challenging food issues question

bookworm61

We are going on the Jade to the Greek Isles and I have some food issues. I can't have dairy (lactose intolerant) and don't have sugar or most carbs (controlling my high blood sugar). At home, I use uncommon foods such as unsweetened soy milk for my coffee and my oatmeal, but don't expect to find this on a cruise. Most soy milks are very sugary so I can't use just any kind.

It's not really practical for me to bring much of my own foodstuffs to Venice, as I would on a cruise from the states. Any thoughts from those who have had similar food challenges?

Also, would I be able to bring a few of my own items (such as sugar free chocolate bars or sugar free ketchup in unopened packages)into Italy and then onto the cruise? Those I could probably bring without difficulty so long as it is not violating any rules about bringing food into another country.

Thanks for all suggestions.

We are going on the Jade to the Greek Isles and I have some food issues. I can't have dairy (lactose intolerant) and don't have sugar or most carbs (controlling my high blood sugar). At home, I use uncommon foods such as unsweetened soy milk for my coffee and my oatmeal, but don't expect to find this on a cruise. Most soy milks are very sugary so I can't use just any kind.

It's not really practical for me to bring much of my own foodstuffs to Venice, as I would on a cruise from the states. Any thoughts from those who have had similar food challenges?

Also, would I be able to bring a few of my own items (such as sugar free chocolate bars or sugar free ketchup in unopened packages)into Italy and then onto the cruise? Those I could probably bring without difficulty so long as it is not violating any rules about bringing food into another country.

You need to contact NCL's Special Needs Department to discuss your dietary needs.

Then, once on-board, you will meet with someone to discuss some special menus.

There is always lactose free milk available onboard by asking, not sure about unsweetened soy milk though. Just contact Special Needs desk and tell them your limitations so they can advice you on how to proceed.

Definitely shouldn't be a problem to bring the items you mentioned to Italy and I would think on the cruise as well. I'm from the States but live in Italy and I always bring food to Italy. Just be careful about the ketchup, wouldn't want it breaking open during the flight and covering your things in red!

NCL is very good about providing food for special diets and the alctose lactose intolerrent will be no problem, but the rest, you really need to talk to NCL about provisions. I don't think any of us can even begin to give you answers.

Thanks for all your replies! I appreciate your suggestions.

I don't use the lactose free anymore...I went completely off dairy about 8 years ago and my health changed dramatically for the better after a lifetime of digestive issues. Perhaps I will be able to buy some unsweetened soy or almond milk in a shelf stable package in Venice before we board. Otherwise, it's just black coffee for a a week.... a fair trade for seeing Venice and the Greek Isles!

Definitely shouldn't be a problem to bring the items you mentioned to Italy and I would think on the cruise as well. I'm from the States but live in Italy and I always bring food to Italy. Just be careful about the ketchup, wouldn't want it breaking open during the flight and covering your things in red!

Very good advice, thank you! It a small unopened bottle that I will double wrap in ziplocs and then I will not bring it home. (Alternatively, I can pack only red clothes :) )

We cruised last year with someone who was vegan, and I know she made arrangements with special needs before she went, and I am absolutely positive she had a pitcher of some type of milk-like substance that she had in her suite frig to make lattes. So NCL must have had almond or soy milk available. She had her latte every morning and every night....and I am absolutely sure she didnt touch anything that was dairy. Call the special needs desk.

Terry

Thanks for all your replies! I appreciate your suggestions.

I don't use the lactose free anymore...I went completely off dairy about 8 years ago and my health changed dramatically for the better after a lifetime of digestive issues. Perhaps I will be able to buy some unsweetened soy or almond milk in a shelf stable package in Venice before we board. Otherwise, it's just black coffee for a a week.... a fair trade for seeing Venice and the Greek Isles!

You must be sensitive to casein. I am lactose intolerant and have had no difficulty finding soy milk in Europe. Don't pack it from the states. Buy it in Italy if you are told its not available on the ship.

I have traveled with powdered rice milk and a small mixing container about a cup volume or less. The brand is "Better than milk" and is very easy to mix. The nutritional info label says that 2 tbls of mix makes 8 oz of milk substitute; it has 4g sugars. That may be a bit high for you but I think the powdered soy is lower but I don't have it on hand to give you the data. I'd check at your health food store or an amazon dot com. There may be a better alternative for you.

You might consider these food issues as challenging, but the cruise won't. They have people with these exact same concerns on everysingle sailing of every single ship. Call the desk suggested above, and they will help.

Thanks, I had already emailed the special needs desk and didn't get a great reply. It was pretty much, "we have sugar free options on board" more than any details about what they are. They didn't respond to my question about unsweetened soy milk, so I think I will try the excellent powdered soy milk suggestion from a kind poster. NCL said I could bring on non perishable packaged food that is sealed.