Nieuw Amsterdam Ocean View Cabin Help

jormot

We are booking the NA for Alaska next spring. It will be our first time booking an ocean view cabin (& actually only our second cruise). I could use some advice about where the best cabins may be located. I'm mostly worried about noise rather than being a bit far from things. Can anyone help please?

I would take a good look at the deck plans for a cabin on Main Deck. It's low, so the ride is smoother in rough seas. The view is straight out to the water.

The forward cabins closer to the Atrium should be quiet (I know the inside cabins there are). Further aft should definitely be quiet.

The outside cabins on Upper Promenade are obstructed by lifeboats.

I haven't been on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but I have been in Main Deck forward cabins on the Eurodam, which is a sister ship, specifically cabins 1001 & 1002.

It is possible to hear noises from the Main Show Lounge in the cabins, but it's muffled. Also, you can hear the elevator dings in those cabins. But the bigger noise in the forward cabins comes from bow wake/waves hitting the side of the ship, which can be very loud and thunderous at times and anchor/docking noises, which can be very early in the mornings.

I never really noticed the distance from those cabins to anything else, though sometimes it's easier to take the stairs from there than the elevator -- especially at tender ports.

I love the low-down, forward cabins, but I can see how others would find them inconvenient or noisy. The other caveat I have for the Main Deck cabins is that it is very easy for people on the pier t see in the windows if the ship is docked on that side, so I always suggest keeping at least the sheers drawn over night or during the day when docked.