gold rock beach or deadman's reef?

qek585

Hi everyone, I'm taking my family to a bahamas cruise this november and we are trying to figure out what to do on this island. I've read reviews and it seem these two are fantastic in their own way. I love to snorkel so I'd like to go to deadman's reef, but my wife wants a secluded beach where she our kids can spend the day looking for shells and whatnot. It just seems that the reviews paint these two as completely different beaches. One has great snorkeling and a lousy beach, the other has a great beach and lousy snorkeling. Not to mention they're on the opposite side of each other. I just wanted to ask if the review are accurate, or if either one can fit the bill.

Can I snorkel at gold rock beach? There doesn't seem to be a reef accessible from shore.

Can paradise cove's beach compare in any way to gold rock beach's pristine beauty? Cuz from all the pictures, Gold rock looks amazing. Paradise cove? ehh....

I'm planning on renting a car to drive out there myself because I heard taxis there are quite expensive, unless you're in a full van. Plus I'm not guaranteed to find one to get back. Is this accurate as well? How does one get back from a place as secluded as gold rock beach or paradis cove?

If you were trying to find a beach that would please everybody, which in grand bahama island would it be?

We went to Paradise Cove last November and really didn't care for it.

The beach is not that nice and upon entry to the water, it's nothing but slimy rocks and hard to walk just to get past it to where you can swim to go out to the snorkeling. It's definitely not really a place if you want a "pretty" beach to hang out at. It will not compare to Gold Beach for sure.

I have a complete review with TONS of pictures of our day there if you are interested. It's located in my signature line.

I just read your review of Paradise cove/deadman's reef.

Oh you poor thing :(.....

You made my decision a lot easier. Gold rock beach it is. I too have snorkeled quite a bit and have my own ideas of what a good reef is, and from your pictures (which were fantastic) this was not a "good" reef. What camera are you using btw?

• 2 weeks later...
I just read your review of Paradise cove/deadman's reef.

Oh you poor thing :(.....

You made my decision a lot easier. Gold rock beach it is. I too have snorkeled quite a bit and have my own ideas of what a good reef is, and from your pictures (which were fantastic) this was not a "good" reef. What camera are you using btw?

Can I ask what company you are using to rent your car from? I'm pricing all options. We will almost have a full van, there are 7 of us, but it may be better to rent a car. I'm looking into Gold Rock Beach also. I can't really find many reviews on it though.

I can't really find many reviews on it though.

There are tons of reviews on Trip Advisor of Gold Rock Beach. They all seem to be excellent and it's rated as #1 things to do in Lucayan National Park (which is where it is located). :)

Just know that it's not too close to the port (so if you are not in port for very long, it might not be doable). I was researching it once and found that a lot of people do the ship excursion for this reason and to keep from missing the ship. They have a kayak ride in the man grove areas and at the park and then on to the beach. (Although if I had it my way, I would want to do just the beach :p). But, everyone that does this tour states that it's one of the best days of the cruise and everyone seems to enjoy it.

I just thought I would mention it just in case you are not in port long and are pressed for time.