Transportation in St. Maarten

Great Bay Beach is quite near the Cruise Facility -- perhaps a 20 minute walk along a flat path. It forms the waterfront along where all the great shopping, restaurants and bars are located.

BUT, I would limit myself to literally putting feet into the water, as I have concerns over water quality in Great Bay.

gary

Gary, have you been to Anse Marcel since the RIU took over at the Raddison? The only empty spots there are those unfortunate restaurants now that an all-inclusive resort has moved in. We went in May. What a disappointment. I loved this beach but all you could see was chairs and umbrellas. This is definitely a touristy beach now. When folks stay at AI's they tend to STAY at AI's.:D

Also can you swim at Guana Bay. I have seen it before but it offered zero appeal to me.

Simpson Bay is a long beach and there are parts that have very few tourists. One could definitely get the best of both worlds at this beach, quiet and peaceful and within a 10 minute beach walk you have lunch and washroom facilities.

karysa, missed your questions earlier.

No, I haven't been to Anse Marcel post RIU, sounds a shame.

Here's a video I shot at Guana some time ago. Same conditions on other visits. The sign says Swimming Advisory, Strong Undertow.

gary

• 3 weeks later...
WOW!

Sorry that you're so frustrated, but I've only noticed one post from you asking about transportation, and that was just an hour ago.

To directly answer your question, there is no 'bus route' that goes to le Galion or Orient.

There is not even a real bus 'system' on the island. It is a combination of independent drivers that determine their own schedules and to a large extent their own routes.

There are published routes and fares, but none go to Orient. Le Galion is adjacent.

It might be possible to pay a driver to divert to the beach, but it's not on any published route.

Personally, I don't find the taxi rates so bad.

th_sxmtaxirates.jpg

(click)

That doesn't show an Orient/Maho fare because it is non standard. I've posted here before an estimate of what it might be, but not right now -- it's late.

Consider going to Mullet Bay Beach instead of Orient/Galion, and you could do that by bus, or taxi.

gary

Thanks for that image, Gary. I'm wondering if those rates are from the pier or from Front or Back Streets in Phillipsburg. Thanks.

We had been considering taking a bus to Marigot and then a txi back, but after considering the 20 min walk to get to the bus area, I am rethinking that. I fatigue easily and that will not be the best use of my energy.

Also, is tipping the driver standard there?

The posted rates were from the Cruise Facility, but should be the same from downtown Philipsburg.

Tipping is customary for a taxi ride, not so much for a bus driver, but if they're friendly/helpful and give you any kind of narrative about your journey (like a mini-tour?) a tip would probably be appreciated.

gary

• 3 weeks later...
Do you happen to know if there is a way I can look up the plane schedule for that particular day a week or so ahead of time? Our day is pretty much going to revolve around what's going on at Maho.

I would like to know this too! Going to St. Martin on September 2016 [emoji6]

Thinking about taking the bus from Philipsburg cruise port to Mullet Bay. Just verifying that it takes 20 minutes to walk to the bus station? How is the walk?

20 minutes sounds about right to me, but it's not a bus station, it's a bus stop, Bus Halte in Dutch, and they are along back street. Look for a sign 'Bus Halte' or markings on the street. Definitely one directly behind the Courthouse.

gary

• 2 years later...
Hi. Do you know what the cost is from the airport to hotel mercure marina and spa. Windstar charges 30 pp and just don't know if that's more then a regular taxi. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you seen the damage to this wonderful island from Irma? I suggest you use a search engine to see the devistated airport,Maho beach and other areas. I have read that the French section which we know well sustained severe damage.

The airport was destroyed. I do not know about damage to the cruise ports but this should be considered.

This is a wonderful island and will rebuild but not in a manner of months.

Best wishes for your travels.