recife to olinda, brazil

cbb

Ok, I've researched the following question in every source I can find and the answer I'm seeking is not specific enough: (or is dated)

we want to diy from the Insignia port in Recife to Olinda and will probably go by taxi. Every source I've used has referred to "grab a cab in the hotel section so you don't have to pay the 'fixed price' scam that is pulled at the port."

other sources seem to indicate that there aren't that many taxis at the port anyway or if they are, you are at the mercy of a "taxi marshal"

Question: on what street can we grab a cab (and i know the radio-called cabs are more expensive than regular cabs such as ligue-taxi or tele-taxi) and get to olinda? One source said "your hotel will hail one for you" so i did a screen grab of the good hotels addresses to see if that would help us!

I've even found where to get a cab back from Olinda, but to Olinda....i can't find specific info.

I don't think we want to do the bus since i've been reading accounts that the timetable is iffy and we're there from 8-5.

as a back-up we are on a ship's excursions for recife/olinda.

I know this is a picky question...so thanks! (ports of calls didn't help)

Edited by cbb

We've done private tours 2 times using our roll call to organize. Cost has been roughly (US) $25.00 per person. The guide is of limited use, and I cannot make a recommendation as we only joined the group.

Just pay the little extra at the port if you really just want the taxi. IMO.

We were in Recife in March on Regatta and had booked a half day tour of Recife through Rent a Local including Olinda. While we were waiting for our guide and his car there seemed to be lots of drivers milling around looking for a fare. We were offered around US$100 for half a day for 4 of us including Olinda but some didn't speak much English.Think you had to go out of the terminal building for a taxi but there seemed to be quite a few there. From memory the 'old town' was a longish walk from the ship but doable. The Government Artisan Centre close to the ship was well worth a visit.

thanks y'all!

A recent review by a Princess passenger (i think it was princess) said that they had difficulty finding a taxi at the port so I was looking for the area of Recife where they were supposed to be plentiful.

We looked at where the better hotels were and they are well south of the port and on the beach....the exact opposite direction of Olinda!

I'd be willing to pay the extra $ for the port cab if we knew there would be some there....and why wouldn't there be? If a ship is in port, you'd think there would be taxis waiting down the block!!

I read that it is a good idea to have the name of the location written down for the driver since most don't speak English. Also the name of the port for the return should be shown to the driver since some passengers end up at a beach or at a ferry due to the inability to understand each other.

thanks again! c

I think there are two ports in Recife where ships can dock. One is downtown (Old Town) the other is about an hour out. I have been to that one, never to the one downtown. Doesn't answer your question but make sure the driver knows which one you want to go to.