Naples bus or team routes

CruiseIreland

I am trying to figure out the best way to get from the port to Pio Monte della Misericordia on Via dei Tribunali. Could take metro to Dante and walk but not sure how far that would be! We will walk back via Capella Sansevero. Thanks. Ken

You could do that but you'd be on the opposite end of Via Tribunali from your destination.

The more direct way to get there would be to walk a half mile to Piazza Bovio (cross the main street in front of the cruise port, walk one block up to Via Depretis, turn right and follow this to the Piazza (big circle, you can't miss it).

Bear left at the Piazza around the corner onto Via Sanfelice and you'll see the bus stop. Here you get the E1 which will take you up Via Duomo to the Duomo-Tribunali stop. Turn right onto Via Tribunali and it will be on your right about a block and a half.

E1 route here: http://www.anm.it/Upload/RES/PDF/LINEE/E1_2014.pdf

Would there be any way of mitigating the half mile walk?

Not really. If that's going to be an issue I think a cab to your first stop would be in order.

By the way, the walk from the Dante metro station to Pio Monte della Misericordia is 6/10ths of a mile.

No, you're not. The walk to Piazza Bovio is completely flat as it's all quite near the port. It's not a significant difference in distance so do what seems more interesting or easy to you. I know that lots of people prefer a metro or train with fixed stops as it's easier to know where you are.

I should admit that I spent an entire month in Rome, the first time I was there, without stepping foot on a bus. I didn't speak Italian, I didn't know the city well yet, and I was afraid of winding up in some strange part of town. The metro is static and known and it felt a lot safer and easier to me (although the metro in Rome is almost useless for the places a tourist wants to get to).

Even though I know Naples pretty well now I still find myself at a bus stop staring at the list of stops trying to figure out what's up with a bus I've not used before.

Interestingly, we found the metro in Rome very useful although we only spent a week there. We spent a week in Sorrento a few years later and used the Circumvesuviana, metro and local buses. Found Italian public transportation very good and walked a lot in Rome & Naples.

Bugging you cos we have booked late and it's gonna be hot next week. Thinking of metro from Municipio to Universita and getting the E1 from sanfelice as you suggested. What am l missing? Thanks again, Ken.

Nothing, it just wouldn't have occurred to me to use the metro for the one stop. It's a good solution.

Be sure to get an "Aziendale" (aka "integrato") ticket that covers both segments of the trip.

Brilliant, thanks a mill. Looking forward to seeing the 'Pio Monte della Misericordia', the Cappella Sansevero followed by the Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano on Via Toledo and then walk back to ship via Galleria Umberto. Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to report back on how it went. We walked out of the terminal and started looking for the metro station. Mistakenly walked to the right but realized soon enough that we were headed in wrong direction and turned back. Asked local in bad Italian. He directed with hand gestures. Got all day tickets and found metro. It's in the middle of a building site directly opposite the terminal. Took it 2 stops to Garibaldi. Exited station and, via reading tourist map and the position of the sun, got lost! Three helpful locals later, we entered Via dei Tribunali, a long, narrow, cobbled street. We located Pio Monte della Misericordiae and marvelled at the church treasures and a magnificent Caravaggio. Onwards up Tribunali and across Duomo to Capella Sansevero. It's off on a side street, Calata Sansevero Pietrasanta. Wonderful sculpture of the Veiled Christ and the macabre skeletons with the veins and arteries meticulously modelled or preserved. Onwards via Port d'Alba to Piazza Dante. Plan was to take metro to Via Toledo but we just walked on downhill until we came to Palazzo Zevallos Stigliano. At this point, the heat beat me and we skipped this gallery and walked back to the ship via the much scaffolded Galeria Umberto and Piazza de Plebiscito. Very hot day but very satisfying. Hoping to do a trip report with photos. Both museums were €7 to enter and the all day transport tickets were €4.50 pp. Naples was captivating and not at all threatening as long as you keep your wits about you and don't flash the bling or cash. Locals helpful.

Many thanks to all on this thread who helped. Ken

Edited by CruiseIreland
Info