Help!!!

cortneyward

I booked a cruise this morning for January. I had always done early saver before but currently, my uncle has brain cancer so we didn't want to do that since we couldn't get a refund. However, the agent messed up and booked early saver with price protection. Can someone please tell me if I'm "more protected" to do this or to swap out of early saver with no protection? If we were to need to cancel, we'd be more than happy with credit but it would be very last minute. I've read what carnivals site says and spoken to an agent but I'm still confused. Please help!

You would do better with insurance that covers in case of a relative.

After final payment, it doesn't matter how you booked, cancelation penalties kick in and get higher the closer the cruise is.

I booked a cruise this morning for January. I had always done early saver before but currently, my uncle has brain cancer so we didn't want to do that since we couldn't get a refund. However, the agent messed up and booked early saver with price protection. Can someone please tell me if I'm "more protected" to do this or to swap out of early saver with no protection? If we were to need to cancel, we'd be more than happy with credit but it would be very last minute. I've read what carnivals site says and spoken to an agent but I'm still confused. Please help!

What not have the agent fix the mistake (if they made the mistake)?

Thank you! They offered to fix it, I just want to make sure of my best option first. Thanks!

If they offered to fix it, I'd take them up on that. That way up until final payment if you need to cancel you just cancel and get a refund. Insurance would be used if you needed to cancel after final payment.

I am not understanding something right here I think.

You are concerned about cancelling if you uncle becomes worse or dies correct.

So you want to be able to cancel the cruise and get your money back if this happens?

This is the part I am not understanding.

If uncle dies before final payment, you could still make the cruise. ie, no need to cancel.

If uncle dies just before the cruise and you cancel, you would get nothing back unless you had insurance.

Cancel for any reason would get you back 75% of your loss.

Now this is the bit that has me scratching my head.

What does the rate you book under matter?

After final payment, both rates have the same cancelation penalty.

Am I not understanding your question correctly?

Consider buying 3rd party Insurer (CSA, TravelEx, USAA's Policies if you're military qualified....) within 14 days of booking your cruise so as to include "Waiver of pre-existing conditions" and the option to buy "Cancel for Any Reason" (usually added 50% premium - note that various policies provide varying ranges of refund from 50% to 90% depending on the insurer/policy - something to checkout before purchasing).

Cruiseline policy doesn't include the Waiver and includes Cancel for Any Reason but with 75% future cruise credit.

Is Uncle to cruise with you, if so he may have to be medically fit to cruise the day you purchase insurance - something to checkout before purchasing.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Yes, I needed to know if I backed out last minute (he gets worse or passes), would I be covered. From what I had understood previously, early saver would have zero protection after final payment, but the other way would offer protection under certain circumstances. I didn't realize an uncle wasn't one of those circumstances.

Either way, I dropped the cruise protection in lieu of a third party insurance that'll cover it all the way to 100% and am still booked early saver. So excited for this cruise, it'll be my husbands first!