Review with pics - Radiance of the Seas Northbound Alaska May/June 2015

azmaui

I'm back :-)

Day 5

We were all looking forward to relaxing day at Icy Strait. It's a very cute little tender port with few restaurants, souvenir shops and activities. We really enjoyed walking along the beach.

18808988661_63e8377132_z.jpg

I wanted to do the zipline so I booked Misty Bay Lodge Bear Search for my parents. I choose to go with them so they would be in a smaller van and have more personal experience. They loved the tour and saw a bear :-)

I got on a bus and we drove for about 45 min through Hoonah and up the mountain. Views were spectacular.

18618606388_415e2ab891_z.jpg

Zipline was fun - but it was a quick one line ride. I am more use to a zipline tour experience, this was more of a thrill ride. Before I was even ready and was able to set my camera they send us off (6 people at a time). 90 seconds later we were at the bottom of the mountain. Quick way to spend $149 ;-)

We had some great crab legs at Crab Shack (expensive!!!) and took a boat back to the ship. Again we got lucky with great views!

18618610668_86039563c6_z.jpg

And back to my favorite pre show pre dinner activity - did I mention I loved martini of the day? ;-)

18808993451_c3a32535b3_n.jpg

What charter company did your dad use? I have a charter booked for next week. Now I'm a little worried!

I booked with Carla at Ketchikan Charter Boats, Inc. I think it's all about timing - we were there at the beginning of the fishing season. I would recommend that you do your own research to see if salmon is running, don't relay on what boat companies say. Good luck and I hope you will catch some great salmon to send home!

Day 6 aka BEST DAY EVER!

I have been in Juneau before (spent there a week or so few years ago and done lots of tours and activities) so I knew what to expect.

We got off the ship and caught a blue bus to go to Mendenhall Glacier. We had a really nice walk there and took some great pictures.

18801404662_4bf0cc3111_z.jpg

After that we got back to town for a quick lunch and to change on board (we were docked right downtown so it didn't take any time).

Then my parents went on a 5 glacier seaplane and Taku Lodge Feast. I've done it before and loved it, views are magnificent and it's very cool to hang out at the lodge overlooking the glacier. My parents agreed - my dad said it was the best trip of his life (and he traveled a lot!) :-)

I wanted to go ice climbing. I couldn't book through RC (they said it was full) so I contacted Northstar Trekking directly. After I didn't hear back from them via email I called them and was told that they can't take my reservation and that I should check back with the ship. Via email I got reply that they have room available and confirmed my reservation. Very confusing but I was happy I had it booked.

I chose level 3 - extended trek. Helicopter flight was great, pilot went a bit around to show us glaciers and scenery. Then we landed on top of Mendenhall Glacier. They had a camp set up there, got us geared up and we went off learning how to trek on the ice.

18185792543_ee47de2ba2_z.jpg

Then guides set up 3 climbs which was so much fun and easier than I expected. Don't be intimidated if you are not super athlete - there were people with us who never climbed or trekked before. Overall 3 hours there went by really fast! We didn't trek as far as I thought we would but it was amazing experience and I would go back any second!

18618727770_6d4c168e9b_z.jpg

18806457895_2a6d26ea82_z.jpg

After the adventure I had an hour for power shopping (I like Juneau the best for souvenirs shopping - you can find some nice quality stuff if you want something else then typical souvenirs).

I didn't get to stop by for a beer and dinner in town so I went straight to Rita's Crab Shack on the ship. It was very filling and delicious.

18183854554_9a1e0685e4_z.jpg

Next day - Skagway. I need to download the pictures but I will be back in the next couple of days to finish my review!