** Alaska - Radiance of the Seas - dept 29th May 2015 - with two children **

OK, I'm really done now, except for the Cruises Compasses and details of the kid's club - I will scan them and get them uploaded in a few days.

Any questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do my best to help.

And a BIG thank you for all the lovely comments people have left.

Lou :)

Fantastic review and pictures! Thank you so much for taking the time to share!

I'm going on the same itinerary on Celebrity's Millennium next month and your review has me very excited. The clothing choices for each day were also very helpful! :)

Thanks once again!!!

Just testing to see if I can upload photos ... this should be a photo of Explorer Glacier, viewed from the Portage Glacier Access Rd (near mile 79 of Seward Hwy)

Alaska%20638.jpg

This has to be one of the most beautiful pics I have seen. :). Really enjoying your review

Cindy

Sea day, non-Hubbard Glacier, the change of route due to storm (photo taken as we turn back toward Seward)

Alaska%20106.jpg

Sea day, non-Hubbard Glacier, the change of route due to storm

Alaska%20112.jpg

Empty Solarium pool (due to storm)

Alaska%20107.jpg

Shredded flag through the Solarium glass roof (due to storm)

Alaska%20108.jpg

Maintenance opportunity (due to drained pool due to storm)

Alaska%20109.jpg

Repainted pool!

Alaska%20113.jpg

WOW, the ship must have been rocking and rolling to drain the pool like that. Too bad about missing Hubbard, but safety above all.

Cindy

What would you like to know - my children really enjoyed it. Being an Alaskan cruise with mostly an older demographic, there were not a lot of children on board so the kid's club was not crowded.

When I get the Cruise Compasses uploaded (in a few days) it lists all the kids club session times. Basically is available the whole time you are in port, and 9am-12pm, 2pm-5pm and 7pm-10pm on sea days. They serve no food, and have a water fountain available.

Ask me anything!

I would love to see the kids club compasses! I am worried about the kids being bored. We have most recently only taken disney cruises and I am worried they are a bit spoiled with the disney activities. I was also worried about an older demographic and how my kids would enjoy that. Excursions....it seems like u did a number of long bus rides, another concern of mine. Since one of mine will only be four, I am looking for suggestions for excursions for the family? This post rocks! Thanks for taking the time to share!

WOW, the ship must have been rocking and rolling to drain the pool like that. Too bad about missing Hubbard, but safety above all.

Cindy

It is not all that unusual when the waves start getting bigger. The water in the pools start rolling 'breakers' from end to end. It can be dangerous being in the pool under those conditions. Also, the pool 'waves' overflow the end of the pool and soak everything....

OK, I have scanned in the Cruise Compasses and the Kids Club Compasses and the MDR Kids Menu, but they are .jpg and clueless me is struggling to work out how to link them to this post. So if this link works, can someone please post a reply and let me know, before I do them all wrong?

Many thanks!

MDR kids menu.pdf

Edited by ~*Lou*~

I would love to see the kids club compasses! I am worried about the kids being bored. We have most recently only taken disney cruises and I am worried they are a bit spoiled with the disney activities. I was also worried about an older demographic and how my kids would enjoy that. Excursions....it seems like u did a number of long bus rides, another concern of mine. Since one of mine will only be four, I am looking for suggestions for excursions for the family? This post rocks! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Let me know if you can see the MDR kids menu I have just posted and if that works, I will post all the kids club compasses. My children (5 and nearly 8) enjoyed it a lot.

I was very concerned about the 2 long days in the car (to and from Denali) and the long day on the shuttle bus in Denali but it worked better than I expected. Lots of snacks, limited sessions on ipad (too long staring at the screen and not out the window and they started to feel ill), and playing audio books on ipod and my iphone (I downloaded some childrens audio books from itunes) worked well for my family.

Thrilled you enjoyed the review, I did try to included every detail I thought useful about travelling with children in Alaska.

This has to be one of the most beautiful pics I have seen. :). Really enjoying your review

Cindy

Many thanks Cindy, it was such a fluke, I only have a very basic model point and shoot camera, and no actual photographic skills, it was just somewhere we pulled over to have quick look and the water was soooo smooth and still, and voila, fabulous shot. It's now my computer desktop!

OK, I have scanned in the Cruise Compasses and the Kids Club Compasses and the MDR Kids Menu, but they are .jpg and clueless me is struggling to work out how to link them to this post. So if this link works, can someone please post a reply and let me know, before I do them all wrong?

Many thanks!

Yes, I was able to download and see a 1-page, black & white "Kid's Menu"

Plans to do this or a similar cruise next summer, appreciate your time and effort.

OK, I will do the Cruise Compasses early next week.

My father, who became ill at the start of the cruise and worsened through the cruise, was eventually transferred back to Australia by Air Ambulance and is now being treated for lymphoma (yes, cancer) here in Melbourne. So while the 4 of us did manage to do everything on our planned itinerary, through the whole trip there was constant worry and concern for Dad, and it certainly wasn't the fabulous trip my parents or my brother planned. The 7 of us managed to have exactly one meal together. Dad only left his cabin to travel (repeatedly) down to the medical facilities on deck 2 (they are amazing facilities I promise) and on one afternoon I managed to walk him to the helipad and back to his cabin.

Word of advice for everyone else - TRAVEL INSURANCE - no matter what the premium your insurance company wants you to pay, if you are over 70 yrs, or have a dodgy health history like me, pay the premium. If you can't afford the premium I promise you can't afford the trip. Sorry to end on a low note.

Lou xx

Thank you for your great review and great pictures! I know how much time it takes to write one and download photos. It makes me anticipate our trip (26 more days) even more. What a shame that your Dad's health made for worry on the trip.