Berlin Pass?

Has anyone used the 2-day Berlin Pass for sightseeing while in Berlin? This is different than the Welcome Card or the Museum Pass. It includes travel passes, the museum pass, some tours and a HOHO bus, and some other things. If anyone has experience with this pass, I have a couple of questions.....mainly about having to use everything within the 2 days. I know you're supposed to, but the different components are on separate passes so I wondered if it's possible to stretch it to 3 days.....?

https://www.berlinpass.com/berlin-pass-prices.php

There is a 3-day-pass available as well. Especially for the transportation it might be important to get the other pass. But I have not used such a pass for a long time, as I seldom will use all the benefits to make it worthwhile. So think about what you like to visit and if the price for either of the two cards is ok for you...

I think I used the "Berlin Welcome Card" which is for transportation and for a few discounts but not free entry.

Yes, thanks, I know that there is a 3-day version as well. The tickets for the different components of the pass are completely separate and don't seem linked in any way (ie, two 1-day transportation tickets, 1 ticket for the HOHO bus, a 3-day museum pass, then the Berlin Pass itself that covers tours, etc). So it seems like using the museum pass will only trigger the museum component's start date, for instance. So we could use the different tickets over the 3 days we are there instead of only two. Or when we first use one of the passes, do they write the date on the Berlin Pass and then everywhere else we go they check that date, therefore limiting it to 2 days? I'm hoping to hear from some one who has had the Berlin Pass and could confirm?

Yes, thanks, I know that there is a 3-day version as well. The tickets for the different components of the pass are completely separate and don't seem linked in any way (ie, two 1-day transportation tickets, 1 ticket for the HOHO bus, a 3-day museum pass, then the Berlin Pass itself that covers tours, etc). So it seems like using the museum pass will only trigger the museum component's start date, for instance. So we could use the different tickets over the 3 days we are there instead of only two. Or when we first use one of the passes, do they write the date on the Berlin Pass and then everywhere else we go they check that date, therefore limiting it to 2 days? I'm hoping to hear from some one who has had the Berlin Pass and could confirm?

Hi, Quote from Berlin Pass website

'The Berlin Pass is an electronic card which works on a scan-and-enter system and will become activated upon entry to your first attraction, or by using your Travelcard. It is always recommended that you activate the pass (or start using the Travelcard) first thing in the morning to get the most out of your pass usage.

The pass is valid for the duration selected, either 2 or 3 days, and can be used on consecutive calendar days only.'

Sorry to disappoint you but I think you will find that somewhere on each of the tickets, passes etc. there is an electronic marker which links them together and activates them all when you use the first one. Not worth trying to get around the system for the sake of an extra 20euros for the 3 day pass.

In Germany many things, entry tickets, transport tickets etc. work on an honour system and are only randomly checked but believe me, if you are caught without a ticket or trying to use the wrong ticket the penalties are usually high. Germans in general are very honest and see trying to get around the system as cheating, very few would try it!

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

I was there in Novebmer 2014 and bought the Berlin Pass.

I know the transportation piece could be used separtely (I did it); the transporation tickets are individual day passes provided in the package and are not linked to any other element.

I don't remember if the other elements were linked, I think the museum card was scanned but other elements had a date written (I'm just not certain). The HOHO ticket was a paper coupon you gave to the driver/guide and they printed out a HOHO ticket for you (completely separate from the museum and transport tickets).

I'd recommend really looking at what is offered in this package before buying it. I am usually a fan of these city 'passes' but was dissappointed in the one for Berlin. The HOHO bus they partner with was the one with the fewest busses and shortest routes. The place to pick-up the pass has limited hours and they were not very helpful in giving maps and/or other information (more focussed on trying to sell me tickets to other things). The museum pass and transportation tickets are good, but can be bought separately along the way.

No matter what you decide, have fun and enjoy. Berlin is a fantastic city.

Edited by ChiGalTravelling

Thanks, Anni. I did read what the website says about being limited to 2 days only. I have also thoroughly looked over the passes and the only one that has any type of electronic chip is the Berlin Pass itself. None of the others do so they don't seem to be electronically linked. In fact, the museum pass says "3-Day-Ticket" right on it, so I think the only way it would be limited to 2-days is if someone knew to check the date on the accompanying Berlin Pass. I don't know how they would know it's part of the "Berlin Pass package" and not just a regular 3-day museum pass. It is the exact same pass as you get here:

http://www.visitberlin.de/sites/default/files/imagecache/high_l_slideshow_580_237/museumspass_j7a0646.jpg

However, I agree with you about cheating the system. I guess my thought was that since they give you 3-day museum passes, why not use them for 3 days. Upon reflection, though, I think trying to get our money's worth out of the passes would involve too much running around. So I think we will be exercising our option to return them for a refund. Then we'll just relax and do what we have time for instead of trying to cram too much in our few days in Berlin.

BTW, we will be passing through your home town of Ludwigslust on Sept. 2 while taking our scenic route from Berlin up to Warnemunde. Is there anything we should make sure to see in your town?

Chigaltravelling, thank you for the reply. I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually used separate components of the passes. But I think we will be returning them since we'd prefer to take our time seeing the sights and absorb the city instead of trying to run from one place to another.

I'm not sure if we'll buy either a welcome pass or a museum card. We'll probably just have a general plan for sightseeing then play it by ear when we get there, depending on weather and how much energy we have.