Foster's resort--?diving??

Tarheelbelle

I have seen a number of threads discussing Fosters, but none really mentioned anything except the beach/snorkeling/horseback riding. In looking at their website, they offer diving, including a Dolphin Dive---not the same as a Dolphin Encounter. [i have seen this offered at Anthony's Key Resort, but they told us yesterday by phone it is not offered to ship passengers, just their paying overnight guests "unless you show up and we have space, then you can book it and go".] There is no such disclaimer on the Foster's website, and one can be a day gueat there, purchasing a day pass.

So I am asking if anyone on the boards has had experience with diving through Fosters.

Thanks!

When I was staying at Fosters in May of this year a dive operator named Octopus Dive School was just getting started. They were building an office and acquiring supplies (tanks, etc), but they were not operational while I was there (even though Fosters assured me they would be when I booked the trip), so I didn't get to dive with them. At the time they had a small-ish boat that was not covered, and I would have been concerned about the lack of shade during the trips to and from the dive sites. Hopefully they've been successful enough by now to afford a bigger boat.

My guess is that Octopus would be flexible enough to adapt to your schedule. They're a small operation, and probably hungry for clients. The woman I spoke to there, Nuria, is very nice. I would consider them for my next trip to Roatan.

Since Octopus couldn't take me out I switched over to another operator called Bananarama. They're much larger than Octopus; much better established. They ran a nice operation and I wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

Whoever you hook up with, make sure they take you to Spooky Channel. It was my favorite dive on Roatan.

One last thought: there is a section on these boards devoted to scuba and snorkeling; you might try posting this question there as well. You may get a better response...

Archived