Platinum Question!

sgiflips

I am turning Platinum on my next cruise. My kids are going with their friends and they have their own rooms next door to me and my husband. Will they be allowed to do Priority boarding and tendering with me? They are 18 and under. Thanks!

I am turning Platinum on my next cruise. My kids are going with their friends and they have their own rooms next door to me and my husband. Will they be allowed to do Priority boarding and tendering with me? They are 18 and under. Thanks!

I think, and this may not be the exact answer, but if the other room is on your booking #, they may be able to board etc with you. :confused:

You might want to Call Carnival to verify , since they are constantly changing VIFP policies?:)

From Carnival's FAQs:

For those guests traveling with minor children alone (without an adult) in separate staterooms that do not fall into one of the three categories above, these additional staterooms may check in through the Priority Check-In Program as well.

I don't think 18 qualifies as a minor, but who knows?

Edited by KenMo

My experience was a "no". When booking my daughter (18) and her friend in the cabin next to us, Carnival said they would not have priority status for embarkation. We put my husband in with her and me with her friend. Switched at GS once we boarded. I know people disagree with this but Carnival told me to do it this way at the time of booking. :D

My experience was a "no". When booking my daughter (18) and her friend in the cabin next to us, Carnival said they would not have priority status for embarkation. We put my husband in with her and me with her friend. Switched at GS once we boarded. I know people disagree with this but Carnival told me to do it this way at the time of booking. :D

We also did this as instructed on a previous cruise with our adult kids ..... It was a Hassle and a pain in the rear to do .... but it worked. Not sure I personally would do it again.

Question on Carnival website: If a guest is sharing a cabin with another guest in a different level (e.g. a Platinum and a Gold), how will benefits apply to the stateroom?

Answer on Carnival website: Benefits are meant to recognize individual members and are therefore not transferable to travel companions.

Is it just 1 more room? You say "rooms".

We also did this as instructed on a previous cruise with our adult kids ..... It was a Hassle and a pain in the rear to do .... but it worked. Not sure I personally would do it again.

Really? We have used it since the 2010 cruise. Drop our bags off, spend 5 -10 minutes at GS and off to lunch. Sorry it was a hassle for you. We don't hesitate to use it. It's the only "perk" we really like.

Took my two recent college grad daughters with me three weeks ago on PRIDE. As they were in their own room, they had a separate booking number..and would not have been Priority for embarkation. However, the Upgrade Fairy called, we migrated them to a Suite - solved that problem. They did ask at Baltimore ("Welcome back Mr. Platinum. OH, your daughters are in a Suite? Oh... ok....they can go with you to the Platinum lounge..") and it would have been a 'no' otherwise.

Regarding tendering, if they're part of your party for HMC Cabana or other shore excursion, they can (and would have, but weather cancelled the HMC stop) get priority tendering...but that's really because they're on an excursion...and not because of any platinum dust rubbing off me.

Question on Carnival website: If a guest is sharing a cabin with another guest in a different level (e.g. a Platinum and a Gold), how will benefits apply to the stateroom?

Answer on Carnival website: Benefits are meant to recognize individual members and are therefore not transferable to travel companions.

However, if they are cabinmates & on the same boarding pass, they will be able to board together.

the best way to answer the question is really to know

1st... how many other cabins are there besides yours and your husbands

2nd and exactly how old are your kids and their friends in each cabin ?

Crazy as it sounds it makes a difference... Passengers in other cabins traveling with a Platinum guest are allowed to board with them as long as they are UNDER the age of 18. If even one of the passengers is 18 or older, then no, the correct answer is that they should not be allowed to board with you..

Now, with that being said, there are exceptions, like who is at the line at the time you walk up and say Hi, we're Platinum and they check your boarding passes.. Some employees will say to all of you enter here while other employees will say, Mr and Mrs go in this line, all others will need to go to that line...

Wait a minute, I think everyone is missing the most important detail. OP says they are "turning" platinum on this cruise. To me that means they are GOLD at embarkation, and none of them will board early without FTTF! :eek:

Unless they have changed it, you are not Platinum until AFTER it is complete.

Wait a minute, I think everyone is missing the most important detail. OP says they are "turning" platinum on this cruise. To me that means they are GOLD at embarkation, and none of them will board early without FTTF! :eek:

This is incorrect - you 'become' platinum on your 'platinum' cruise - even if this happens during the cruise - you will have a platinum card ready for you in the lounge at embarkation (e.g. your boarding pass will most likely say platinum or VIP or something to indicate this....)

How are their S&S cards going to get to the P&D lounge for sign in?

Someone actually 'goes' outside and gets them :) - this has happened to me a few times when travelling with a platinum friend..... may take a few more minutes but no big deal...

Edited by Froufie

If they are under 21 and your are the guardian, they will board with you given they cannot cruise without you. (Remember if under 21 the person must have either an adult 25 or older in the same cabin OR must be a certain # of cabins from their guardian). I just had this situation with my 19 year old son and his friend who cruised in a room next to us and they put them in the priority line with us. Enjoy!

Edited by VaTech8912

Instead of getting new cards, just get a room key.

A disadvantage is that your folio is only accessible in the assigned cabin. To check you'd have to go to GS or use a kiosk.

Another question, or a better one, is...will you be able to get them all into the Platinum and Diamond Past Guest Party :D

You can get a duplicate (non-charging) room key for the "minor's" room. (It is a different color so easy to distinguish from the Platinum one) Only catch is one of the "minors" needs to go to desk services with you to "approve" you having a key. I found this odd given they are under 21, cannot cruise by themselves, but I had to get their permission for the extra key. Oh well....

How are their S&S cards going to get to the P&D lounge for sign in?

My comment was only to the 2 in the same cabin. Their S & S cards are probably already together because if they print one boarding pass, it would say PRIORITY. Those in other cabins would be in a different location.

Wait a second minute. I don't know if this is a change, but this is incorrect. They will be Platinum first day of the cruise your 75th day falls in.

Wait a second minute. I don't know if this is a change, but this is incorrect. They will be Platinum first day of the cruise your 75th day falls in.

I guess I was thinking of the old way, where you were not platinum until after your 10th cruise. Sorry for the misinformation!:o