A few questions about Alaska excursions

snurfle

My husband and I are going on a 7-day RT cruise with Holland America departing Vancouver this Saturday. We're trying to workout our excursions and I wanted some advice from those who have been before.

I'd like to go whale watching and he'd like to do a seaplane tour. Ideally we'd do both but it looks like Juneau would be the best for both of those -- which would you do there? There are a few whale watching options and a five glacier seaplane tour.

Are there any seaplane tour operators out of Skagway? Are the whales good there? We're happy to book our own thing and not an excursion but I'm not finding a lot of details.

We were thinking of doing Ketchikan on our own, wandering the town. Is that the best location for that sort of thing? Is there much to see in Skagway proper? There's a misty fjords floatplane tour in Ketchikan but I don't want to be left with nothing to do in Skagway and we don't want to do more than two excursions.

Oh, and what happens if you book, say, a seaplane tour and the weather prevents you from actually going? Refund? Tough luck?

Thanks!

Edited by snurfle
another question

Juneau is prime whale watching. Ketchican has great floatplane trips. You might be able to fly out to see bears and salmon- not sure if they have begun at this point. But it is also late to be planning so I would get on the phone and make your reservations.

If you have (or want to) read about the gold rush in Alaska- there is a trolly around Skagway that visits many of the old goldfish sites, including the old cemetery where folks like Soapy Smith are buried. An excursion yes but inexpensive and not taxing. Don't know how good it is but we are booked for it in August.

Oh- and refund if the weather does not permit the excursion. These are very ethical folks.

Edited by 5waldos

If I had to only do 2 tours, I would skip doing a tour in Skagway. We did the train ride in Skagway. Then we had lunch at Skagway Brewery and browsed the shops. The trolley sounds nice. I don't recall that being an option when we went. If I recall, there was also a guided walk you could sign up for in Skagway to hear some historic talk about the places along the main street in Skagway.

Edited by Cheryl H

You aren't going to Ketchikan? There are numerous float plane vendors there. I highly recommend Southeast Aviation.

Whale watching is 100% sightings of humpbacks out of Juneau. No floatplanes in Skagway.

If the vendor cancels, full refunds, if you cancel, last minute- none. Verify this directly with the vendor.

I think it's a little misguided to not want to do more than "2 excursions"?? (with me, thinking "activities"?? ) There is so much more than just wandering around ports.

There has been a LOT written on all kinds of activities in every Alaska port.

You aren't going to Ketchikan? There are numerous float plane vendors there. I highly recommend Southeast Aviation.

Whale watching is 100% sightings of humpbacks out of Juneau. No floatplanes in Skagway.

If the vendor cancels, full refunds, if you cancel, last minute- none. Verify this directly with the vendor.

I think it's a little misguided to not want to do more than "2 excursions"?? (with me, thinking "activities"?? ) There is so much more than just wandering around ports.

There has been a LOT written on all kinds of activities in every Alaska port.

Yes, we're going to Ketchikan, but we only want to do the bigger 'excursions' in two of the ports for budget reasons. I had gotten the impression that Ketchikan was best suited for exploring the town (as opposed to Skagway), so I was hoping to find out ways we could do whale watching and a float plane in Juneau and Skagway. Looks like that's not possible.

We could do a floatplane tour in Ketchikan and still have time to explore town, but then I'm not sure what we'll do in Skagway.

Yes, we're going to Ketchikan, but we only want to do the bigger 'excursions' in two of the ports for budget reasons. I had gotten the impression that Ketchikan was best suited for exploring the town (as opposed to Skagway), so I was hoping to find out ways we could do whale watching and a float plane in Juneau and Skagway. Looks like that's not possible.

We could do a floatplane tour in Ketchikan and still have time to explore town, but then I'm not sure what we'll do in Skagway.

You could rent a car in Skagway and drive up to Emerald Lake. It wouldn't be as pricey as the train excursion, and you would be able to explore on your own. Then you could whale watch in Juneau and do a float plane tour in Ketchikan.

Edited by tx_jackie

I think you've got that backward. With only 800 residents, Skagway's basically a Disneyland for cruise tourists with walking tours spruced up storefronts, a historical cemetery, etc. Ketchikan's well known for its floatplane tours and only has a small area tarted up for the tourists on foot. There's the a few sights beyond that, but if those are your two splurges, it seems like an easy choice to do the plane in Ketchikan.

