Norwegian Sky ~ The good and the bad ???

jenale80

So as I was chatting it up with a fellow cruiser while in the terminal waiting for my last cruise, I told her we were sailing on the NCL Sky this year and right away she said, "Cancel it!" So was a avid cruiser with well over 100 cruises under her belt.

Was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were about the SKY? Tell me all the good and the bad, I want to know everything!

We will only be on the ship for 3 days and with a drink package, so really I think we will make the best of it, I'm not too worried, but do wonder why she would say it was soooo bad :confused:

So as I was chatting it up with a fellow cruiser while in the terminal waiting for my last cruise, I told her we were sailing on the NCL Sky this year and right away she said, "Cancel it!" So was a avid cruiser with well over 100 cruises under her belt.

Was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were about the SKY? Tell me all the good and the bad, I want to know everything!

We will only be on the ship for 3 days and with a drink package, so really I think we will make the best of it, I'm not too worried, but do wonder why she would say it was soooo bad :confused:

My family and I were on the Sky late last year over the holidays and had a great cruise. The food was good for our palates and the entertainment was very good. We also found the Captain and crew to be delightful. It of course is a small and older ship and it was very hard to get seating in the buffet during the breakfast and lunch hours but we made it work. We loved GSC but we are really not fans of Grand Bahama Island so we stayed on ship most of that day. Over all we really enjoyed the Sky and would sail on it again if the opportunity was right.

I was on the Sky in March and had a wonderful cruise (and, while not 100 cruises under my belt, I certainly have a few ;) ).

The ship is older and not a glitzy or large as the newer vessels (therefore, the amount of restaurants, etc. are, of course, less). The staff was so amazing and I really thought it's a fantastic ship. Easy to walk around, etc.

The next time I'm in Miami, I'm trying to work it so I can do a 3-day just to go back aboard. :D

Cruises are very subjective - people don't necessarily like the food (not to their taste), or bad weather or just an "off" group of fellow passengers - all these things impact someone's impression.

For a quick 3-day getaway, I think it's awesome. Just remember, you're not on the Getaway or Breakway. Go, have fun (and a nice tropical drink for me!)!

Seriously why do people make that type of comment? :confused: It is totally NOT helpful. That type of statement just starts making you wonder and wonder--so its a good thing you came here to ask the question.

I have not been on the Sky for three years, so I don't feel I can speak accurately on the quality. What I will say is that three years ago when we were planning our trip there were a couple of reviews that were just terrible--everything about the ship was a disaster. I almost decided not to do the trip, but for a short cruise there weren't many options.

Since then I have read the same advice from CC members over and over--and I think it is great advice--and that is--(as Frick and Frack above has already advised)--realize what you are buying. You are not on the Getaway or Breakaway or even the Jewel. You are on a smaller ship, and the options are not as diverse. Likewise, it is a shorter cruise and this also has an impact. Also the ports are not outstanding (right--it's a 3 or 4 day cruise and there's not a lot of time to get somewhere). But get your expectations in line and it is highly likely you will have a wonderful time.

I planned things differently for this cruise than the usual. Like UM-Fan above, we too did not get off the ship in the Bahamas. Generally I am compelled to go into port and do all sorts of things. For this cruise we stayed aboard--and lo and behold we enjoyed the quiet and the convenience of no lines, few people, up front seats at the pool--you get it. It was an outstanding day. Then we thoroughly enjoyed GSC--the same experience there as one would have on any cruise.

The following were other things i heard but were not true for our experience:

"There are way too many partyers, it is a "party boat", full of drunks"--not saying this cannot happen (spring break), but it didn't happen to us. I would not go on the Sky during spring break weeks. Our trip was pretty calm. But the demographic was definitely younger than on other cruises. We don't view that as a bad thing. We have young adult kids and love that age group--but again that's us. Just have reasonable expectations. This is a cruise that perhaps some first time cruisers and younger folks can afford more than others. So the population of the crusie will likely reflect this fact.

"The ship is so small there is nothing to do"--well, that's subjective really. But I'm always wondering exactly what it is people need to entertain them. As we don't need an event every second it was fine. Again, in some ways it was a relief because sometimes I can get buried in wanting to do too many things. I would say we relaxed a lot more and spent lot more time talking. But if your vision is rock climbing and bowling and movie theatres etc.--yes, you are going to find the Sky lacking.

Well, I won't even get started on the food thing--suffice it to say that regardless of how bad anyone says it is--you will not go hungry or be deprived.

As an aside, I had so many concerns about going on this cruise because of all the negative reviews that I made a decision to do it the cheapest way possible. For the first time ever I literally did EVERYTHING the cheapest--no insurance, booked an INSIDE GTY at the rock bottom cost (previously had only been in balcony or suite) with THREE people, ate in NO specialty restaurant, booked NO excursions, and flew in the day of the cruise. It was one of the best cruises I ever went on--we LOVED it. :D

So, if you know up front what to expect and think through it, I think you will come to a good place and be able to have a great time.

