Freeze on adding a passenger to a room????

Lisamm724

We just got off the Gem on Sunday and loved it! Loved it so much that while on board we booked another Cruise this time with our kids and going to take along my In laws with us. So when I called to add the kids to each room they told me I can't that there is a freeze on adding passengers and to call back at a later time to see if it will be lifted!

Has this happened to anyone and if so do they lift it????

I don't want to plan on going then it doesn't open up i'm stuck without a Vacation for my kids for 2016.

Thank you

The general rule is to put ALL the people in the cabin that "might" be going right up front and then "cancel" them or remove them prior to final payment if they decide not to go. However, it sounds like you are within the final payment period so you may well be SOL. Only "real" chance is if the TA can move you to a different cabing where the lifeboats aren't already at capacity.

I DID run into this when we were planning our trip and told the oldest son that unless we put him in right "up front", he might not be able to go. He decided he would skip this trip so we only booked 3 of us instead of 4. Checked again later and yep, the room could not hold any more. Was offered to move from suite to Ocean View as our only option should he decide to re-join the family so he stays home.

This happens when the ship has already booked quite a lot of 3rd/4th guests in cabins, while there are still cabins available. The hope is that they can sell all the 1st/2nd berths (all cabins), since these cost more than the 3rd/4th. So, when it looks like the ship might be close to maximum capacity (which is based on lifeboat seating), they will put a freeze on 3rd/4th guest booking to try to force booking of the empty cabins. As the time nears for the cruise, if all the cabins still haven't sold, they may unfreeze the 3rd/4th guest bookings.

When is this cruise? In 2016 right. Seems like a far out date to have rooms at capacity for life boats..unless it's during a time like Spring break. I know a lot of people booked this past spring when all the good perks were being offered so there is a chance that if you are going during a busy time they are truly booked up for rooms of 3 or 4. You could check on moving it to another date or ship.