Whale watching definitely out of Juneau. In Ketchikan I'd choose either floatplane or totem poles at with Totem Bight State Park (my favorite) or Saxman Village. As others have said Skagway is your walking around port unless you want a train ride.

Juneau--contact Harv and Marv

Skagway--contact Trails of 98

Ketchikan--just explore the town on your own We have booked with Island Wings, we added that on not really planning to do an excursion at this port. But, I this is our chance and opportunity to just do it. So we are!

Juneau-contact Harv and Marv

Skagway--contact Trails of 98

Ketchikan-just explore the town on your own. Or check out Island Wings.

We did not plan to book any excursions there, but this is our chance and opportunity to just do it. So we are doing it.

Our trip is in July. Enjoy your trip.

But, if you are going to book, then do it today.

We booked months ago. Or just book when you are on the ship or come off the ship. Plenty of vendors, I am sure. But I like to have things all booked before I travel.

Also consider combo tours that allow you to see more sights....

Here's some Top 5 port suggestions for each port by one cruise line...

[YOUTUBE]e_eMbvWq8lU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]F4PEcfMK1eY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]mjOwP2OAuPU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks folks! We've got a whale watching trip booked in Juneau (Harv and Marv were full, but they recommended someone else), and now working on a floatplane trip in Ketchikan.

We used Juneau Whale Watch, they were fantastic. We saw pods of Orca's which apparently is very rare, along with humpback whales! Have fun :)

Just back from Alaska.

We did a Harv and Marv whale watching trip from Juneau which was amazing. Small boat containing 5 of us ( 2 parties) and we saw numerous whales and included a visit to Mendenhall on way back.

In Skagway we used Chilkoot Charters and Tours and went into Yukon by bus and back on the train - again great and saw bears from the train.

In Ketchikan we visited Saxman which was very interesting. Only took a couple of hours and then wandered the shops.

We used Juneau Whale Watch, they were fantastic. We saw pods of Orca's which apparently is very rare, along with humpback whales! Have fun :)

There area resident orcas in Auke Bay, seen, on average maybe 2 days per week.

For Flightseeing from Skagway try contacting Paul at Mountain Flying. He is based down in Haines but offers tours from both. Last year I took a flight over Glacier Bay and it was a fantastic experience.

http://www.mountainflyingservice.com/

Can you compare the experience of flying in a small plane over Glacier Bay with mountain flying service as compared to flying over the icefields, with a possible landing in a helicopter? Wondering if you have done both.

Can you compare the experience of flying in a small plane over Glacier Bay with mountain flying service as compared to flying over the icefields, with a possible landing in a helicopter? Wondering if you have done both.

I have done both, numerous times. First, there is a difference in aircraft and depends on your preferences. All the helicopter tours land on glaciers, if noted as such. It wouldn't be the usual "tour" without a landing. "Better" equals longer, and with longer is sometimes 2 landings. So another "choice" to consider in the mix.

I won't claim one is superior over the other, because, in my opinion each is very worthwhile and unique at the time. Your experience can't be "repeated".. :) Even going to the same place the next year- it will have changes, and new sights to marvel at. :)

My touring involves a lot of Alaska flying, this has been my preference. Every trip is different and I never tire of the spectacular expanse of Alaska from the air.

Wondering what you are referencing?

I believe she is referring to a tragic accident in the past. Yes, I'm aware. I felt completely safe the entire flight.....I'm not a pilot, but I do drive a car and have been involved in accidents before and I'm all the more careful as a result of it. Seawind gets continually high regards on trip advisor. They took very good care of us.

You could rent a car in Skagway and drive up to Emerald Lake. It wouldn't be as pricey as the train excursion, and you would be able to explore on your own. Then you could whale watch in Juneau and do a float plane tour in Ketchikan.

THAT is exactly what we are doing!

I believe she is referring to a tragic accident in the past. Yes, I'm aware. I felt completely safe the entire flight.....I'm not a pilot, but I do drive a car and have been involved in accidents before and I'm all the more careful as a result of it. Seawind gets continually high regards on trip advisor. They took very good care of us.

Perceptions can be different- he was a long time, seasoned pilot when this occurred, he was determined to be a fault and caused the accident. Second chances may be all well and good, but his dead passengers don't have that option.