Dream - 11 Night Nola to San Juan Sailing Questions

foxesden1

We got a whale of a offer from Carnival this week, and could not pass it up. So we are now booked on a 11 night Nola to San Juan Journey Cruise!

We hit High Season for our time in Nola so the hotels were slim pickings and $$$$! We are staying at the Crown Plaza French Quarter before, and have all ready booked a kids tour of Nola the day before the trip departs.

My questions are:

Transport from the French Quarter to the Ships Port - Taxi - how long does it take and cost?

Places to eat dinner / lunch (not too spicy) on the Saturday?

How long are the lines at Cafe du Monde for breakfast????

Best tour on the Saturday night? My DH will be doing this one by him self.

____

Ship Questions

Menu for 11 nights?

Room Service menu, is it the standard one, or is a fee charged now?

Fun Times and Camp Carnival for 9-11 year olds - does anyone have any for this itn?

If we dont have FTTF what time to arrive at the port by?

What special classes, etc on Journey cruises do they offer?

Can you still bring 1 bottle per person of wine? And then a case of soda? (we got the $2.99 deal on the water bottles, thanks for that tip!)

Anything about the Dream that we should know about?

Thanks everyone!

T

We got a whale of a offer from Carnival this week, and could not pass it up. So we are now booked on a 11 night Nola to San Juan Journey Cruise!

We hit High Season for our time in Nola so the hotels were slim pickings and $$$$! We are staying at the Crown Plaza French Quarter before, and have all ready booked a kids tour of Nola the day before the trip departs.

My questions are:

Transport from the French Quarter to the Ships Port - Taxi - how long does it take and cost?

About 5 - 10 minutes and about $20

Maspero's on Decatur/Peters near Crescent City (another option) and across from the old Jax brewery

They range from insane to forget about it

Try after 10a

Shoe Leather Special

____

Ship Questions

Menu for 11 nights?

Yes.

Standard with a couple new items for $$. You're thinking of NCL :eek:

Fun Times and Camp Carnival for 9-11 year olds - does anyone have any for this itn?

Yes. I'm sure someone does.

Yes. I'm a smarta$$. :p

I always get there around 1030a. If you get there early you'll be in the first group to board after the Anointed Ones (Plat & D) and FTTF. Otherwise get there after 130p and you should be able to walk right on

Dunno - they don't actually start the Journeys until October. Saw something vague and general about it on the website last night. BTW, they have opened shorex bookings for our cruise

Can you still bring 1 bottle per person of wine? And then a case of soda? (we got the $2.99 deal on the water bottles, thanks for that tip!)

Yes. 2 if you're doing the B2B - don't remember if you are.

Edit: never mind about the B2B. I just learned to read yesterday.

Probably. My first time on her too.

See above remark re: SA

Thanks everyone!

T

ps "Journeys"

great.. um what is that other place????

i was thinking it might start with a Z?

or a F?

Sounds like.. ?

And sorry I did catch my typo, I am looking for a copy of the 11 night menus... and fun times... and kids club sked of events.. LOL

IMHO, Cafe du Monde is an overrated tourist spot. There are so many great breakfast places. My favorite is Mother's on Poydras St. Ask your hotel concierge what his/her favorite breakfast spot in the quarter.

BTW, see you on board. It will be a great cruise.

Edited by Fla Senior

Mother's is a good place for any meal. The Coffee Pot on St Peter is a great breakfast place, also. Cafe du Monde probably serves about as many locals as it does tourists. We gotta stop by for our fix of cafe and powdered sugar!

Edited by cdavid46

great.. um what is that other place????

i was thinking it might start with a Z?

or a F?

Sounds like.. ?

And sorry I did catch my typo, I am looking for a copy of the 11 night menus... and fun times... and kids club sked of events.. LOL

Check on the roll call...

For seafood, Deanie's on Iberville and Dauphine. We have not been to Mother's or Cafe du Monde. Mr B's Bistro is also good (Iverville and Royal). Pat O'Brien's also has good food. We ate at Jager Haus on our last trip. It was OK. Not sure if it was a bad night

The Journeys cruises are going to have a series of five classes: "For the Love of Food," "All About Art," "Basic Photography," "Social Media 101," and "Navigating the Stars" as part of the Academy of Fun program. There will be local chefs on board giving presentations as well as special tours/meals in their restaurants as well as local experts and entertainers that will be doing presentations based on the local culture of the unique locations we will be visiting.

I'm excited about being on the cruise and looking forward to meeting many of you.

Mufalettas from Central Grocery is a "must". A great little place known mostly to locals is Hobnobbers. We always eat breakfast there pre-cruise but have seen lots of great review about lunch as well. Huge breakfast for $5.00 but I get the shrimp and grits and bloody mary. Quaint place, hidden away in a little alley. Wonder owners and staff. It's not Brennon's or Antoine's for sure. Paper places and mix and match tables and chair, but delicious food, great prices, and huge servings! (BTW, sadly they are not open on Sundays so our next cruise on Dream we won't be able to do breakfast there, so probably will be Mother's.) FYI - Café DuMond, although wonderful, is not full breakfast, just beignets. Masperos (as another posted noted) is good, too, and down by Jax brewery, etc. Another tradition we have - Voodoo Juice from John LaFite's Blacksmith Shop.

Hi- For a really nice lunch,Antoine's has a 3 course lunch for $20.15,and might still have 3 small orange mango martini's for 25 cents each. You can get a tour of the restaurant after the lunch. I spent about $25.00,including tax and tips,and it was well worth it. Normally Antoine's is very expensive! I savored every bite of my lunch,and plan on going again on Oct. 3rd. Kendra P.S. no reservations required,but you might want to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

My questions are:

____

Ship Questions

Menu for 11 nights?

Thanks everyone!

T

I can help you with café du monde. Yes there is always a long line.Do not get in that line. it is for take outs. people don't know that. walk around to the front,walk in and grab a table. I am so glad that a local told us that.Saved us a lot of time.

Mufalettas from Central Grocery is a "must".

If you want a good muffelatta, you want to go to Frank's - where the locals go. Much better food, and no line of tourons out the door and down the block. It's just a door or two down from Central. Nice balcony for dining overlooking the "park".

Thank you for posting this I will also be on a Journey's 11 day cruise and am wandering what we will be doing on all of those sea days

Hmmm, the Journeys cruise I booked only has 4 sea days, this as much as some 7 day cruises...:confused:

Edited by RaiderFaninNM

Thank you for posting this I will also be on a Journey's 11 day cruise and am wandering what we will be doing on all of those sea days

I love sea days. I will be in the pool, drink in hand, taking advantage of the cheers program!