No better 3/4 day cruise is out there. Our family has been on Sky many times. The Captain and crew are great, the food is good, the entertainment is better than average, and the amentities are fine. It's NOT a new big cruise ship, but for a great 3/4 day vacation at a great price, it is unbeatable.

Tips: -Hit the Sports bar for late night snacks, popcorn and GREAT chicken wings.

-Get Breakfast at the ITALIAN resturant and avoid the lines in the buffet. It is next to the sports bar and most people don't find it till it's too late.

-Ice cream and Pizza station are next to the Italian bistro and are open all day.

-Call ahead seating at Main dinning room and walk right past the line waiting to be seated.

-Speak Tagalog, The crew is 75 percent Philippino, and if you speak the language (I was stationed there in the military)they really take care of you.

-ENJOY, it's a great little ship.

We were just on the Sky three weeks ago and had a great time. After many cruises I have to say I have not found ANY specialty restaurants that were as great as Cagney's and LeBistro on the Sky. Just outstanding in food, ambiance, and service. The small cabana was just amazing as well compared to cabanas on Coco Cay and Labadee. Not so much the structure itself, but the service and the food we pre ordered, were just a cut above the rest. I can't wait to go again.

While I have not been on 100 cruises, 3 of my 9 cruises have been in the Sky! I've only experienced the 4-day which may have a different atmosphere than a 3-day - but I've enjoyed all 3! The Sky is my go-to ship for a quick introduction to friends/family who have never experienced a cruise....and the people I've sailed with have booked a longer cruise with me afterwards! And the crew on the Sky is probably the best I've ever experienced! :cool:

Go and enjoy the ship! There's always one Negative Nellie in every crowd!

We sailed on the Sky back in 2009, and it was our very first cruise. We loved it so much that we cruise as often as possible, and when we are paying for the trip we book exclusively on NCL. I think that if the ship was really that bad we wouldn't have wanted to continue cruising, and people would not be going on it multiple times. Like it's been said above, it is all in your expectations. If you think it is going to be crappy, then it probably will be. If you go into it thinking that you are going to have a blast because you are on a cruise and not at work, then you are going to have a blast. :p. I am going on the Sky in Dec with my BFF, and it will be her first cruise. Looking forward to getting her hooked on NCL and cruising so that maybe she can join DH and I on future cruises.

Enjoy the cruise!!!

We sailed the 4 day on the Sky in May and loved it. When someone complains about a cruise (or a car or a tv show or a brand of cereal), it pays to ask for specifics. What matters to you may not be the same.

Edited by BamaVol

Sky is just fine. Nice staff who were helpful and friendly. Easy to get around and learn the ship. Very nice decor and seemed newer than 16 or so years old. It has been very well maintained. It also seems like a larger ship than it is.

Great times were had by us. Try Il Adagio as an alternative to the buffet for breakfast and lunch. It's like a mini buffet right off the pool area bar. Complementary, with waffles and omelettes and other breakfast items at breakfast and they serve pizza and pasta for lunch until about 3PM. Then it becomes I believe a pay for, Italian restaurant for dinner.

A very nice bar is the Outrigger lounge on one of the upper decks, forward. Very quiet in the afternoon, with great views, windows all the way around. There is a baby grand piano, I am thinking for the evenings.

Great captain, cruise director and comedian. The shows were better than average of all the lines I have been on.

Of the 3 ships I have taken on NCL, Sky was my favorite.

Don't think about what that person said to you. I loved the Sky.

Happy sailing.

Thanks everyone, for your input. Regardless, I really am looking forward to this cruise, it will be the first time, our kids get to cruise with cousins and we are going with a decent size group. So I figure, even if it is just a boat on water and we have family, endless drink and sand between my toes.... it Will be perfection. This will be a nice introduction for us to NCL, then shortly after we get to try the Jade.... and who knows maybe we go even bigger after that :)

I went on my first solo cruise this February (was able to add on to a work trip) and it was on the Sky. DH and I went on a B2B on the Epic last year, so I went from one of the biggest ships to one of the smallest. I had a wonderful time on the Sky.

As others have mentioned, the crew was warm and friendly. I would highly recommend having your embarkation lunch in the main dining room rather than the buffet. It was such a relaxing start to the cruise. I also enjoyed breakfast in the main dining room one morning. I took all my other meals in the buffet, but I absolutely love eating outside at the Great Outdoors, so I can't really comment specifically on the Sky's specialty restaurants.

I took one of the first tenders to GSC and had my choice of loungers. For about an hour or so, I felt like I had a private beach almost all to myself. It was wonderful! I came back to the ship for lunch, just as the island was starting to get a bit more crowded.

