Floatplane tours in Ketchikan

CruisingSince2012

The floatplane tour is booked with Seawind Aviation for 11:30. I do not like that time, but 2:00 would have been worse.

So the single plane turned out to not be an issue? I'm assuming there wasn't a search about this vendor with your mother as well.

So the single plane turned out to not be an issue? I'm assuming there wasn't a search about this vendor with your mother as well.

SA has two planes and two pilots. She liked that.

Money was an issue. SA has a deal going on now that saves her $40 for the two of us.

Now if only they were like everyone else and departed at noon . . .

SA has two planes and two pilots. She liked that.

Money was an issue. SA has a deal going on now that saves her $40 for the two of us.

Now if only they were like everyone else and departed at noon . . .

One pilot has a "history". But this works out well for you, have a great trip. :)

One pilot has a "history". But this works out well for you, have a great trip. :)

We are booked with Seawind Aviation in August for their Misty flight and Crabfeast. What do you mean that one pilot has a "history"? Please explain.

We booked Family Air based on your excellent 2014 review! Misty Fjords in 13 days! Here we come!

I've got my fingers crossed that you have beautiful weather and wonderful day in Ketchikan!!

Thanks, Budget Queen! I guess we will have to do some thinking about this tour. There are alot of great reviews of this company on Trip Advisor and so that is how we chose it for our flightseeing in Ketchikan.:confused:

Thanks, Budget Queen! I guess we will have to do some thinking about this tour. There are alot of great reviews of this company on Trip Advisor and so that is how we chose it for our flightseeing in Ketchikan.

People give companies high ratings because their experiences were awesome. I can't imagine a company getting a low rating just because of a local news story most travelers did not read. If people knew about this obviously they would not even book a tour with that company.

As for me and my mom, the price and time were perfect and having two people flying two planes makes her feel better. With no knowledge of something bad in the company's history, it was a no-brainer for her.

Of course the price will not impact Mom's enjoyment of the tour. The problem is during the planning stage, she is unable to get money out of her head. That is just the way she is, especially after spending thousands of dollars on the cruise itself, two one-way flights, and travel insurance. She also reserved a hotel room and will buy wine on the ship. So all she can think about is the cost of the whole trip piling up. And no, I can't help her out. I can only afford souvenirs and meals at HAL's 2 specialty restaurants (Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill).

Can you see wildlife from the floatplane or only during the landing? The main reason I always thought a cruise would be better than a flight is proximity to animals. This will be our only chance to see whales off the ship.

We flew with Michelle a couple of weeks ago... Agree she and her whole group of people are top notch.

As for seeing wildlife, I saw a bear, but it was soo far away, it was just a little spot lumbering around. Would not have seen it if it had not been a clear area on the ground and the fact that it was on the move.

We also saw Orcas... SCORE! ... but altho she circled low and we could see them plain as day, it was nothing like being in the boat whale watching.

Good job on you doing your research...it's a little tedious working thru all the information and opinions, but it will be worth it in the end.

Have fun!!

Sheila

that is total time. it is just a few minutes to the planes from pickup.

Not true with Michelle from Island Wings - it was 2 hours flying time and another 10-15 minutes to and from ship. Used her last week - fantastic!!!!

We did a 2 hour floatplane trip in Ketchikan with Michelle of Island Wings. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!! So serene and beautiful.

She is the only female owner of her own company in Ketchikan and has been flying for over 35 years. We landed on a lake (didn't even know we were down) and taxied to shore where we spent about 30 minutes taking photos and admiring the spectacular scenery.

There were 6 passengers on our flight. One fellow had flown with Michelle 3 times previously. Hubby was a bit apprehensive when I booked this flight but he admitted it was one of the top highlights of our trip.

Michelle does book up quickly. Communication with her office was very prompt.

We also did Island Wings with Michelle several years ago. Here is my blog post from our recent trip.

http://www.iluvwineandtravel.com/?p=1930

We went on Island Wings a couple of years ago and saw quite a few mountain goats, starting at about 39 seconds into this video. We arranged this trip the day before on a whim. I really enjoyed the flight.

Misty Fjords Flightseeing & Mountain Goats:

Sent from my Nexus 7

We also did Island Wings with Michelle several years ago. Here is my blog post from our recent trip.

http://www.iluvwineandtravel.com/?p=1930

Quick question about taking wine back to the ship while in port. The answer could depend on what ship you were sailing on, but did they allow you to keep your wine with you, or was it held until the final night of the cruise?

Quick question about taking wine back to the ship while in port. The answer could depend on what ship you were sailing on, but did they allow you to keep your wine with you, or was it held until the final night of the cruise?

I was on celebrity, but they did not even seem to notice it on 2 different occasions in my back pack. In other ports, I have occasionally been told on other lines and ships I had to check it in at a desk, but I have never done it.

Edited by clc6p