Extra twin, Upper/Lower Porthole Carnival Breeze

cruise_z

Hello,

We are first time cruisers and are looking into cruising on the Breeze (one of the fewer Carnival ships without the crazy decor). We are interested in an Upper/Lower Porthole room for a multitude of reasons.

First, it is the same price as a standard interior room, but it has the added bonus of the porthole. Unfortunately it looks like they only come with an upper single bed, lower single bed and a couch configuration that converts into a single bed (on the Breeze).

Second, I am really trying to keep the cost down as the flight alone is almost as much as the cruise. I cannot afford an ocean view room and do not want to pay more than the standard interior room price. I can't bear the idea of not having a window on my first cruise and the porthole is the most affordable way to get the economy price but still have a bit of a sea view.

I am wondering if Carnival offers the option to have an extra standard single bed brought into the the Upper/Lower category to convert the lower single into a king size bed. I know there is the couch; however, my understanding is it wasn't meant to be connected to a standard single and as such it isn't even the same height as the single bed and can't be used in this way.

Anyone have any experience with this? We really would love to go with the porthole room!

Any insight would be appreciated!:):):cool:

That's something I have never heard anyone ask about, but it doesn't sound like something Carnival would do. It doesn't hurt to ask though, once you get onboard. I don't know whether there wold be room in the cabin to basically make the twin into a king. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your first cruise! It's addictive, believe me. And you picked a great ship for your first cruise.

NWCruiselover,

Thanks for your reply and for the well-wishes! I have always wanted to go on a cruise and am borderline obsessed with it these days. I'm pretty sure I spend my days after work browsing these forums and watching videos on cruise ships.

I e-mailed a Carnival support rep and will update this post when I get their reply.

Thanks!

Usually porthole cabins are odd shaped because of the bow.

Does the Breeze even have rollaways available?

Ships built after 2000 can't add extra berths (not OP's situation) so would they even be available?

If you want to go cheap with a window see if a guarantee rate is available. Carnival will choose your cabin for you.

SAdieN,

Thanks for your reply. I will check out the guarantee cabin option. I am fairly certain though it won't be as cheap as the porthole or interior option. I am also pretty sure that they won't be able to accommodate my request for an extra bed. May have to just break down and fork out the extra money. :( I just really wanted this to be economical. It is already starting to be more and more expensive when I factor in the taxis/transportation I will have to use, the lodging before and after, the expensive flight, the food before/after cruise, the excursions, etc.

If budget is tight, stretch your dollars and book an interior. It's all psychological. After the initial 5 minutes, you will start to realize how nice an interior room can look and feel.

Hello,

We are first time cruisers and are looking into cruising on the Breeze (one of the fewer Carnival ships without the crazy decor). We are interested in an Upper/Lower Porthole room for a multitude of reasons.

First, it is the same price as a standard interior room, but it has the added bonus of the porthole. Unfortunately it looks like they only come with an upper single bed, lower single bed and a couch configuration that converts into a single bed (on the Breeze).

Second, I am really trying to keep the cost down as the flight alone is almost as much as the cruise. I cannot afford an ocean view room and do not want to pay more than the standard interior room price. I can't bear the idea of not having a window on my first cruise and the porthole is the most affordable way to get the economy price but still have a bit of a sea view.

I am wondering if Carnival offers the option to have an extra standard single bed brought into the the Upper/Lower category to convert the lower single into a king size bed. I know there is the couch; however, my understanding is it wasn't meant to be connected to a standard single and as such it isn't even the same height as the single bed and can't be used in this way.

Anyone have any experience with this? We really would love to go with the porthole room!

Any insight would be appreciated!:):):cool:

We have a 1A port hole cabin booked for the splendor in 21 days. The price was much lower then an inside. It has a twin and sofa bed. The room is a bit different then the usual cabins since its forward and has the curve. We may hear the waves hit the front a bit but im bringing ear plugs!

I dont think you can get a 3rd bed in the room. Just might be 2 max but I would call CCL for sure

Edited by limoguy1

I think that's also part of the charm of them having the porthole windows and the odd configurations. That and I wanted to take advantage of the price, but still accommodate two people on a king size bed. If not I am weighing the options between just going with an interior to save the money or just getting an ocean view. I didn't see an option for a guarantee cabin with this booking. I guess when it comes down to it, an ocean view isn't really THAT much more. I don't anticipate spending too much time in the room, but for when I am in the room, it would be nice. Anyway, hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Splendor!

I think that's also part of the charm of them having the porthole windows and the odd configurations. That and I wanted to take advantage of the price, but still accommodate two people on a king size bed. If not I am weighing the options between just going with an interior to save the money or just getting an ocean view. I didn't see an option for a guarantee cabin with this booking. I guess when it comes down to it, an ocean view isn't really THAT much more. I don't anticipate spending too much time in the room, but for when I am in the room, it would be nice. Anyway, hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Splendor!

For your first cruise you may enjoy the natural light.

I would and have stayed in an inside cabin. Its fine since we spend very little time in the room and like it dark to sleep anyway.

The Port hole was a bargain so i jumped on it.

Which ever you pick I hope you enjoy the cruise... Good luck :)

Having a window is not that big of a deal. Besides having the light coming in I bet you will not look out that window 10 times. For one thing, you pretty much have to stand there to see out esp a porthole.

Get the interior and If you want to see what is outside turn on the cam channel on tv or go up to lido, grab a nice seat at a window and look out in comfort.

Have you checked to see if there are any standard porthole cabin available (Category PT)? These would be cabins 1214, 1216, 1217 & 1219 on Deck 1 and 2220 & 2221 on Deck 2. They all have twin beds that convert to a king. The PT cabins on Deck 1 accommodate up to 3 passengers, so they may not be available when booking for 2. On a couple of cruises that I checked, the PT category was only $20 pp more than a 1A.

While I am still a relatively new cruiser, I might be able to add some info for you. We have cruised three times, once interior, once porthole, once ocean view. Our next cruise is for our 20th anniversary, and I booked our first balcony for it. Our first cruise was an interior. Honestly, I would take it over the ocean view any day. The window made it hot in the cabin while the interior was not claustrophobic at all like I had feared. We slept so well on that trip! We did a porthole on Fascination, just me and Mom, and I loved crawling up into the "window" area and reading while watching the waves. Are all the portholes upper/lower? I know ours was not, but it was a different class of ship.

Whatever you choose, have a great time! You will be addicted!

Have you checked to see if there are any standard porthole cabin available (Category PT)? These would be cabins 1214, 1216, 1217 & 1219 on Deck 1 and 2220 & 2221 on Deck 2. They all have twin beds that convert to a king. The PT cabins on Deck 1 accommodate up to 3 passengers, so they may not be available when booking for 2. On a couple of cruises that I checked, the PT category was only $20 pp more than a 1A.

Yes, on these regular porthole cabins, (not Upper/lowers) there are two regular beds that can be set together (plus a couch - which may or many not be able to be a bed depending on if the cabin sleeps 2 or 3).

carnivalcruise180.jpg

carnivalcruise150.jpg