Preschoolers in Alaska

gluecksbaer

I can see why you'd think that' date=' but I have always said that I would rather fly across the country with my twins than go to the grocery store (I don't see a lot of parents with two small kids at the grocery store - I'm guessing most parents don't think it's easy or fun and arrange to go by themselves whenever possible). I know exactly where this mom is coming from and a cruise was the best holiday to just enjoy my kids.

T

o the OP -

In Juneau the trail to the glacier is perfect for kids and not easy for them to wander off - really a perfect way for them to run off some energy, play on the rocks, throw stones in the water, etc. And the fee for the r/t tram isn't bad.

In Ketchikan we rented a car - very easy to do and reasonable. I thought about the public bus, but read some reviews that the waits can be long if there's more than one ship in town and I'll do anything to avoid a wait with kids. The totem pole park is another great place where kids can run, explore, play, climb and throw stones in the water (something our group of kids loved). There's also a park in Ketchikan just off the main road that has a playground, circular trail through the forest and, yes, a lake to throw stones at.

Skagway we rented a car and drove to the suspension bridge, which our 8 year olds loved, but not so much for the smaller one. The walk into the cute town and playground could be a good economical choice here.

Alaska is a fantastic choice for kids since the port days can involve lots of exploring, playing, etc. And on the ship there's someone else doing all your cooking, cleaning and meal prep! Have a great time!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Your kids must be much better travelers than mine. I'd rather take them to the grocery store than sit next to them strapped in for hours. That's why I like the train (and think I will like a ship)--freedom to move!

Thanks for all the great budget-friendly suggestions!

Your kids must be much better travelers than mine. I'd rather take them to the grocery store than sit next to them strapped in for hours. That's why I like the train (and think I will like a ship)--freedom to move!

Thanks for all the great budget-friendly suggestions!

Kerry's girls having been traveling for quite some time. They are very lucky kids indeed. Mom is an experience momma with kids at traveling and gives some very good insights on how to do it. If, as a single mom, she can do these cruises I can sure take DH and 4 grandchildren and that is my dream. The biggest problem for me, 2 live in LA and 2 live in Seattle and getting them together costs money at this age. Some one has to fly from A to B then back to A and then repeat. I'm hoping to do an Alaska with just them and us. Parents can stay hone if they want. :D

I just wish she would post a more up to date picture so we can check out the little ones.

Kerry's girls having been traveling for quite some time. They are very lucky kids indeed.

And she's lucky if they travel so well on a plane. My kids hate being strapped in and always have.

You know that newborn phase when parents put the fussy baby in the car and drive around so he/she will stop crying and go to sleep?

I don't.

So my comment about her kids being better travelers was a response to her saying she would rather fly across the country with them than go to the grocery store. I would rather spend all day in the grocery store with mine than fly across the country with them. While I'm researching the cruise to plan a good trip. What I'm worried about is the few hours on the plane.

• 2 weeks later...
In Skagway we did a private tour with Trail of 98 and went to Emerald Lake. We stopped by the mush camp and they did let our 2 year old get onto the sled for a 20 min ride. She had great fun, and also enjoyed patting the puppies.

I would second this. We did this just ~10 days ago with our 5YO twins. I would especially go for the optional puppy farm. It's cheap and our son said "this place is worth the rest of the drive". I think we were about 4 hours in when we got there. We did not do the sled itself, which I think was another ~$30 per person.

This is a long tour at ~7 hours, at least the version we took. A good portion of it is much more adult-certric (ie. scenery), so if your child gets bored easily or doesn't do well on road trips, maybe not for you. We brought the kids' cameras and their leap pads, but the leap pads never left my backpack. They had a great time taking pics at the various stops. All totaled, its an excursion that the kids and the adults can enjoy, which is pretty rare. Michele was also fantastic with the kids.

It's a great value in Alaskan terms also, though we shared with another group of 6 so the $ per person would be quite a bit higher if you have a smaller group.

You know that newborn phase when parents put the fussy baby in the car and drive around so he/she will stop crying and go to sleep?

I don't.

:D We actually didn't have that phase either. My son would usually go to sleep with my singing, though I suspect that was more in self defense rather than my dulcet tones. :o

Our kids are also much better travelers than they are in the grocery store. I would assume it's the adventure aspect, as opposed to the shear boredom and wide available of interesting items in the grocery store.

Just got back and wanted to add a few bits.

Skagway - we just walked around the little town and happened to find a nice park my almost 3 year old loved. (Off the right of the "main" street, look for the restroom.)

Ketchikan - Duck tour was a hit for the little one per grandma (DH and I each took our older kids on different excursions...9 year old went fishing, 10 year old zip lining. Each liked their excursions.)

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of great, cheap things to do with little ones in Alaska. In Juneau, there is an awesome museum that is very family friendly. It is a short walk from the dock -- at least where our ships have docked. Ben Franklin is a great place to get cheap cool Alaskan souvenirs in Juneau. Pretty much the whole town of Skagway is a National Park. There is a free guided tour of the town. You just need to check in with the park rangers and get a free ticket. The park rangers are great with children. Ketchikan is a great place to just walk around. If your timing is good, the salmon might be running. There is an incline/ funicular that takes people up to the resort for a dollar or two. It might be a bit steep but it is not at all like the Tramway in Juneau. There is a fantastic display of Native Alaskan art at the resort and it's free to look at and they have great restrooms. There is also an amazing taxidermy store in Ketchikan. The owner gave my then almost 4 year-old a free rabbit's foot. We went on an Alaskan cruise (NCL) 2 years ago with a 2 and almost four year old and had such a good time, we're going again this year. You might want to check on the Alaska board for more into. Have a wonderful trip!