Viking documents , How far out ??

missbsmom

Hi,

We are taking 2 "almost " back to back Viking cruises and was wondering from anyone who has cruised lately with Viking how far out they received their docs. Our first cruise ( Paris Normandy) leaves Aug 17 but we leave from home about 5 days before. When that cruise ends we have 4 days on our own and them start our Cities of Lights tour/cruise. I have read some post where people haven't received their docs until approx. 10 days from their sailing date... This concerns me, especially for my 2nd cruise . I really don't want my docs. sitting at the post office . I booked these cruises through one of the big box warehouse "C" travel depts. When I mentioned my concerned and ask if they would cross reference them and bring this issue to Viking's attention they didn't seem that concerned. They said Viking sends out docs approx. 45-60 out. What have your recent experiences been with Viking and their document delivery. I haven't contacted Viking directly yet, mainly because I have read post that say since it's book through a TA, Viking will instruct you to contact them.

Thanks rpnickel, I appreciate the info. I have never booked viking through the "c" big box warehouse store's travel dept. so I'm not sure if they get their docs from viking and then mail them out like a normal TA. I did book Uniworld a few years ago through them and think they were mailed directly to me by uniworld, but really can't remember. Based on your info it's going to be close for my second cruise . Guess early next month I will have to make some calls. Someone suggested that I ask them to have our docs either sent to our ship I paris while we on on the first cruise or at the our paris hotel (the hotel nights at the start of the cities of light cruise are included ) for us to pick up if they can't assure us we will have them before we depart for our first cruise. Not sure if they can do that. Has anyone ever done this ?

Unless you need the stickers for transfers, I don't see the need to have the documents in hand for the cruise. We didn't show ours once during our trip. You can always print your itinerary from their website for that information just in case you don't get the docs before you leave. You just have to do it before they mail them out. I noticed I couldn't access our trip online after they'd mailed our docs.

• 1 month later...

Our cruise documents arrived by Fed Ex today for our August 29 Viking Rhine Getaway cruise. Package includes red leather luggage tags for each of us, paper luggage tags, small toiletry size amenities bag, Viking stickers (to wear for identification if getting transfers), booklets for each of us with our passenger information and description of the itinerary and details about the ship and process, and nice glossy colour booklet "The Rhine & It's Tributaries" with info including history and local background about each location along the Rhine. Nice package to get us in the spirit for the upcoming trip. The info booklets include lots of general tips including info on occasional potential for water level changes, docking (including rafting alongside other boats), meal times, included and optional excursions etc. Between following cruise critic forums and reading the documents sent, passengers certainly shouldn't be ill prepared.

Edited by banditoo

It depends on how the TA has scheduled your docs to go out. Not sure how "C" works, but if they are having them direct ship via FedEx, then it could be as early as 5 weeks out. OTOH, if they go to a document department, it might be like 3 weeks prior.

Simply call "C" and ask them how the docs are coming. They should be able to look up your invoice and see when they were received in their office, by whom and sent out on what date IF they get them delivered to them. If there isn't anything, you can ask them to find out how they were shipped by Viking. A simple phone call by them to Viking will get you your answer.

Good luck! Sounds like a great, long vacation! :)