Docking Times

JoeTN

Silly question, but as someone else mentioned here, I think I wanna be up on deck as the Fantasy approaches Freeport and docks, so I was wondering, if we are scheduled to arrive at 8am, does that mean that we'll be at the dock at 8am ready for people to get off, or we'll just be pulling in.

Also, as I'm a n00b cruiser (lol), how long before a docking are you insight of the island. Obviously you slow down as you approach and what not, but I don't wanna wake up at 5am, only to find it pitch black and no island in sight.

I guess it would depend on how fast the ship was traveling. TO date I have never arrived later then what was stated on the papers. Earlier yes.. ex- we are supposed to arrive back at home port about 8am but we arrived before 5am.

Usually when the papers state 8am - thats when you are able to get off.

we always seem to get in port right at the time they say we will get there and you're off the ship shortly after. There was a few times where we got off the ship an hour or so late because other ships, but most the time it's not like that.

I agree. It seems you are approaching port about 1 hour or less before the scheduled disembarkment time.

As for whether the sun will be pitch black, go to the Naval Observatory website (see Navy is good for something, lol) and get the sunrise/sunset time for Freeport Bahamas. First light appears one-half hour BEFORE sunrise, and that is cool to watch. Set your alarm or wake up call, throw on some clothes and gabs some java from the coffee mess on the lido. Stand around on deck, take some pics, etc. Then go back to cabin, shower, dress, and chow down on real breakfast.

This time before sunrise is known as civilian twilight, and the naval website will give you explanation on the difference between civilian, nautical, and astronomical twilight. (Apologies if you already know this stuff).

I agree. It seems you are approaching port about 1 hour or less before the scheduled disembarkment time.

As for whether the sun will be pitch black, go to the Naval Observatory website (see Navy is good for something, lol) and get the sunrise/sunset time for Freeport Bahamas. First light appears one-half hour BEFORE sunrise, and that is cool to watch. Set your alarm or wake up call, throw on some clothes and gabs some java from the coffee mess on the lido. Stand around on deck, take some pics, etc. Then go back to cabin, shower, dress, and chow down on real breakfast.

This time before sunrise is known as civilian twilight, and the naval website will give you explanation on the difference between civilian, nautical, and astronomical twilight. (Apologies if you already know this stuff).

I knew some of it, but didn't think about the NO website. Thanks!

Archived