Seattle questions

Tiffany18

I have read as many posts as I can but still have a few questions. We will be in Seattle on June 26th. We are staying at sleep inn and plan to take the light rail then the monorail to Seattle center. I read that Pike Place is only 2 blocks from there but it looks much further on the map. Is it just a few blocks? We plan to walk around the market in the morning, catch a ferry to Bainbridge island, then stop at space needle & chihuly garden. Finally have dinner at the Crab Pot. On the map the ferry terminal looks like a good distance from Pike Place, do you think it's walkable? Also do you think its feasible to visit all the above places in a leisurely manner in one day? Would you recommend visiting those places in a different order? I read that the sun doesn't set until about 9pm so that's an advantage. I just want to take full advantage of our one full day there without rushing around. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Quick answers -

The last light rail stop is Westlake. The monorail departs from Westlake Center, a vertical shopping mall built over the light rail station. It goes - one mile - to Seattle Center, a complex that includes the Space Needle, Chihuly Ego Garden, the EMP, Pacific Science Center, and other attractions.

Westlake (station and Center) is roughly four blocks from the Pike Place market, the last block of which (if walking directly west from Westlake) is very steep downhill. If you add a 2-block walk south from Westlake to Pike Street, the four blocks to the market are more level. In Seattle streets are laid out at 20 blocks to a mile, so 4 blocks = 1/5 of a mile.

From the market (say the "entry" corner of Pike Street and Pike Place) it's two blocks down to the central waterfront, and I do mean "down." There's a stairway (Pike Hillclimb) that will deposit you around 4 blocks north of the ferry terminal, or more or less opposite the aquarium and other waterfront attractions.

At the moment that whole strip is under massive construction due to the seawall requiring replacement, which unfortunately will probably still be in progress during your stay.

As far as your timing is concerned, the main thing is to hit the Pike Place Market as early in the day as possible; during cruise season by 10:30 or 11AM it's wall-to-wall people. If it was me, I'd do something like this -

Get off the train and go straight to the PPM. Then walk down First Avenue to Marion Street (six blocks, downhill) where there's a skybridge over Alaskan Way to the ferry terminal. Ride to Bainbridge, walk 15 min. to Eagle Harbor for lunch at the Harbour Pub or Doc's grill. But see below.

Then return to Seattle, and either take a bus ($2.50) to Westlake then the monorail to Seattle Center (another $2.25) or, if there are 2 or more of you, just hop in a cab at the ferry terminal and go straight to Seattle Center (probably around $11 plus tip.)

Visit the Space Needle and Chihuly, then the monorail back to Westlake and back to the airport.

Dinner - because of the waterfront construction and mainly because it's pretty much a tourist trap (IMO) I'd stay clear of the Crab Pot. In fact, while a lot of locals pooh-pooh it, the food in the Space Needle is actually pretty good, and while there's a minimum spend ($35) required per person, a meal in the Space Needle includes the elevator, which would cost you twenty bucks or more, making dinner actually something of a deal, considering the view.

If you're really dying for a "crab feast," wait until your cruise gets to Juneau then join the throngs patronizing Tracy's, where prices are comparable to the Crab Pot, but at least Tracy's is locally owned and sourced (as much as one can locally source crab, given that most species are caught in the winter and frozen.)

Note from above - If you want an equally scenic but more convenient and (IMO) more fun experience, consider the West Seattle Water Taxi instead of the Bainbridge ferry. The water taxi leaves from a pier next to the ferry docks, and runs across Elliott Bay to Seacrest Park in West Seattle.

The views from the water taxi back across to the skyline are terrific - http://gardyloo.us/20091226_31a.JPG - and there's a free shuttle bus (or you can walk or bike or kayak) out to Alki Beach, which offers spectacular views of downtown, passing ferries, and the Olympic Mountains - http://gardyloo.us/20140513_47H2.jpg

Right on the water taxi dock is a VERY fun little cafe/bar, Marination Ma Kai, with a marvelous selection of Korean/Hawaiian/Mexican food, shave ice, and GREAT cocktails, all consumed with that dynamite view.

While the Bainbridge ferry is a great experience, so is this, and would take you to a part of Seattle most cruise visitors never see.

EDITED TO ADD:

If you take the water taxi and want something more substantial than Ma Kai's food, a block south of the dock is Salty's on Alki, a pretty good restaurant with the same killer view of downtown. Their weekend brunch is very popular, but if you're not able to go on a Saturday or Sunday, then their lunches and happy hour offerings are not too bad either. Here's a picture of Salty's from the water taxi dock - http://gardyloo.us/20140513_11a.JPG

Edited by Gardyloo

The Market is about 3 blocks from the last Light Rail stop at Westlake. When you disembark in the tunnel look for the overhead sign with the lowest street number, I think it's 3rd St. The Market starts on 1st but mostly the street below 1st. I stayed at the Inn at the Market last yr for a wedding and it was a very easy walk, even with luggage.

