Teppanyaki with Shellfish and Nut allergies

Ed

We have been on NCL ships many times where my wife has had to check in with the Restaurant Managers on the different shipsmand also the Maitre' D at each restaurants to let them know about her food allergies. We have had nothing but great meals in specialty restaurants were we are only the two of us.

We were thinking of eating at Teppanyaki but would have some concerns with a larger group number one, having the chef cook all the meats and shellfish on the same grill and the chances of cross contamination of food. Not sure if they use peanut oils on the grills?

Anyone had any experience with this restaurant and food allergies?

Thanks

Teppanyaki is essentially communally cooked. Someone will undoubtedly order seafood. Chef uses the same knife and spatula for all the different food on the griddle ordinarily. I have been at one where someone had a seafood allergy and they had to keep separate utensils, didn't remember it once and had to start some stuff over. Slowed everything down and was stressful for all of us there, but the lady with the allergies more than anyone.

While I think it is possible I wouldn't recommend it as it just makes it difficult for all involved. Probably not what you want to hear...

While on our last Dawn cruise we were sat with another group at Teppanyaki. Someone in the other group mentioned that she had a shellfish allergy. I am not sure how they accommodated her but she was able to eat with no issues. People in our group, as well as hers, ordered dishes with shellfish.

Just make sure that you let them know and you should be fine.

On the Sun in March - They had TWO chefs cooking simultaneously on two separate grills that are side by side.

One was cooking the Seafood and Vegetables and the other cooked the meat and the rice.

So the rice/meat would not be used with the same surface or utensils as the fish. I guess they could cook some veggies on the one side if requested.

We ate there twice and it was the same both times.

Both times we've eaten Teppanyaki someone (not with us) at our table had a shellfish allergy. One time they cooked the meal first on a clean grill (along with the rest of the chicken, steak, etc.) and then afterwards they cooked shrimp for those who had ordered it once the other stuff was done and served. Since shrimp only takes a minute, it was no big deal to anyone at the table. The other time, the person's meal was prepared in a kitchen outside of our view, then served along with everyone else's. In that case, I didn't hear what the specific allergy was - only that there was one. I'm sure this happens ALL the time, and I'm sure they know how to handle it. To be honest, 2 of the last 4 times I've eaten at Japanese Steakhouses on land, someone at our table has had an allergy!

Edited by LrgPizza

Getaway in April, a guy had a ridiculously long list of ingredients that he said he was allergic to. They had to get the manager and make special arrangements for separate prep and re-order of dishes. Our food took so long the vegetables came first and got cold, then rice... Cold....then meat. It ruined our experience but their party was treated like vip. For consideration of the other guests, let them know about it before you are seated so they can make a plan without making it an ordeal.

Peanut oil is used extensively for teppanyaki style cooking usually in a blend with other oil. I don't know what oil NCL uses, but most teppanyaki restaurants do use peanut oil. Also, peanut oil and sesame oil are extensively used to finish various Asian recipes. These oils provide the gloss and an additional layer of flavor and complexity.

The other thing...if your wife is allergic to peanuts, that type of allergy can be so severe, it's not just a matter of if your wife were to eat it or touch it, even having it in her vicinity at another table in airborne form or having had peanuts in some form on the grill or even on cutlery BEFORE it was cleaned and some small amount of peanut oil is left over, could cause cross contamination. You might think well, her peanut allergy is not that severe, but it CAN become severe suddenly and quite unexpectedly. It's just not something to mess around with. This is JMO, but given the severity of peanut allergy, I'd stay the heck OUT of any Asian restaurant at sea as it is just not worth taking that kind of a chance and frankly, Teppanyaki is not that great of an experience to be worth taking the chance that your wife might be exposed to peanuts. If she were to have an anaphylactic reaction, the ship's doctor would stabilize her with Benedryl and then transport her to a land based ER/hospital which would be very expensive (I believe a heli-med evac costs $100,000+++) and would ruin your vacation. Teppanyaki is just the chef cooking a bunch of mediocre tasting food on a grill in front of you and telling lame jokes and sometimes flipping shrimps into people's mouths. If you have to catch your food with your mouth, it's not exactly a fine dining experience. LOL! So take your wife to Le Bistro or Cagneys instead. Have a romantic evening. That would be far better than taking a chance that your whole cruise might be ruined.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Are any of her allergies airborne? My son has allergies to shellfish, tree nuts and peanuts. The tree nut and peanut allergies are ingestion only, but the shellfish allergy is airborne. He cannot be around shellfish being cooked and breathe in the steam. We don't go to Teppanyaki/hibachi restaurants at home or at sea. Too risky if the allergies are airborne. I've looked for kosher hibachi restaurants (since they can't serve shellfish) with no success, even here in Brooklyn, NY where there are tons of kosher restaurants of various cuisines. I'm sure my son would love the experience, and we feel bad that we can't take him to that type of place.

