WOW!!! What a difference! Trip Report - Oasis of the Seas 6/6

Great review. We've sailed on the Oasis twice. I'm excited that she'll be moving to Cape Canaveral.

We are also on the Disney Dream in January. Combining my love of Disney and cruising. Can't wait to see the difference in the cruise lines.

Here are some of my final thoughts regarding my experience on the Oasis of the Seas.

Floral Expressions – Before the sailing I searched on cruise critic for information on floral expressions. Some people said that they ordered items before but no one posted any pictures. I ended up ordering my mom some roses and they were waiting for her when our cabins were ready. The cost of this arrangement was $65. They were nice and the lasted the entire 7 days. In fact they were not anywhere near dead when the cruise was over. I’m not sure I would order them again but overall my experience with the product was positive. The first picture is day one and the last picture is day seven…you can see how good the flowers still look in the last picture.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Drink Package – We all had the premium package on this sailing. We had booked our trip with a BOGOHO promotion so we were able to add the beverage package at BOGOHO as well...so the total cost of the premium package for two people was $600. Last year when we sailed Allure of the Seas we just had the soda package. I’m not sure all four of us got our value out of the package but we might have. I felt like I was constantly having a drink. However, I never really felt drunk…I account this to the fact that the drinks were spaced out over a long period of time, and eating more food that I normally would. We met a few people that were sharing a drink package…I don’t feel like this is the right thing to do and I’m not promoting sharing. However, now after having the package I can see how sharing a package can easily be done.

So the real question is would I get the package again. I think I probably would…even though we might not have got our full value or broke even with the package it was nice to be able to order anything I wanted. I had lots of drinks that I did not like and just sent them back. So due to this carefree feeling and never having to worry about what something cost or liking the drink I think I would get the package again. If it was a very port intensive trip and I knew I would be off the ship a lot I might opt to not get the package. The days we were in port I did not drink nearly as many drinks.

Tipping at the Bar - During the course of the week my thoughts on tipping with the package changed. At first I didn’t tip anyone then around mid-week I started tipping on some drinks but not all of them. I normally only tipped a dollar…however, when a bartender saw you walk up to their bar after tipping them their eyes lit up and they were extra eager to help you. I never experience bad service though even when not tipping. Also some of the bartenders that I would have liked to have tipped didn’t provide a receipt to add a tip.

Bar Menus – Bar menus are basically nonexistent except for in a few places. I found that it was just easier to tell the bartender what I wanted as opposed to ordering a drink off of the menu. Also as I mentioned at the Champagne Bar I just told the bartender to make me whatever. I also had a list of the old drinks before the menu change and most everyone was able to make those drinks.

Drink of the Day - Some people mentioned that the drink of the day is a thing of the past with the new menu prices. I’m happy to say that a drink of the day was available every day.

Bed Placement – We had two cabins next to each other on this sailing. So naturally in one room the bed was by the balcony and in the other the bed was by the closet. I will say in my opinion I prefer the bed by the balcony better. I like walking into open space and not right into the bed. I also like being able to lay in bed and watch the ocean. The couch in the bed by the balcony room is also smaller than in the bed by the closet room. Whenever I walked into the room where the bed was by the closet it just seemed more crowded. If all four of us were to go on Oasis again we would probably not have rooms next to each other so we could both have rooms with beds by balconies. On another note we move the coffee table and use it as a bedside table and move one of the bedside tables next to the chair at the vanity so it is out of the way and we have more open space.

Thank you - Thanks again for following along with my review. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them…I would be more than willing to answer any question if I know the answer.

Edited by Klstaack

Great review. We've sailed on the Oasis twice. I'm excited that she'll be moving to Cape Canaveral.

We are also on the Disney Dream in January. Combining my love of Disney and cruising. Can't wait to see the difference in the cruise lines.

Happy you are enjoying the review. I see we are on the same Disney sailing in January. Are you doing the Castaway Cay Challenge along with Marathon weekend at WDW?

Happy you are enjoying the review. I see we are on the same Disney sailing in January. Are you doing the Castaway Cay Challenge along with Marathon weekend at WDW?

I booked the cruise before they added the Castaway Cay challenge to it. We are spending a few days at Disney before the cruise also. (Had Disney vacations points I needed to use). I have some friends running at Disney so I might go cheer them on. I can't imagine running now. Haven't decided if I'll do the challenge this cruise or the one after it, most I'll do is walk most of it. My daughter said she'd do one.

I booked the cruise before they added the Castaway Cay challenge to it. We are spending a few days at Disney before the cruise also. (Had Disney vacations points I needed to use). I have some friends running at Disney so I might go cheer them on. I can't imagine running now. Haven't decided if I'll do the challenge this cruise or the one after it, most I'll do is walk most of it. My daughter said she'd do one.

Last year we ran the full marathon and then got on the ship and did the challenge. This year we are not registered for any marathon weekend races so we are just going to be enjoying the cruise. We have some friends that will be on the sailing as well so it should be fun.

Thank you for the great review.

I knew about adding a tip to the bar receipt but can you also just slip the bartender a $1 in cash? Or do they not accept cash as tips?

