Help me plan so we can get back to the ship for lunch!

bangzoom6877

We sail July 19th on the Breakaway, so we will be in Bermuda Wednesday morning through Friday afternoon that week. The plan is to go to tour the crystal and fantasy caves that Thursday. I looked online and they open at 9am. We are trying to make it there as early as possible, and make it back to the ship before 2pm so we could eat lunch on the ship and save money buying lunch on the island. According the the website for the caves, touring both should take about an hour and a half. The timing for transportation is more of a concern.

The first ferry to Hamilton leaves the dockyard at 7:30 and the next one after that is not until 9:00. We have no problem getting up very early, having breakfast at 6 or 6:30am and getting an early start. My main concern is the bus and what time it comes, once we get off the ferry in Hamilton. I've also read that I need to take either the #1 or #3 bus to the caves once we arrive in Hamilton by ferry. We plan to buy 2-day transportation passes, since the plan is one day for the caves, going into Hamilton another day to walk around front street and explore, and the third day simply walking to Snorkel park beach from the ship so no need for transportation.

The bus schedule information I've found online is conflicting. On the one hand, the Bermuda transportation website explains that the buses depart from Hamilton every hour. On the other hand, I googled the Bermuda bus schedule which indicates departure from Hamilton every 30 minutes. That is a big time difference, especially with kids, and we would like to mentally prepare ourselves and prepare them for the wait time for the bus in case we just miss the bus.

So, my questions are:

1. Would you take the ferry at 7:30am or 9:00am from the dockyard to Hamilton?

2. Once we get off the ferry, where do we walk to, in order to take either the #1 or #3 bus?

3. How much time should we allow for transportation round trip, plus touring both caves?

4. Is it realistic to think we can make it back to the ship before 2pm?

5. Once we are finished at the caves, where do we walk to, in order to catch the bus back so we could take the ferry back to the dockyard?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

We sail July 19th on the Breakaway, so we will be in Bermuda Wednesday morning through Friday afternoon that week. The plan is to go to tour the crystal and fantasy caves that Thursday. I looked online and they open at 9am. We are trying to make it there as early as possible, and make it back to the ship before 2pm so we could eat lunch on the ship and save money buying lunch on the island. According the the website for the caves, touring both should take about an hour and a half. The timing for transportation is more of a concern.

The first ferry to Hamilton leaves the dockyard at 7:30 and the next one after that is not until 9:00. We have no problem getting up very early, having breakfast at 6 or 6:30am and getting an early start. My main concern is the bus and what time it comes, once we get off the ferry in Hamilton. I've also read that I need to take either the #1 or #3 bus to the caves once we arrive in Hamilton by ferry. We plan to buy 2-day transportation passes, since the plan is one day for the caves, going into Hamilton another day to walk around front street and explore, and the third day simply walking to Snorkel park beach from the ship so no need for transportation.

The bus schedule information I've found online is conflicting. On the one hand, the Bermuda transportation website explains that the buses depart from Hamilton every hour. On the other hand, I googled the Bermuda bus schedule which indicates departure from Hamilton every 30 minutes. That is a big time difference, especially with kids, and we would like to mentally prepare ourselves and prepare them for the wait time for the bus in case we just miss the bus.

So, my questions are:

1. Would you take the ferry at 7:30am or 9:00am from the dockyard to Hamilton?

2. Once we get off the ferry, where do we walk to, in order to take either the #1 or #3 bus?

3. How much time should we allow for transportation round trip, plus touring both caves?

4. Is it realistic to think we can make it back to the ship before 2pm?

5. Once we are finished at the caves, where do we walk to, in order to catch the bus back so we could take the ferry back to the dockyard?

Any info would be very much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Why not just stay on the ship in Bermuda? You can save loads of money that way. There is so much to see and enjoy in Bermuda. You should rethink your plan. There is a snack bar at the caves and the Swizzle Inn which is pub type grub is in walking distance.

I don't really want to help you but if you insist on wasting half a day returning to the ship for lunch by 2 PM that is doable. The bus times are correct. Go by the schedule. There are buses that run to Grotto Bay and buses that run all the way to St. George on 1 and 3. You can take any of those buses to the caves, Grotto or St. George, so there are plenty of buses. It is only every hour for all the way to St. George.