Edited by bangzoom6877

We have been on NCL ships many times where my wife has had to check in with the Restaurant Managers on the different shipsmand also the Maitre' D at each restaurants to let them know about her food allergies. We have had nothing but great meals in specialty restaurants were we are only the two of us.

We were thinking of eating at Teppanyaki but would have some concerns with a larger group number one, having the chef cook all the meats and shellfish on the same grill and the chances of cross contamination of food. Not sure if they use peanut oils on the grills?

Thanks

If I had those types of food allergies I would not ever eat at a hibatachi restaurant. Why take the chance.

When I ate there on my last cruise, the chef cooked my meal before everyone else's due to my gluten sensitivity. It was a little awkward as I was sitting there eating mine while the other meals were being cooked, but I appreciated the care they took to make sure my food didn't come into contact with anything with gluten in it, like soy sauce.

In May on Epic one person in our party had a shellfish alleged. At 5:45 seating they cooked all food in front of us, but served her before they cooked any shellfish. Second time, was a latter seating. They said since the grill was already used, they would cook her food in the back. She got her food when they just starting cooking everyone else's. So a bit too early.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In May on Epic one person in our party had a shellfish alleged. At 5:45 seating they cooked all food in front of us, but served her before they cooked any shellfish. Second time, was a latter seating. They said since the grill was already used, they would cook her food in the back. She got her food when they just starting cooking everyone else's. So a bit too early.

I also have a shellfish and peanut allergy. This is exactly how they handle it for me. If we are in the 1st seating mine gets cooked before the shellfish goes on. if we have a later seating they cook mine in the back. They do not use peanut oil anywhere on the cruise ship.( I have verified this with multiple F&B managers).

I do travel with Benadryl and 2 epi-pens to be on the safe side.

Maybe a bit early, but should be happy she was appropriately taken care of in regards to the allergy.

Maybe a bit early, but should be happy she was appropriately taken care of in regards to the allergy.

That was the case for me, too. I was eating my dinner while everyone else's food was being cooked. I didn't mind though it was a bit awkward. Better to be a little awkward than sick! :)

On the dawn, in may, one stated an allergy to onions. The chef separated that persons food for half the time, and used the same spatula the whole time. I don't know if it was an allergen to cause anaphylactic shock post consumption or what, but the customer just ate at will. Either way, if i had a anaphylactic shock risk I wouldn't bother. It was fun but not THAT fun.

Thanks

I sailed on the Gem severals years ago, I have a shellfish allergy. They cooked my entire meal in the kitchen, Nothing on my plate came off the grill. Everything was hot and delicious

A couple of weeks ago on the Gem they made my food in the kitchen and presented it along with everyone else's. I still got to enjoy the show and had a safe meal.

Did you contact the access desk and let them know about the dietary restrictions? accessdesk @ ncl dot com. There will be a note in your cabin who to contact to order your meals. I usually just go to lunch after embarkation and let my waiter/waitress know and they send the special diets person to me before the end of lunch. I only mention this because from your post I wasn't sure if you have been speaking to multiple people during your cruise when in general you would usually have 1 contact person. The only exception I have noticed was on the BA where they seemed to be too big to have that system and I got very sick one day.

I hope this helps.