reggae/zion bus tour/irie mon tour????

Tarheelbelle

I'm on the 10/30 sailing of the Dawn and planning on taking the Zion Bus Tour. Friends of mine did this tour last year and they loved it, however they are HUGE Bob Marley fans. Their tour was all day - they went through Nine Mile, stopped for lunch, and stayed at Bob's "compound" for some time. My friend had to fill out a special permission slip for her 17 year old daughter to accompany her because there are many offerings of marijuana (as it is part of the Rasta religion, and you will be on "Rasta" land - the only land in Jamaica where it is legal).

If you have any further questions about this particular tour, just post them and I'll direct her to the thread.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do and enjoy the Dawn - she's a great ship

PGH We have a roll call going for the 10/30/05 Dawn at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=4750761#post4750761

Some of our friends were looking into this tour..thanks for the info..but I'm guessing they will find something else.

I hope someone can give me more info on the Bob Marley tour. My dh & I are very interested, we will be in Ocho Rios this Nov. Is this a private tour?

I have not seen anything like this offerred as a Princess shore excursion. It sounds really good!

Tarheelbelle thank you for the link. This is more information then I have been able to find and I will certainly check it out. Thanks again! :)

You are welcome. Here is another link for a tour that my friend and I are considering---not really as heavily about Bob Marley, but also involves a different sort of tour for Jamaica. On NCL they are calling it the Irie Mon tour.

http://www.greatvac.com/Jamaica_yard.asp

BTW, there is a special on public TV this week about protest music in the 60s and 70s---the show is called Get Up, Stand Up---there will be interview and music clips with a lot of the musicians, including BOB MARLEY!!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Chukka Cove Zion Lion Marley tour last month. Let me tell you...it's a little scary at first. You are not going through the pretty tourist areas on the way to Nine Mile. You see the REAL Jamiaca. It was an awesome experience though.....make sure you book it. The mountain views are amazing. Not many people take the trip either....so it's very relaxed and not too crowded. They give you rum punch and Red Stripe and stop for a Jamaican patty along the way (and lunch at the end of the tour). Like I said....it's not your usual tour....but it was incredible if you really want to see Jamaica. Oh...and they will without question try and sell you marijuana once you get to Bob's house...so be prepared. Just politely say no if you don't want to buy it. The tour lasted approx. 5 hours, giving us about 2 hours to do shopping, Margaritaville, etc.

I hope this helps. I know I was looking for info before we went last month and found nothing. You know what.....out of an entire cruise ship of 3000+ people, there were only about 15 of us that went to Bob Marley's house. So.....instead of being herded off the ship with the masses to the falls.....try something different. You won't be disappointed.:)

Any other reviews, anyone??

My hubby and I REALLY want to do this...but we also REALLY want to go to DRF's as well. I don't think we'll have time for both will we? We'll be only be on the island from like 7a-3p. ????

Also.....whats this about Rasta land and smoking being legal. Someone told me that on this excursion you get to smoke. Is this true? I find it hard to believe.......:confused:

No, you won't be able to do both. The bus ride to Bob Marley's birthplace is over an hour and a half each way, plus time spent there. You would be hard pressed to do both. Sadly it's one of the downfalls of an island hopping cruise:( Although it gives you an excuse to book another cruise when you get back:rolleyes:

As far as the legal smoking goes....It is illegal, for American citizens anyway, to purchase or smoke marijuana no matter where they are. So don't be fooled by what they tell you. But in all reality....nobody is going to bother you about it. It's legal for the residents of Nine Mile to use it. So hey, if it's your thing....knock yourself out. Several people on our tour bought it. They even let you smoke it in the gift shop/ snack bar, etc.! Too funny. It's kinda the same with cuban cigars....you can't do it....but few people get caught. Enjoy your trip to Jamaica whatever you decide!

My hubby and I REALLY want to do this...but we also REALLY want to go to DRF's as well. I don't think we'll have time for both will we? We'll be only be on the island from like 7a-3p. ????

Also.....whats this about Rasta land and smoking being legal. Someone told me that on this excursion you get to smoke. Is this true? I find it hard to believe.......:confused:

Archived