P&o from southampton

Confused as to why duty free shop on board may not be open.we are going on Britannia next year from Southampton to med,we are calling at Gibraltar,will we be able to buy duty free tobacco and spirits from on board shop,also what are shops on Britannia like ,thanks

The duty free shop will be open if one of the ports of call is Gibraltar. Although you will be able to buy tobacco products and take them back to the cabin for your use you will only be able to buy spirits and then collect them a day or so before you disembark the ship. You can order spirits from room service but these will not be at duty free prices. Of course you can take a bottle of whatever you want on-board for cabin use. We always take a bottle of gin for DH, a couple of bottles of wine for me and sometimes a bottle of champagne for sailaway.

Enjoy your cruise.

Buy your spirits and tobacco in Gibraltar - it's really good value.

It's also worth noting that luxury watches and electronics are also much cheaper in Gibraltar, although you of course have to bear in mind import duties... ;)

What makes you think it won't be?

On royal carribean last year from Southampton to med duty free shop never opened,heard it made a difference if gibralter was a port of call,thanks all for replies,never been with p&o this will be first time

The duty free shop will be open if one of the ports of call is Gibraltar. Although you will be able to buy tobacco products and take them back to the cabin for your use you will only be able to buy spirits and then collect them a day or so before you disembark the ship. You can order spirits from room service but these will not be at duty free prices. Of course you can take a bottle of whatever you want on-board for cabin use. We always take a bottle of gin for DH' date=' a couple of bottles of wine for me and sometimes a bottle of champagne for sailaway.

Enjoy your cruise.[/quote']

Wow. Do you P&O allow you to carry on your own alcohol?? Our usual cruise line certainly doesn't.

Wow. Do you P&O allow you to carry on your own alcohol?? Our usual cruise line certainly doesn't.

You can take booze on board at Southampton or any other port. The cruise line provide glasses in the cabin for this purpose and the steward will get you ice and lemon. You are clearly with the wrong cruise line. :)

BTW are you a proper Sandancer :) :)

Edited by daiB

Yes. I am a proper sandancer. We usually cruise with Celebrity and can take 2 bottles of wine on at embarkation. No spirits though. Also we get a 2 hour "social hour" with free drinks so have not needed to take anything on with us. [emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485] However, if we cruise with P&O we will be at the bottom of the food chain LOL.

Yes. I am a proper sandancer. We usually cruise with Celebrity and can take 2 bottles of wine on at embarkation. No spirits though. Also we get a 2 hour "social hour" with free drinks so have not needed to take anything on with us. [emoji485][emoji485][emoji485][emoji485] However, if we cruise with P&O we will be at the bottom of the food chain LOL.

Had to look the sandancer bit up ----- ;)

Having done both P&O and Celebrity I have to say that P&O is FAR more generous re what you can bring on to the ship re alcohol. Basically, you can bring on what you want (within reason ...perhaps crates of wine isn't allowed :D:D:D) when you embark and at every port you visit. You can also drink anything purchased onboard in your cabin -- wine and spirits.

What annoyed me on Celebrity is when we did an excursion classed as a Wine Tasting experience and the chance to buy some local wines and we couldn't take any wine back on to the ship as they would keep it until the end of the cruise. Not a lot of use on a fly cruise. We ended up with a bottle or 2 of olive oil ---- nice, but not the same on the balcony at sailaway :D A healthier option I suppose.......