8 yr old and 16 yr old

CruisingGirl

Hi Everyone,

My DH and I will have other family members sailing with us next year and there will be 2 kids ages 8 and 16. We are undecided on if we should do a Disney or Carnival cruise. We want to make sure that the cruise is pleasing for both kids. Any suggestions?? :confused:

We have never sailed on Disney, so you might want to ask on the Disney boards what they offer for older teens. Carnival has programs for kids ages 2 through 17 and my kids have had a blast in both Camp Carnival, when they were younger, and, on our last cruise, Club02 (for ages 15-17). There was a 7 year old girl in our group when we sailed the Conquest in June. She made a lot of friends at camp and had a fun week.

We went on the Disney Magic in 2000, with 7 other families with over 20 kids aged 1 to 15. Plenty of things to do for the kids. Activities were plentiful. Only problems we had:

- Our 7 yr old didn't always want to go to the Oceaneers club, and wanted to stay with Mom and Dad. Lots of other kids enjoyed Oceaneers immensely. I think it depends on child's personality

- Our 10 year old wanted to hang out with her 13-14 year old cousins, who had more freedom on the ship, and we did not allow her that much freedom.

When I ask our girls about the cruise now, they both remember how much they loved the Disney cruise. I considered Disney this time around, but they are sailing the Eastern Caribbean for school vacation week, and we have done that already. If they were doing Western Caribbean, we would have gone on Disney instead of Carnival, as we liked the itinerary better, as it included Key West.

Other than itinerary, I don't think we are really settling. Now that the kids are out of the Disney phase of childhood (sniff!), I think they'll have more fun on Carnival. My oldest will be 16 on the cruise, and she can't wait to go to the teen dance club.

Went with our 16 & 1/2yr, (had to add the1/2 because it is so important to them at that age!),he had a blast. Did not sign him up for anything on the ship, he just met friends on his own. For the younger child I would definataly look into Camp Carnival. From what I have read on these boards they have a great program.

From reading your post there seems to be only two children going with you on your trip. I would personally not go on Disney if this were the case, unless you want to be surronded by a trillion kids. Trust me there is just as much to do on Carnival to keep the kids happy & the adults ;) !

Archived