Edited by Charles4515

You are lucky to be there 3 days. The only schedule you should worry about is the bus and ferry. I have not bothered going back to the ship for lunch each time we were in Bermuda. I remember getting takeout food at a deli and supermarket and going to the Swizzle Inn. It's not worth wasting the time to go back for lunch even if you have transportation passes unless you're in Hamilton since it's a short ferry ride. However, if that's something you want to do to save $ then go ahead. After all, you do have unlimited transportation passes. This time we are going to the south shore Swizzle Inn and Art Mel's Spicy Dicey in St George on the 2 days we are in Bermuda.

Edited by sauvichick

You are lucky to be there 3 days. The only schedule you should worry about is the bus and ferry. I have not bothered going back to the ship for lunch each time we were in Bermuda. I remember getting takeout food at a deli and supermarket and going to the Swizzle Inn. It's not worth wasting the time to go back for lunch even if you have transportation passes unless you're in Hamilton since it's a short ferry ride. However, if that's something you want to do to save $ then go ahead. After all, you do have unlimited transportation passes. This time we are going to the south shore Swizzle Inn and Art Mel's Spicy Dicey in St George on the 2 days we are in Bermuda.

For some reason Art Mei's Spicy Dicey was closed last Wednesday when I stopped by for lunch. Closed sign on the door. Had to use my backup, Tavern on the Wharf. Very good fish chowder there.

Edited by Charles4515

Since the caves are in St-George's, why are you taking a ferry to Hamilton and then a bus to St-Georges ? Just take the 0930 ferry directly from the dockyard to St-Georges !

I agree with the previous posters - that's pretty far away to try and make it back by lunch. Maybe do it slightly differently ? Have a really big brunch a little later in the morning, head out to the caves then make it back by supper ? If you get hungry, you can stop for a snack or ice cream (which would be less expensive than buying a full lunch)

Or hop off the ship and do some shopping in the dockyard area in the morning, back to the ship for an early lunch then head to the caves in the afternoon and be back for supper ?

For some reason Art Mei's Spicy Dicey was closed last Wednesday when I stopped by for lunch. Closed sign on the door. Had to use my backup, Tavern on the Wharf. Very good fish chowder there.

Uh oh. I read they are closed Sunday and Monday.

Bonnie,

These are the schedules I used. I hope it clarifies the conflicting information.

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=959&mode=2&in_hi_userid=234&cached=true

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf

Edited by sauvichick

Since the caves are in St-George's, why are you taking a ferry to Hamilton and then a bus to St-Georges ? Just take the 0930 ferry directly from the dockyard to St-Georges !

They are planning to do the ferry from Hamilton in the context of their getting back to the ship for lunch. The caves open at 9:00 and they want to start early so they can go back early to make lunch. I think their plan is doable although I question the rationale behind it.

Uh oh. I read they are closed Sunday and Monday.

Bonnie,

These are the schedules I used. I hope it clarifies the conflicting information.

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=959&mode=2&in_hi_userid=234&cached=true

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202015.pdf

Thank you, this definitely helps! I see that the bus goes to the caves whether it is going all the way to St. George's or not, as mentioned by an above poster.

Once we get off the ferry in Hamilton, where do we walk to in order to catch the bus? Will there be signs indicating where to go when we exit the ferry?

Thank you, this definitely helps! I see that the bus goes to the caves whether it is going all the way to St. George's or not, as mentioned by an above poster.

Once we get off the ferry in Hamilton, where do we walk to in order to catch the bus? Will there be signs indicating where to go when we exit the ferry?

You have to walk to the bus terminal. About five blocks. Seven or eight minute walk. I don't think there are signs. The ferry terminal is on Front Street. Right there is the intersection of Queen Street. Go up Queen Street to Church Street. Turn right on Church Street a few blocks down is the bus terminal. Also the local people are very friendly. If you ask they will piont you the way.

