Do GTY Cabins Ever Change After Assignment?

I booked a GTY on Monday and got my assignment yesterday (58 days out from sailing). I understand how GTY works and I'm not complaining but I'd be lying to say I don't hate the cabin location. Has anyone here ever had their initial GTY assignment changed by RCCL without having to ask? The last time I bought a GTY it was on Princess and I went from an inside to an obstructed balcony, with 3 or 4 re-assignments in between.

Edited by ronandannette

Keep checking the RCL site. Should you find another cabin in the same category you're booked in, immediately call RC or your TA and have them make the switch. We have done this twice with two previous bookings and never had an issue.

Good luck!

Thanks, I know to try that strategy. It wasn't a GTY but on our Liberty cruise last fall we "traded up" from a Promenade to Balcony. :D

On this cruise the category we were assigned is presently selling for much more than what paid for GTY - can I still request a specific cabin within the category in this case?

On this cruise the category we were assigned is presently selling for much more than what paid for GTY - can I still request a specific cabin within the category in this case?

Yes you can!

I booked a GTY balcony on Anthem - got assigned a month after booking (7 mths out from sailing). I got a D8 on deck 6 - cabin 6118 which I wasn't happy abt. I phoned customer service to request a cabin change. Had to stay within D8 but got 8130 which I was so happy about. No questions asked - they just changed it!

Edited by RenaeG

We booked a JS Guarantee on Brilliance approx 18 months ago and was assigned a perfectly adequate cabin within 2 days and approx 7 months out from sailing. Approx 2 weeks out from sailing, we received an invoice for a small amount which confused me as we had paid in full. When I checked my reservation online, there we were in a GS!!! To say I was excited is an understatement and I immediately paid the extra few pounds which was the additional gratuity that suite guests pay.

So yes, they can change, and boy were we pleased with that change.... :-)

Jean

We booked a JS Guarantee on Brilliance approx 18 months ago and was assigned a perfectly adequate cabin within 2 days and approx 7 months out from sailing. Approx 2 weeks out from sailing, we received an invoice for a small amount which confused me as we had paid in full. When I checked my reservation online, there we were in a GS!!! To say I was excited is an understatement and I immediately paid the extra few pounds which was the additional gratuity that suite guests pay.

So yes, they can change, and boy were we pleased with that change.... :-)

Jean

Did u book directly through Royal Carib?

I booked a GTY on Monday and got my assignment yesterday (58 days out from sailing). I understand how GTY works and I'm not complaining but I'd be lying to say I don't hate the cabin location. Has anyone here ever had their initial GTY assignment changed by RCCL without having to ask? The last time I bought a GTY it was on Princess and I went from an inside to an obstructed balcony, with 3 or 4 re-assignments in between.

I know you understand what "GTY" means. I also understand that others are telling you to call and get it changed. That being said, I agree make the call. It never hurts to ask. However, there is no "guarantee" that they will let you "change" to a "specific" cabin number even within the same category. Yes, we have requested this over the years and they have allowed the change. We also have made the request and had it denied. So I agree, make the call and the request but don't be too disappointed if they deny the request. (I am hoping they will allow it.)

Edit: I see this was several days ago. Hope you will come back and tell us what you found out.

Edited by skiiergirl