Are you going to Bainbridge for a specific reason? If it's ONLY for the Seattle skyline view, I'd suggest the water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle instead. Or even the Bremerton ferry as it travels closer to land (W seattle where you often see eagles). And I'd suggest doing it in the evening ... catch the day view on the trip over, and the lights at night.

You'lll have light until 9:30pm.

Gardyloo posted some photos of W Seattle in this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015908&highlight=saltys

I agree with just about everything Gardyloo and Mapleleaves said, except...much as I enjoy the water taxi to Alki and Marination Ma Kai, I still think there's a lot to be said for the ferry to Bainbridge. The state ferries are kind of an institution--thousands of locals commute that way every day. The trip is longer, so you'll see a little more of the Sound. I think the view as you glide into Eagle Harbor is just as pretty as the one coming back into Elliott Bay on the Seattle end. And there are a lot more good choices for a meal or a snack over there (Blackbird Bakery, Mora Ice Cream, Streamliner Diner, as well as the Harbour Public House and Doc's, which Gardyloo mentioned), and shopping (Eagle Harbor Book Company, Churchmouse Yarn and Tea, the Farmers' Market on Saturdays).

And I'll second the recommendation to skip the Crab Pot. it's not known for the freshest, best-prepared seafood. If you want a seafood boil in that style, take the light rail back toward the airport, and get off at the Othello stop. Right nearby you'll find the Cajun Crawfish (who also does crab and other shellfish). You'll get more and better for your money there.

Wow thank you all for your very detailed responses! I thought that the last stop was Seattle center, which is why I thought it was far from Pike Place. We hope to get an early start and get away from Pike Place before it gets too crowded. You are correct that the only reason for choosing Bainbridge ferry was because I read it had the best views of the city. I will definitely look into the water taxi. I was pretty much settling on the crab pot because I couldn’t really find anything that looked better. Either the menus were limited, prices were too high, or it was just located out of the way. I looked up Salty’s OMG its expensive. A 12 oz steak for $52!! No thanks! I also thought the space needle was very expensive too. We don’t mind spending a decent amount of money on food but $20 appetizers and $40-90 entrees is just too much for us. We may end up going to the Cajun Crawfish but I appreciate all the suggestions.

Quote from Luvsnorkeling:

“Upon returning to Seattle, took the footbridge from the ferry and walked about 4 blocks straight uphill to a Starbucks for some coffee. Then walked about 4 more blocks to Columbia Tower. To us, this is a better option than the Space Needle. It is much taller than the Space Needle and cheaper (adults 55 and older can ride the elevators to the top for only $9; others pay just a bit more). From the 72nd floor, you have a breathtaking 360 degree view of the entire downtown area of Seattle (including the Space Needle), Mariners and Seahawks stadiums, Puget Sound and many of the bridges and islands. Others we met there said that there is so much crowding around the windows in the Space Needle and so much protective material to keep people from jumping that you can't get decent photos. There was nothing to block the view in Columbia Tower.”

What are your opinions on this? I guess the main visual difference is height and I believe the Columbia tower viewing is behind glass. We really don’t have time to wait in long lines for the space needle but I wasn’t sure if I bought tickets in advance if we wouldn’t have to wait in line.

When deciding between Columbia Tower and the Space Needle, I guess it comes down to what kind of experience you're looking for. Do you want a spectacular view, with less of a crowd, and less of a wait, and costing less money? That would be Columbia Tower. Is it important to you to go up in one of Seattle's iconic structures, the one that defines our skyline, and the one that everybody is going to ask you about when you get home--and cost, crowds and lines be damned? That, of course, would be the Space Needle. If it was me, the Space Needle would win, hands down--but my priorities are not everyone's priorities.

The Space Needle observation deck has an open-air walkway around the outside, but you're still behind a guardrail and cables that keep anything (or anybody!) very sizable from falling or being thrown off. And yes, I believe the observation level at Columbia Tower is entirely indoors.

Your advance ticket to the Space Needle is for a specific time. You get in line behind the sign for your reserved time, and they board you on the elevators pretty close to that time. You'll probably have to wait a few minutes, but nothing like the wait if you don't book in advance!

And if you want a good seafood dinner on the waterfront at a reasonable price, take a look at the Sunset Dinner specials at Anthony's Bell Street Diner at Pier 66. Their seafood is usually pretty good, and it's a nice location--great views. If the timing works for you, it's a good deal.

And if you want a good seafood dinner on the waterfront at a reasonable price, take a look at the Sunset Dinner specials at Anthony's Bell Street Diner at Pier 66. Their seafood is usually pretty good, and it's a nice location--great views. If the timing works for you, it's a good deal.

That sounds about perfect for the level of place we're looking to eat at. Nothing fancy, just decent food at a reasonable price (closer to $25pp than $50).

