Best way to get from FLL to MIA??

Jeanne B

My DH, DD12 and I aren't cruising this trip but we're going to St Thomas and St John next June and because we'll have a Song travel voucher we would like to fly Song from BOS to FLL but the Spirit flight times to STT don't work too well for us so we're considering flying AA out of Miami instead because it's a direct flight. Is it going to be more of a hassle than it's worth trying to get to the Miami airport from FLL? We could also pick up an AA flight out of FLL but it's not a direct flight to STT and I'm not too thrilled about having to change planes in SJU (I've read too many horror stories about flight delays and lost luggage). Does anyone have any advice?? :confused:

You can probably get a flight from FLL to MIA via TPA LOL. (On a lark one night, I checked HOU-IAH, and you can book it on AA via DFW LOL).

Seriously though, I would look into a shuttle service like http://www.floridalimo.com Just make sure you schedule enough time to get your luggage at FLL, wait for the shuttle, drive to MIA, check-in, and wait for security again. You'll probably be wanting to set aside 3 hours, 2 at the very minimum.

I would also compare what it would cost to not use that Song voucher, and just book AA from BOS-MIA-STT return, factoring in the hassle and expense noted above for the airport change.

I'll second the Tri-County/Airport Express recommendation, but do keep in mind that their van service is a shared van service and they can make other stops... http://www.floridalimo.com/

One of their limos, TownCars, or Larry's Limo would be faster... http://larryslimo.com/

Both are reliable, local companies... Renting a car is usually cheapest though, but will take even more time.

I would allow for a whole lot more than 2-3 hours though! You have to allow for delayed flights, time to get your luggage at FLL (that alone can take 20-30 minutes), you'll need to check in at MIA a couple of hours before that flight as AA check-in lines and security lines are VERY long at times.

It's about a 45 minute drive from FLL to MIA if there are no traffic problems, but if there's an accident (as there frequently are), or you hit it at "rush hour" (which is several hours long both in the morning and afternoon) it can take more like 2 hours!

Personally I think it's way more hassle than it's worth, and wouldn't attempt it myself.

Thanks for the input everyone!! I think we'll skip the idea of trying to get to MIA from FLL. If we fly Spirit it means we'll have to fly down a day early in order to catch their morning flight to STT the next day (they only have 1 flight) but doing that is still cheaper than flying AA from BOS-MIA-STT and not taking advantage of the Song travel voucher. We're not going until next June so I'll keep my eye on the fares over the next few months and maybe AA will drop their prices enough that it will be worth it to fly them out of BOS.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did that in recent trip - rented at FLL and dropped it off at MIA on the way out, and then rented at MIA and dropped it off at FLL on the way in. In both cases, a compact car costed below 28 bucks plus gas. (make sure you refilled gas and KEEP the receipt when you turned the car in, as Budget has new policy if you drove 75 miles or less, they will add a fuel surcharges if you failed to show a gas refilling receipt.)

Granted, if you have lots of luggages you may need to rent a bigger car which would be 5 to 10 bucks higher.

Archived