Solo cabin/single supplement

Neene0311

Yes, but you're forgetting about the studio lounge all-the-time access that comes with a studio cabin compare to just that solo meet only access there at 5-7pm with any other room category. That lounge comes included in the studio cabin fare, so along with not having to pay double-occupancy prices is why those rooms are popular

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reminder about the lounge. That would be a nice way to meet other solo/single folks. So other room type customers can go to the lounge from 5 to 7pm too for a meet and greet?

I did a scan on NCL's site for Getaway and found for the most part a solo rate for a studio is between 300 to 900 lower. However, at times during more off-peak travel times, there isn't that much of a difference.

Examples:

12 Sep - studio 1199.00 - inside 1318.00

19 Sep - studio 1229.00 - inside 1398.00

26 Sep - studio 1329.00 - inside 1398.00

The NCL site shows studios are from 99 to 131 sq ft.

insides are at 194 sq ft.

For all the extra space I would take the inside over the studio, given the above prices. If it were 100s of dollars difference, then I would do studio. That 26 Sep cruise is only 70.00 difference.

Happy sailing.

I have cruised in solo studio couple of times and liked it and I am a balcony bxxxh.....:)

I have cruised in the studio cabins when I like a solo getaway and it usually is in my budget. I have also cruised in an inside cabin.

I did like the studio lounge option; it was convenient and very fun. I recommend it; you can join in as much or as little as you want.

Met GREAT people who I am still friends with. :D

Give it a try, I hope you like it.

For my Breakaway sailing last October, I booked a Studio the prior February for some really good price of $545. A week before sailing Balconies were $780 so I paid them the extra $235. Had I waited a few more days, the Balcony actually dropped to $545 for a BX and $599 for my category.

Note, this really only seems to work offseason.

The prior year I started with a Studio for $999 and a week before upgraded for $99 more to a Balcony.

You really won't find any bargains though until last minute. I track them all of the time. My $545 was a fluke wave season price that only seemed up for a few hours.

Note, you can still get in the studio lounge for the gathering no matter what category you have.

Although studios are okay to stay in, I wouldn't discourage anyone from not taking an upgrade due to fear of not getting in the lounge.

How is the ventilation/air conditioning in the studios and insides? I like a balcony to get fresh air and wonder if I could handle the studio without feeling closed in? As a solo a balcony isn't looking too promising cost wise right now.

Kind of just venting. Started to look to book my next cruise. Looking to go alone. The no "single supplement" on a studio room on a particular cruise I pulled up is $1249. If I was to not be solo and was able to have someone else go with me and booked an inside room it would only cost me $729. It's costing me 520 more to be a solo for a smaller room. I understand you get the longer access but that is not worth 520 on a 7 night cruise. Any thoughts on this?

I had a similar problem when trying to book my 9 day Christmas cruise on Epic for 19th Dec. There was a fantastic offer of Drinks Package/Dining Package etc being included if one booked a Balcony Cabin or above but then the single supplements added almost £1000 to the cost. On the advice of my travel agent who pointed out that I would not be spending that amount on a Drinks Package etc if booked separately, I opted for a studio cabin and managed to get the flights from London Heathrow to Barcelona, the cruise and the Drinks Package all for just under £900 - to me that was a bargain.

I was on Epic last year and did then have a balcony (no studios were available and I got a bargain deal then taking up a last minute cancellation). Even though I was not in a studio I had my cruise card swiped to allow me access to the Studio Lounge. This is a great place to meet up with fellow solo travellers and the crew member assigned to the solos was great. We would meet up each evening and would go off in groups for dinner, the shows and on occasions would join up together for excursions/sightseeing ashore. The lounge is open 24/7 - could even get a quick continental breakfast there and there was always tea/coffee and snacks available all day. The bar there opened each evening. The studio cabins are quite adequate for one person - only downside might be that there is no fridge.

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

I have cruised in solo studio couple of times and liked it and I am a balcony bxxxh.....:)

I have cruised in the studio cabins when I like a solo getaway and it usually is in my budget. I have also cruised in an inside cabin.

I did like the studio lounge option; it was convenient and very fun. I recommend it; you can join in as much or as little as you want.

