Fosters/Salt & Pepper/Paul David

picktowncruzr

We'll be in Roatan on Monday, 9/26. Had initial contact with Paul David through email on 9/9 about possibly reserving space at Fosters through Salt & Pepper- - he said we'd just meet Gustavo at the pier and asked that we confirm back and we were all set. Sent him back another email with a few more questions and never heard anything back. Sent a follow-up email on 9/17 and still nothing. I realize the island mentality is 'no worries' (which I love by the way), but am worried we won't have an excursion on Monday. Anyone have interactions like this before who can reassure me?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thought we were all set but was disappointed in Salt & Pepper. We were not met at the dock by Gustavo as promised, but the 'dispatcher' knew we were looking for him and made a call. We were told to go with one of the drivers who normally takes people to fosters for Paul David - - now, this may seem simple, but when visiting Central America for the first time, this can be intimidating and quite unnerving. When you're looking for a sign, you want to see that sign.

We arrive at Fosters to find that no one was expecting us and that they had no idea that Paul David was operating at Fosters this year - - they did last year, but there was no contract. HOWEVER, she was very nice and assured us she would take care of us and honor the package. It was early when we got there (which was supposed to be a perk so we'd have more time on the island), so nothing was ready, no chairs, etc. They worked quickly to wash off six chairs for our group. Despite their efforts, we still felt pretty out of place and 'unexpected'.

By about 10:00, things started to get better. The lunch at Fosters was excellent. Best lobster I've ever eaten (and I've eaten plenty). The Bahia beer rocks - - maybe this is why things got better! :)

DO WEAR BUG SPRAY as I got several bites before I remembered to apply. Do this before you even leave the pier.

This excursion was not a rock and roll good time as publicized - - as a matter of fact, there was NO music at all. The beach was nicer at Tabyana which is just down the beach had music so we walked down there for a bit. Fosters did try hard to make our day what we had expected, but the tour booked through Salt & Pepper was extremely disappointing.

So basically you should have just taken a cab to Foster's on your own? How much was the cab from the dock to Foster's. I e-mail Paul David back a while ago and it's $30 per person for use of the facility - chairs, etc., as well as a lobster lunch and transportation. Is that what you did?

Mary

Either that (which would be scary and the fare unknown), rented a scooter and drove on our own or booked it directly through Fosters. They were only charging people $1 for a chair and the lobster was $16pp. I think the $30 package was a great value, and Fosters stood behind it even though Salt & Pepper was nowhere to be found.

Archived