Trip Report: Millennium Southbound Seward to Vancover 5/29-6/5 2015

fishmom

Thank you [emoji4]. Our family of 7 is renting 2 cars. Staying overnight in Anchorage and plan on leaving around 9am. Hopefully it'll be a nice day. And it's insane...car rental has been sold out like a month out!

• 6 months later...
Thank you [emoji4]. Our family of 7 is renting 2 cars. Staying overnight in Anchorage and plan on leaving around 9am. Hopefully it'll be a nice day. And it's insane...car rental has been sold out like a month out!

were you happy you rented and drove to Seward? we are thing of doing the same thing and there are 7 of us.

Thanks,

• 4 months later...
Saturday: This was the day for scenic cruising of Hubbard Glacier. The morning started off sunny. We again woke very early, so headed down to the Café to enjoy an early hot chocolate and pastry. Later, we enjoyed gazing at the view during breakfast from our table in Blu. But soon a fog settled in. Visibility outside was extremely limited. The captain announced that due to regulations, the ship’s alert would be sounded every 2 minutes.

As the time approached for heading in to bay toward the glacier, the fog was still very heavy. We made our way outside to the upper deck for viewing, with low expectations. As we made our way toward the glacier, I could see some very large mountains veiled by the mist. They seemed painted against the horizon and something from another planet. And then suddenly it happened! The fog evaporated and there in front of us in clear view was Hubbard. There was a gasp among the crowd gathered on deck. As the naturalist on board that was narrating commented, coming through the fog like that just added to the mystery and grandeur of the glacier. The ship made its way closer and closer with the sight and sound become more clearer. They opened the helipad and so we scurried to find a place down there. It was announced that the pilot was taking us within the ½ mile mark. It already seemed we were very close. That tells you how large it was.

It was cold, and so I was glad I had worn my heavier jacket outside. Gloves added to my comfort. I had ear muffs, but they hampered my hearing, so I shoved them in my pocket. The time in the bay passed quickly. Soon it was time to head back out. They closed the helipad and we went inside and headed to our room to watch from the balcony. The fog soon reappeared. It just added to the mystery and romance of the day.

Thank you for the review! It's very helpful. We are doing this same itinerary end of July, with a 4-day land portion prior to the cruise.

I'm curious about where to best view Hubbard Glacier. We splurged for a balcony thinking we can enjoy the glacier from the comfort/privacy (well, as much privacy as you can on a ships' balcony) of our cabin. But you mentioned going to the upper deck and to the helipad. Are those better choices for viewing? Thank you so much!

Your welcome! We started at our balcony but I definitely recommend heading to the helipad or upper decks when the ship gets close enough. You get a great 180/360 perspective. It is chilly but you don't have to stay the whole time.

Your welcome! We started at our balcony but I definitely recommend heading to the helipad or upper decks when the ship gets close enough. You get a great 180/360 perspective. It is chilly but you don't have to stay the whole time.

Thank you! That sounds great, getting a 180/360 perspective! We'll certainly do that.