Can the Maasdam still satisfy

richard1s

I liked it so much, I posted a detailed review, with pictures, video, menus, maps:

http://www.dwdav.com/maasdam2/maasdam5.html

IMG_3308.JPG

I'm enjoying reading your report as we sail on the Maasdam in under 2 weeks! I LOVE the photo at the top of your report and wonder it I might use it on my Facebook page...it's time to start counting down the days!

Just back noro virus still rampant. lack of staff to serve properly, an old ship with numerous noise issues ,we saw our waiter handling mooring lines at tender stations, overworked crew and cut backs in food quality. just saying 250 cruises

we'll be back on the Maasdam this October for her last roundtrip 50 day Transatlantic from Ft Lauderdale to Europe.. this will be our 5th year in a row for that cruise.. next year the Rotterdam takes over as the Maasdam is being repositioned to the west coast-Alaska and then to Australia.. sad to see her go away..

So this Caribbean season will be her last? Might have to book a cruise on her!

Just back noro virus still rampant. lack of staff to serve properly, an old ship with numerous noise issues ,we saw our waiter handling mooring lines at tender stations, overworked crew and cut backs in food quality. just saying 250 cruises

Sorry that your Maasdam experience was not what you would have preferred. Many MDR staff are utilized elsewhere, as needed.

When you say that NORO was still rampant, were you privy to the number of cases that were reported?

When you disembarked, were they delaying embarkation due to deep cleaning?

Thanks for your replies.

My wife and I are of the opinion that we have never had a bad cruise...some have just been better than others. Because we had an excellent experience on the old Noordam during its last year of service, and because the itinerary was very attractive, we decided to give Maasdam a try. Sadly, our cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal from May 1 - 15, does not rank high on our list as it failed to meet our expectations in a number of areas and on a number of occasions. I don't think it's necessary to cite chapter and verse, as much of what we found lacking has previously been mentioned on many earlier threads; i.e., food quality, limited menus, entertainment, reduced staff, cleanliness, etc..

Did we still enjoy the cruise? Yes. Would we sail Maasdam again? No.

Also, at this stage, I believe Maasdam has a chronic problem with Norovirus which cannot be rectified while it is in service, no matter how diligently the crew sprays handrails, wipes down passageway and elevator walls, and dons hazmat suits and masks while cleaning "infected" areas. Just the frequency with which passengers and crew handle key cards is enough to negate efforts at controlling the spread. Until such time as Maasdam is taken out of service and thoroughly sanitized, including bedding, pillows, and mattress covers, any efforts to eradicate the virus while cruising is an exercise in futility.

I'm enjoying reading your report as we sail on the Maasdam in under 2 weeks! I LOVE the photo at the top of your report and wonder it I might use it on my Facebook page...it's time to start counting down the days!

Sure, you're welcome to use it. That was taken in Quebec City.

IMG_3321.JPG

I disembarked Maasdam on Saturday, June 13 after a 7-night Boston-to-Montreal sailing, which was awesome! I was told the average age on the cruise was 62. I was also told that Maasdam was sailing full.

We were at Code Red for the first four days of the cruise. That meant no bar menus, no towels in the gym, no shared service items on the tables, no flowers anywhere, and no pool towels. All of these things were available by request, of course.

Prior to Maasdam, I sailed on Crown Princess and Norwegian Epic. Epic is presently the fourth largest cruise ship in the world, weighing in about 100,000 GT more than Maasdam. My biggest surprise is that Epic didn't feel too big to me and Maasdam didn't feel too small.

Maasdam's crew were wonderful. I loved the food in the Rotterdam. I liked very much Adagio (classical duo), the Neptunes (jazz trio), guitarist Kevin, and Jamm the Piano Man. Showroom at Sea entertainment was good.

My ocean-view stateroom and all the public rooms were in very good condition; it was obvious that the ship and been renovated in recent years. It felt as modern as Epic. And given that Maasdam was sailing full, the ship felt half empty. Public spaces were never full. Ever. I was told a lot of HAL passengers spend huge amounts of time in their staterooms. I love the Lido Pool on HAL ships, and the magrodome roof came in handy as we sailed down the St. Lawrence river and it rained all day. (Every other day was delightfully sunny!)

My only beef with HAL is that the bar servers told me during sail-away that I could not have a drink in the hot tub. After a discussion with the Beverage Manager, I was told I could drink in the hot tub. What a contrast with Princess and Norwegian, where bar servers actively offer drinks to folks in the hot tub. This was my fourteenth cruise and the first time I was ever told it was forbidden to drink in a hot tub! It's a cruise for goodness sake.

Hot tub drinking aside, I had such a nice time on Maasdam that I'm now on a wait-list for a single cabin in Koningsdam. Apparently the single cabins are selling so well that there are virtually none available. I hope that is fixed with the second Pinnacle class ship.

OP, don't hesitate to sail aboard Maasdam. Happy sailing! :)