Edited by Charles4515

You have to walk to the bus terminal. About five blocks. Seven or eight minute walk. I don't think there are signs. The ferry terminal is on Front Street. Right there is the intersection of Queen Street. Go up Queen Street to Church Street. Turn right on Church Street a few blocks down is the bus terminal. Also the local people are very friendly. If you ask they will piont you the way.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Also if you return to Hamilton from the caves you don't have to return to the bus terminal. You only have to catch the bus going there. On the return you can get off the bus on Front Street at the Ferry Terminal. So you won't have to walk back from the bus terminal.

Edited by Charles4515

Also if you return to Hamilton from the caves you don't have to return to the bus terminal. You only have to catch the bus going there. On the return you can get off the bus on Front Street at the Ferry Terminal. So you won't have to walk back from the bus terminal.

Excellent, thanks again! I think we are going to take the earliest ferry to Hamilton that morning. We would like to have time in the afternoon to explore the area by the dockyard and the day we go it the caves might be the only day we have time to do that.

Actually, the bus stop is only about 2 1/2 blocks away. As the post said, you get off the ferry and walk two blocks up Queen Street, turn right onto Church Street and you will pass City Hall on your left hand side. Just past City Hall, you will see the main bus terminal. It hard to miss, since it will have several stalls with the famous pink buses parked in them waiting for passengers to board. The buses are clearly marked with their route numbers. Going back to the Dockyard, you want #7 or #8 bus route.

Actually, the bus stop is only about 2 1/2 blocks away. As the post said, you get off the ferry and walk two blocks up Queen Street, turn right onto Church Street and you will pass City Hall on your left hand side. Just past City Hall, you will see the main bus terminal. It hard to miss, since it will have several stalls with the famous pink buses parked in them waiting for passengers to board. The buses are clearly marked with their route numbers. Going back to the Dockyard, you want #7 or #8 bus route.

Thank you very much! We plan to take the ferry back to the dockyard after taking bus #1 back from the caves. It's a beautiful ride on the ferry!

I am counting all the blocks, not just the blocks that don't cross both sides of the street. I was counting walking to Front Street so that is why I said 5. If you say 2 that makes it seem closer than it really is. It will feel like five blocks walking it, not two blocks.

Also they won't be getting the #7 or #8 bus at the Caves. They don't run there. They will be catching the #1 or #3 bus. And they are going to Hamilton to catch the ferry back to the Dockyard. They could also go to St. George to catch the ferry back to the Dockyard but Hamilton is probably better for making lunch on the ship. Depends when they get done at the caves. They would still catch a #1 or #3 but in the other direction if they went to St. George.

Edited by Charles4515

• 7 months later...

I don't really want to help you but if you insist on wasting half a day returning to the ship for lunch by 2 PM that is doable. The bus times are correct. Go by the schedule. There are buses that run to Grotto Bay and buses that run all the way to St. George on 1 and 3. You can take any of those buses to the caves, Grotto or St. George, so there are plenty of buses. It is only every hour for all the way to St. George.

LOL

I am glad you did help, as I was wondering if a trip to the caves is doable when I have to be back on the ship to LEAVE Bermuda by 2PM. I don't think I will risk it, don't want to be so rushed and stressed. Seems like sticking around at the dockyard will be a lot more relaxing!

We are only on the island for 24 hours, arriving at 2PM on a Saturday. Would you venture from Kings Wharf to Crystal Caves on a Saturday around 3PM, and what would be reasonable options for getting back to the dockyard if you did that, Charles? There are five of us.

Edited by turning40withMickey

LOL

We are only on the island for 24 hours, arriving at 2PM on a Saturday. Would you venture from Kings Wharf to Crystal Caves on a Saturday around 3PM, and what would be reasonable options for getting back to the dockyard if you did that, Charles? There are five of us.

On the Caves website it says the last tour of the caves is at 4:30. I don't think public transportation is feasible that late either way with the weekend schedule. A taxi would take about an hour from the Dockyard to the caves. So a taxi would be doable. Taxi fare of five would be about $80 each way.

Edited by Charles4515

On the Caves website it says the last tour of the caves is at 4:30. I don't think public transportation is feasible that late either way with the weekend schedule. A taxi would take about an hour from the Dockyard to the caves. So a taxi would be doable. Taxi fare of five would be about $80 each way.

Thanks.

Just too expensive and rushed for this visit. Guess we will have to come back!