I think you and your family will have a wonderful cruise on the beautiful Sky.

Do you happen to know how late lunch is served in the MDR on embarkation day. we signed up to check in between 11 and 11:30 so anticipate being on the ship maybe by 12:30 or so. Is lunch still offered in the MDR at that time?

Just off the Sky on Monday. Booked it again for August on Wednesday. It was fun, relaxing, and absolutely can't go wrong when you have the drink package! Staff was very kind and helpful. The food was good in regular dining and gourmet in the pay restaurants. As long as you recognize and don't expect it to be Celebrity or Crystal - you will absolutely enjoy what the ship has to offer.

The sky is great, don't listen to the negative Nancys. I've noticed the veteran cruisers get a lot harder to please as time goes on. Those of us that are still relatively new are just happy to be able to cruise.

The sky is great, don't listen to the negative Nancys. I've noticed the veteran cruisers get a lot harder to please as time goes on. Those of us that are still relatively new are just happy to be able to cruise.

Well said, all that you said. I have been on 12 and each time I cruise I am thrilled to be on board and so enjoy myself. I can't imagine me complaining if I do 100 cruises. I hope I get to. Cheers and happy sailing.

Well said, all that you said. I have been on 12 and each time I cruise I am thrilled to be on board and so enjoy myself. I can't imagine me complaining if I do 100 cruises. I hope I get to. Cheers and happy sailing.

I feel the exact same way you do, everytime I'm on a ship I just think of what a blessing it is for me to be able to do it. Plus I think it's because I'm 32 and I've just started being able to afford to do it, some people have been doing it all their lives. Every new experience in my life is a blessing.

Seriously why do people make that type of comment? :confused: It is totally NOT helpful. That type of statement just starts making you wonder and wonder--so its a good thing you came here to ask the question.

I have not been on the Sky for three years, so I don't feel I can speak accurately on the quality. What I will say is that three years ago when we were planning our trip there were a couple of reviews that were just terrible--everything about the ship was a disaster. I almost decided not to do the trip, but for a short cruise there weren't many options.

Since then I have read the same advice from CC members over and over--and I think it is great advice--and that is--(as Frick and Frack above has already advised)--realize what you are buying. You are not on the Getaway or Breakaway or even the Jewel. You are on a smaller ship, and the options are not as diverse. Likewise, it is a shorter cruise and this also has an impact. Also the ports are not outstanding (right--it's a 3 or 4 day cruise and there's not a lot of time to get somewhere). But get your expectations in line and it is highly likely you will have a wonderful time.

I planned things differently for this cruise than the usual. Like UM-Fan above, we too did not get off the ship in the Bahamas. Generally I am compelled to go into port and do all sorts of things. For this cruise we stayed aboard--and lo and behold we enjoyed the quiet and the convenience of no lines, few people, up front seats at the pool--you get it. It was an outstanding day. Then we thoroughly enjoyed GSC--the same experience there as one would have on any cruise.

The following were other things i heard but were not true for our experience:

"There are way too many partyers, it is a "party boat", full of drunks"--not saying this cannot happen (spring break), but it didn't happen to us. I would not go on the Sky during spring break weeks. Our trip was pretty calm. But the demographic was definitely younger than on other cruises. We don't view that as a bad thing. We have young adult kids and love that age group--but again that's us. Just have reasonable expectations. This is a cruise that perhaps some first time cruisers and younger folks can afford more than others. So the population of the crusie will likely reflect this fact.

"The ship is so small there is nothing to do"--well, that's subjective really. But I'm always wondering exactly what it is people need to entertain them. As we don't need an event every second it was fine. Again, in some ways it was a relief because sometimes I can get buried in wanting to do too many things. I would say we relaxed a lot more and spent lot more time talking. But if your vision is rock climbing and bowling and movie theatres etc.--yes, you are going to find the Sky lacking.

Well, I won't even get started on the food thing--suffice it to say that regardless of how bad anyone says it is--you will not go hungry or be deprived.

As an aside, I had so many concerns about going on this cruise because of all the negative reviews that I made a decision to do it the cheapest way possible. For the first time ever I literally did EVERYTHING the cheapest--no insurance, booked an INSIDE GTY at the rock bottom cost (previously had only been in balcony or suite) with THREE people, ate in NO specialty restaurant, booked NO excursions, and flew in the day of the cruise. It was one of the best cruises I ever went on--we LOVED it. :D

So, if you know up front what to expect and think through it, I think you will come to a good place and be able to have a great time.

YOYO, thank you for your post. I'm getting married on the Sky and every review I have seen has been about how awful the food is and how crummy the ship is. It made me freak out. I'm glad to know that it's not horrible. I realize it's not the newest and most extravagant ship, but I am glad to know it's not awful.