HAL shuttle in Venice?

RMLincoln

I've posted on the Ports board, with not much response....

We will overnight in Venice on Nieuw Amsterdam, the night before disembarkation. Our arrival into Venice is 1pm. We'd like to go to a classical music venue that evening, concert is at 9pm.

I'd like to know if HAL usually has a shuttle boat from the pier to St Mark's Square. If so, do we pay for it each way, round trip or might it be for unlimited trips?

Thanks for your help. I was trying to pre-purchase our vaporetto passes but not sure if we'll need them if there is a shuttle. m--

I've posted on the Ports board, with not much response....

We will overnight in Venice on Nieuw Amsterdam, the night before disembarkation. Our arrival into Venice is 1pm. We'd like to go to a classical music venue that evening, concert is at 9pm.

I'd like to know if HAL usually has a shuttle boat from the pier to St Mark's Square. If so, do we pay for it each way, round trip or might it be for unlimited trips?

Thanks for your help. I was trying to pre-purchase our vaporetto passes but not sure if we'll need them if there is a shuttle. m--

To my knowledge there is no shuttle boat. You can usually get the Alilaguna nearby to St Marks or else take the People Mover to the Piazale Roma and then a Vaparetto to wherever you wish to go. That may be a better choice if you are out during the day since you could buy a 24 hour ticket. It will be more cost effective. The people mover is 1 euro each way I believe. Unless the price has gone up since 2011.

The Alilaguna runs on a schedule and you pay for each direction. Unless things have changed you cannot buy a day pass.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

No shuttle boat when we were there in 2010. I second Terri's suggestion of the People Mover to P. Roma, but be aware that it does not run 24/7 so you may have to leave your concert early to take it back to the port station. Tickets are now €1.30 but you may not have to buy one if you have a left-over bus ticket.

See http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover-tickets-and-fares.htm for times of operation.

Edited by catl331

Thank you both, although that was not what I was hoping to hear. Last time we ported in Venice we were on Princess and they had an unlimited shuttle for $15pp, albeit that was in 2010. If we're too late for the People Mover we will either walk it or taxi it. The vaporetto 1-day pass is now E20pp or E7 one way, so 3 trips makes it worth it. I'm also trying to figure out if a carnet of bus tickets would be worth it too... we will be a day pre-cruise staying in Mestre so that may be a good idea too.

Again, many thanks to you for sharing your experience. m--