.

I know that midship is better but am wondering if this area might be ok. I have had some problems with motion sickness, always have the scopolamine patches with me but usually am just fine with bonine if I take it before I sail.

Any ideas from anyone who has sailed in Alaska often? Thanks.

That far forward you may have a tough time the day you cross the Gulf of Alaska. especially if there's a storm out there, you will definitely feel it.

Otherwise, I don't think there's anything especially undesirable about a cabin near the Main Deck launderette area.

You're welcome.

I've also crossed the Gulf more than a few times (probably 11), and I've felt the motion pretty severely when there was a good storm going on outside. That is not most of the time, but it certainly can happen.

Be prepared, and hope it doesn't happen on your trip. The HAL 14-day itinerary is well worth it.