Met GREAT people who I am still friends with. :D

Give it a try, I hope you like it.

Blasphemy! I revoke your balcony snob card!

I found the studio a little too small and would have upgraded in a second to a balcony for a little more money. Since I was with friends already I never made use of the lounge except to get coffee in the morning. Our tours lasted all day so by the time we got back to the ship we missed the 5:30 meeting time.

You should definitely try a studio especially if the price is right. My cabin was 100 square feet but they do make good use of the space. The only thing I didn't like was there was no fridge but I just used a wine bucket with ice to keep my water cold.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reminder about the lounge. That would be a nice way to meet other solo/single folks. So other room type customers can go to the lounge from 5 to 7pm too for a meet and greet?

I did a scan on NCL's site for Getaway and found for the most part a solo rate for a studio is between 300 to 900 lower. However, at times during more off-peak travel times, there isn't that much of a difference.

Examples:

12 Sep - studio 1199.00 - inside 1318.00

19 Sep - studio 1229.00 - inside 1398.00

26 Sep - studio 1329.00 - inside 1398.00

The NCL site shows studios are from 99 to 131 sq ft.

insides are at 194 sq ft.

For all the extra space I would take the inside over the studio, given the above prices. If it were 100s of dollars difference, then I would do studio. That 26 Sep cruise is only 70.00 difference.

Happy sailing.

I don't quite get this. They are saying "No Single Supplement" for a Studio, it's a flat price. But then they are charging twice as much for the Studio cabin. I have looked at sailings and never been fortunate to find a Studio cabin that is less than going solo in an interior which has more room.

The September 12th example above: The Interior cabin is $1318 for a solo which comes out to $659 per person double. Shouldn't an interior "Studio" cabin that has no single supplement be in the range of $659? The Studio at $1199 is a single fare marked up 82%! To then add "no single supplement" is stupid. It's already worked into the price.

HLR

We are going on Breakaway 10/18. My brother was not sure what to book as a solo traveler. He booked a solo cabin in April for $989 plus tax. Two weeks ago they ran a promo for UBP for booking any room. Rate had increased to $1099 but he rebooked at higher rate to get the drink promo. I've been watching the fishing site to see if single supplements drop and it's just not happening that I can see. Maybe once the summer season ends rates will drop and he may have been able to get a better deal on an inside but we are past final payment and he is happy with the price. He's looking forward to the solo cabin experience.

I'm "complaining" because traveling solo would cost 520 more than traveling with someone. Whether I chose to book a studio or an inside is irrelevant to my complaint.

Have you checked the RCCL ships that have single cabins? Is the pricing any better there?

You just have to keep looking. I am booked on the Aug 29th Gem cruise in a mini - suite for $1299 before taxes and fees as a solo (no supplement). Total cost $1520.08 including UBP and $100 OBC. unfortunately I have developed health problems and can't go so I am checking family and friends to see if someone can take my place.

BTW I have spent over 100 days in Studios and love it. I have about 50 days as a solo in insides and another 100 days with at least one other person, all in the last 4.5 years.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

For sailings I've been interested in, the studios have consistently been worth looking at. I did my first solo cruise on the Jade, which doesn't have studios, so paid 200%. I'm pleased with the deal I got for my upcoming cruise--the studio was several hundred dollars lower than booking an inside for one person. I just checked the current rates, which are higher than what I paid, but there's still a good difference between the different cabin types. This is for a 10-day cruise:

Studio: $1,169 (I paid $889)

Inside: $1,538

Balcony: $2,738

I'm hoping closer to sailing to move up to a balcony. Even for the same price, I wouldn't change to an inside because I've been wanting to try the studio experience. But, I'd jump at a balcony for two or three hundred more.

The solo supplement is obviously built into the price, but it's still a better deal than pay 200%, and I'm glad we have at least that. I'm sure I'll enjoy the benefits of the lounge, but I doubt it'll be that big of a deal. Maybe I'll find out differently once I experience it. We shall see...

Aug 29th on the Gem there is no extra price for Singles. There is also a date in late Oct for a 10 day cruise. Call your NCL person and ask them If you want to Cruise 'in the' Plum you could find more solo dates.

Last year they had promos around a week or two before such as OBC's and they were only for new reservations, so I am going to wait for last minute.