Edited by alocsin

Thank you for the great review.

I knew about adding a tip to the bar receipt but can you also just slip the bartender a $1 in cash? Or do they not accept cash as tips?

They will gladly accept cash.

Edited by clarea

I don't drink much but my husband always gets the package. He always has to show his card. How in the world did people share the package? I can't imagine how they did. TIA ;)

Yes you have to show a card. It might not be your card though. Often times I just pulled a card out of the bag and grabbed my sisters or moms card and was able to get a drink with no issues.

I don't drink much but my husband always gets the package. He always has to show his card. How in the world did people share the package? I can't imagine how they did. TIA ;)

In addition to just using someone else's card, some people also go and get a drink from a bar and bring it back to the table for their partner-in-crime, then go back and get a drink for themselves.

I just went on Freedom with a group of friends, and sometimes one person would go up to get drinks for others in the group, with a handful of cards -- they don't look at or care who signs the slips. I only had the soda package (I rarely drink booze), and I signed for friends who had a booze package when I was picking up their drinks for them.

HI Apdmom sent me :)

I was wondering if the hibachi table prices on Izumi are the same for lunch and dinner?

Great review!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I think the prices were the same at lunch and dinner but I cannot be 100% sure. At dinner the price for a one meat meal was $25, and the two meat meal was $30.

In addition to just using someone else's card, some people also go and get a drink from a bar and bring it back to the table for their partner-in-crime, then go back and get a drink for themselves.

I just went on Freedom with a group of friends, and sometimes one person would go up to get drinks for others in the group, with a handful of cards -- they don't look at or care who signs the slips. I only had the soda package (I rarely drink booze), and I signed for friends who had a booze package when I was picking up their drinks for them.

Exactly...and a lot of the workers don't care. At dinner we would pay together and they would just put all of the drinks on one card.

I think/thought that there was a picture of you that showed up on the screen when they took your card to get the drink and that's how they kept track. If it wasn't you on the screen they'd know. My husband brought a drink to the table and we sat and he let my daughter taste it and they were right on him saying he can't give her that and he said I'm not she's just tasting it. She wondered if it was good and was going to go get herself one. She doesn't really drink but felt like a glass of wine and boy I thought they were going to take it out of her hand. That was on Grandeur two summers ago. :mad:

I think/thought that there was a picture of you that showed up on the screen when they took your card to get the drink and that's how they kept track. If it wasn't you on the screen they'd know. My husband brought a drink to the table and we sat and he let my daughter taste it and they were right on him saying he can't give her that and he said I'm not she's just tasting it. She wondered if it was good and was going to go get herself one. She doesn't really drink but felt like a glass of wine and boy I thought they were going to take it out of her hand. That was on Grandeur two summers ago. :mad:

Ah....thanks for the input. Sounds like they were a lot more strict back then or specifically on that ship. Hope you can get on another cruise soon.

I think the prices were the same at lunch and dinner but I cannot be 100% sure. At dinner the price for a one meat meal was $25, and the two meat meal was $30.

Our sailing is in September. Dining opened up yesterday, but the Hibatchi experience was not available to book (it wasn't listed anywhere in the dining section). Did you book this beforehand or when you got on the ship? We're a group of 7, so I was concerned about availability.

Thanks!

Our sailing is in September. Dining opened up yesterday, but the Hibatchi experience was not available to book (it wasn't listed anywhere in the dining section). Did you book this beforehand or when you got on the ship? We're a group of 7, so I was concerned about availability.

Thanks!

I booked all of the dining when I got on the ship. I tried to make the hibachi dining before getting on though and could not make a reservation larger than 2 people. I think it was under dining experiences not just the regular dining. So the same place where the dream works breakfast is..lei might be wrong but I think that is where it was.

Regarding the servers on Labadee walking around with the bigger coco-loco's in a souvenier cup, not part of drinking package, is there a seperate price for virgin vs with alcohol? Way back when on CocoCay I remember the guys carried a bottle of rum with them so you could buy either with or without. Just wondered about Labadee and if there was a cost difference.

Thanks!

Regarding the servers on Labadee walking around with the bigger coco-loco's in a souvenier cup, not part of drinking package, is there a seperate price for virgin vs with alcohol? Way back when on CocoCay I remember the guys carried a bottle of rum with them so you could buy either with or without. Just wondered about Labadee and if there was a cost difference.

Thanks!

I think there was a difference in price. They were all virgin drinks and then as they were ordered the rum was added.

We did not get the drinks in with the cups....we just went to the bar and got the drinks without the cup.

Popped over from the DIS to read! Great review! The weather was definitely not the best but happy to see you made the best of it as well. I can't believe I never made it to Wipeout Cafe for breakfast, but I fell in love with the solitude in Central Park. Definitely must try Wipeout Cafe next time.

Just wanted to say I'm loving your trip report so far. Looking into booking the Oasis for a family cruise in spring. We've sailed twice with Disney and love it! This past summer we tried Carnival Breeze. So disappointing after being the Disney ships. I'd love to know why your last RC cruise wasn't good? Makes me nervous to book RC :/

Thank!

Nichole