On a Monday night (July 21) with only one cruise ship in port the next day, do you think it would have a long line if we don't make reservations? Or would you highly recommend reservations?

Edited by dbsb3233

Curious... When I look at Google Maps Street View of downtown Seattle (near Pike Place Market, University Station, etc) I see lots over overhead streetcar power lines. But when I searched downtown transportation options the only streetcar for that area I see says it doesn't even start construction until next year.

Is there another streetcar service that I'm missing? Does the regular city bus use those?

Curious... When I look at Google Maps Street View of downtown Seattle (near Pike Place Market, University Station, etc) I see lots over overhead streetcar power lines. But when I searched downtown transportation options the only streetcar for that area I see says it doesn't even start construction until next year.

Is there another streetcar service that I'm missing? Does the regular city bus use those?

They're used by trolley buses and by "hybrid" aka "dual mode" buses.

Seattle-articulated-trolley-bus.jpg

Edited by Gardyloo

I have read as many posts as I can but still have a few questions. We will be in Seattle on June 26th. We are staying at sleep inn and plan to take the light rail then the monorail to Seattle center. I read that Pike Place is only 2 blocks from there but it looks much further on the map. Is it just a few blocks? We plan to walk around the market in the morning, catch a ferry to Bainbridge island, then stop at space needle & chihuly garden. Finally have dinner at the Crab Pot. On the map the ferry terminal looks like a good distance from Pike Place, do you think it's walkable? Also do you think its feasible to visit all the above places in a leisurely manner in one day? Would you recommend visiting those places in a different order? I read that the sun doesn't set until about 9pm so that's an advantage. I just want to take full advantage of our one full day there without rushing around. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Sounds like Luvsnorkeling did pretty much what you're thinking of doing, might get some good info from his/her post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2216690

That sounds about perfect for the level of place we're looking to eat at. Nothing fancy, just decent food at a reasonable price (closer to $25pp than $50).

On a Monday night (July 21) with only one cruise ship in port the next day, do you think it would have a long line if we don't make reservations? Or would you highly recommend reservations?

I tend not to even try to eat around the Market and the waterfront in tourist season, because it's ALWAYS busy and crowded. So I can't say for sure, but I'm betting you'd have a good bit of a wait without a reservation.

Sounds like Luvsnorkeling did pretty much what you're thinking of doing, might get some good info from his/her post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2216690

Ha yeah I saw their post shortly after I posted my question. I actually replied to their post as well.

Thanks for your thoughts on space needle vs columbia tower. I agree, I think we will just buy tickets in advance. Also I think Anthony's might be just the right fit for us! Thanks so so much!

another vote for Anthony's !

There's also Anthony's Fish Bar which is in the same bldg as Anthony's Bell St Diner .... more casual but has outdoor seating.

https://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/detail/anthonys-fish-bar

I remember some photos of it from an old trip report .... see if I can find it.

p.s. the 1st and 3rd photos are from Anthonys .... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1867710

Edited by mapleleaves
trip report

If you decide to go to Anthony’s just remember that you have to order before 6pm to get the Sunset dinners. We had dinner at Anthony’s in Tacoma a couple of weeks ago, it was fabulous. As an added bonus there were a couple of Whales playing about 50 feet from the deck where we were eating, they were just swimming back and forth. That’s the second time I’ve seen them there.

I think we will definitely go there! Does the water taxi only go to Alki beach? I'm looking at the site and i'm not seeing any routes or destinations other than "west seattle/downtown seattle".

http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WSeattle.aspx

There's a weekdays-only boat that goes to Vashon Island; timing is aimed at commuters. http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/Vashon.aspx

I think we will definitely go there! Does the water taxi only go to Alki beach? I'm looking at the site and i'm not seeing any routes or destinations other than "west seattle/downtown seattle".

http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/WSeattle.aspx

Alki is on the West Seattle peninsula--that's the boat you want.

Terminology. Alki Beach is actually located on the west side of Duwamish Head, the "point" of the West Seattle peninsula. Alki Point is even further west, where the Alki lighthouse is located.

The West Seattle water taxi lands at Seacrest Park, on the east side of Duwamish Head (thus facing downtown across Elliott Bay.) However many locals refer to the whole waterfront strip, from Salty's restaurant all the way around to Alki Point and beyond, as "Alki." When we speak of West Seattle, most people are referring to the residential and commercial areas above the bluffs along the waterfront, an old and increasingly trendy part of town.

From the water taxi landing to Alki Beach/Point there's a level walking/bike path (around 1 1/2 miles) or free shuttle buses timed to meet the water taxis.

There's a weekdays-only boat that goes to Vashon Island; timing is aimed at commuters. http://www.kingcounty.gov/transportation/kcdot/WaterTaxi/Vashon.aspx

The commuter boat is a lovely ride, but the only restaurant that you have as an option for waterfront dining on Vashon is the mexican restaurant at the end of the ferry dock called La Playa. There are only a couple of commuter times.