If I don't need airfare, I will never book far in advance again, I would just reserve the time off and roll the dice prices drop- I typicallydecide to go in the fall

Kind of just venting. Started to look to book my next cruise. Looking to go alone. The no "single supplement" on a studio room on a particular cruise I pulled up is $1249. If I was to not be solo and was able to have someone else go with me and booked an inside room it would only cost me $729. It's costing me 520 more to be a solo for a smaller room. I understand you get the longer access but that is not worth 520 on a 7 night cruise. Any thoughts on this?

I understand how you feel, I usually Cruise solo. The prices are definitely crazy for singles

Last year they had promos around a week or two before such as OBC's and they were only for new reservations, so I am going to wait for last minute.

If I don't need airfare, I will never book far in advance again, I would just reserve the time off and roll the dice prices drop- I typicallydecide to go in the fall

I was lucky and snagged one last November on Getaway. The balcony was $499 with no supplement and some obc. Insides were $399!!! I've been watching, but prices seem to be higher in general. Wonder if all those so called free packages have driven prices up.

.......I was on Epic last year and did then have a balcony (no studios were available and I got a bargain deal then taking up a last minute cancellation). Even though I was not in a studio I had my cruise card swiped to allow me access to the Studio Lounge. This is a great place to meet up with fellow solo travellers and the crew member assigned to the solos was great. We would meet up each evening and would go off in groups for dinner, the shows and on occasions would join up together for excursions/sightseeing ashore......

Good Luck with your plans

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

Suzanne, a question about your experience. I am booked as a solo on Epic for Feb 2016. Am in an aft Haven penthouse (I persuaded myself the deal was too good as booked with a U.S. TA for £1000 less than UK price!) but would like to meet others for excursions etc. Do you think it would be worth asking for access to the Studio Lounge? Was it easy?

Aug 29th on the Gem there is no extra price for Singles. There is also a date in late Oct for a 10 day cruise. Call your NCL person and ask them If you want to Cruise 'in the' Plum you could find more solo dates.

What does that mean? If you want to cruise "In The Plum"?

(no...I could not find it on "google")

HLR

Suzanne, a question about your experience. I am booked as a solo on Epic for Feb 2016. Am in an aft Haven penthouse (I persuaded myself the deal was too good as booked with a U.S. TA for £1000 less than UK price!) but would like to meet others for excursions etc. Do you think it would be worth asking for access to the Studio Lounge? Was it easy?

As a solo traveller you can have access to the Studio Lounge 24/7. You just need to make sure that Guest Services swipe your card to indicate you are a solo but need access to the Studio Lounge. Personally I would certainly recommend going along to the lounge to meet others - the crew member assigned to the solo travellers was excellent and she was able to get table bookings for small or large groups and was also able to arrange for people to link up for the shows and suggested shore excursions - in fact she gave us more information than the shore excursions desk!!

Have you thought about joining a roll call for your sailing - you may find there are other solos there and I am sure you would find people who are arranging shore excursions which you could join.

You may like to consider the Posh Club which is an area on Deck 18 for adults only - you may get access to this as you are in the Haven area but normally this costs around $59 for the week - I found it the best money spent as it was a pleasant area away from the crowds (especially on sea days!). Guest Services will swipe your card for access to this too.

You seem to have got a great deal. I am on Epic again on the Christmas cruise on 19th December and will be having a studio. Did think about a balcony to take advantage of the drinks package offer but in the end decided that the single supplements wiped that idea out of the window. Booked the studio and paid for the drinks package in advance and in the end paid just over £985 in total. Will be meeting up with other solos on the roll call and someone I met on the Epic last June. My son and his family have also decided to fly to Barcelona from Dubai (where they are based) and will be joining me on the cruise so I am really excited about this Christmas trip as I get to see my twin grandsons too.

Hope your plans go well.

Regards

Suzanne

What does that mean? If you want to cruise "In The Plum"?

(no...I could not find it on "google")

HLR

Really? Because I found the other 3 meanings - two of which of will get me banned or a warning if I write it out.....(Thank you Merriam Webster and Wikitionary)

Basically, he's saying a plum = desirable, in the sentence.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell