Cruise Days vs. VIFP Points

shortstop95

Since the new loyalty program was rolled out - my profile always shows my total # of cruise days and then my total # of VIFP points. These have always been the same. Why show two numbers? Do you think there where ever be a difference? Be able to earn VIFP points other than cruise days? I know Royal Caribbean gives you two points a night for booking suites. Just curious and have never heard anything about the reasoning behind the two totals.

Since the new loyalty program was rolled out - my profile always shows my total # of cruise days and then my total # of VIFP points. These have always been the same. Why show two numbers? Do you think there where ever be a difference? Be able to earn VIFP points other than cruise days? I know Royal Caribbean gives you two points a night for booking suites. Just curious and have never heard anything about the reasoning behind the two totals.

My guess is that they wanted to create a system that would be flexible enough to add additional dimensions to the program in the future. NCL and Holland America both go beyond just days. NCL gives bonuses for booking early and for booking suites. HAL gives you extra points based on what you spend onboard as well as days. I can easily see Carnival adding something like this to the mix at some point.

I also think that some cruises don't count toward VIPP points but do count toward day at sea. Perhaps someone can help me out on this but I don't think "free" cruises like bounce back offers count toward VIPP.

That would be correct. Non-revenue cruises (aka free cruises) do not count towards VIFP and the loyalty program. So the winner of a free cruise(s) would show more days sailed than VIFP points awarded.

I just looked on mine, while double checking to make sure Carnival fixed my account (Another story for another thread).

My 8 day in January counted for VIFP that was a $50pp cruise with the $50 onboard credit. So since I had to dish out $100 I guess it wasn't free for accounting purposes.

My days sailed and vifp matchup even though some of my cruises have been free bounce backs. Although, I usually upgrade to a balcony from the free inside- last time for only $80. So, if the upgrade is the only thing getting me all the points, great!

I wondered about # of cruise days & # of VIFP points. Very possible they have plans for the future.

That would be correct. Non-revenue cruises (aka free cruises) do not count towards VIFP and the loyalty program. So the winner of a free cruise(s) would show more days sailed than VIFP points awarded.

We did a free cruise on the Pride last year (completely free as in balcony cabin, port fees/taxes, gratuities included) and I got 7 days and 7 points for it. This was an offer for certified Carnival TAs. Pretty cool to get a freebie for 3 of us :)

This is directly from the Carnival website. I guess the term may makes this program as wishy washy as all of Carnival's other rules.

"VIFP Points may not be awarded for certain charters and/or non-revenue fares, as reasonably determined by CCL."

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/faqs.aspx#q-1197350

Paragraph 4

Edited by Out to sea!

This is directly from the Carnival website. I guess the term may makes this program as wishy washy as all of Carnival's other rules.

"VIFP Points may not be awarded for certain charters and/or non-revenue fares, as reasonably determined by CCL."

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/faqs.aspx#q-1197350

Paragraph 4

LOL they aren't rules. Read enough contractual language and you'll find that they can change darn near anything at any time. Every single travel rewards/frequent whatever program is the same. They can change or eliminate it at ANY time for ANY reason.

LOL they aren't rules. Read enough contractual language and you'll find that they can change darn near anything at any time. Every single travel rewards/frequent whatever program is the same. They can change or eliminate it at ANY time for ANY reason.

And this helps answer the OP's question how?? :rolleyes:

Rules/Terms/FAQs, use whatever term of choice you want and I'll use what I want.

And this helps answer the OP's question how?? :rolleyes:

Rules/Terms/FAQs, use whatever term of choice you want and I'll use what I want.

The question was already answered, well before you posted on the thread. Your additional commentary about "wishy washy" Carnival was likely of little use to the OP.

Have a great night!

The question was already answered, well before you posted on the thread. Your additional commentary about "wishy washy" Carnival was likely of little use to the OP.

Have a great night!

Actually, I provided the official info from Carnival and was the first to do so. Prior to that was just a bunch of opinions. But thanks for playing. :p

Actually, I provided the official info from Carnival and was the first to do so. Prior to that was just a bunch of opinions. But thanks for playing. [emoji14]

The information provided by myself and others are far from opinions, they are facts. My cruise, taken in January of 2014 was free and counted.

Good shot, but try again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Before this devolved into "who gave the best advice", I was going to say:

When and how did Carnival change from counting "cruises" to counting "nights"? When RCCL did that a few years ago, there were people that were "grandfathered" into a higher level than they would have had based on the number of nights. These people had many short cruises and made upper loyalty ranks with relatively few nights.

By keeping points and nights separate, they could add enough points to adjust the loyalty level while still keeping an accurate count of nights to advance to the next level. Maybe this is too complicated.

One thing is a given, you'll probably get as many different answers from Carnival as you got from everyone here.

My guess is that they wanted to create a system that would be flexible enough to add additional dimensions to the program in the future.

The information provided by myself and others are far from opinions, they are facts. My cruise, taken in January of 2014 was free and counted.

Good shot, but try again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was a great fact you put out there sunshine. Thanks for playing. :rolleyes: