Price Tracking

pamwinn

We booked 2 cabins for a June Back to Back Alaska cruise on the Sapphire. The prices seem very high. We usually do not book this far out.

I use Tr*v*l*c*ty (I hope that is not a rule violation-forgive me if it is) to track prices. It seems to me that their prices are identical to the price you would get by booking directly with Princess ( I don't know if this is always true, but it has been everytime I've checked). So when their price drops, I contact my TA and ask for the adjustment.

Is this a good way to keep up with price fluctuations or is their a better way?

I booked my cruises on the Golden Princess for next April thru the same company that you are tracking your prices through. I had checked with Princess first on availability and pricing. They are the same.

I booked through the other company because they were offering a $100 onboard credit.

I've looked at many different online booking sites and found them to have the same prices...........Karen

Pam - that is exactly what I use. The only thing that the website you mentioned doesn't take into account is past passenger prices. If the cruises you are booked on offer a special to Capt Circle members, it will not be reflected on their online website. Periodically - ask your TA if there are any past passenger specials but otherwise, you are doing the right thing.

My TA charges less then what Princess charges (I am sure yours does also), but the price I keep track of is what Princess and that website charges and then when that changes - I call my TA.

I always get far better pricing from my large online TA, one of the ones listed on this site under the Cruise Agencies link. They are always very quick to respond to my requests even though email only. The site you mention in the first post of this thread is always several hundred dollars more expensive than what I pay and usually in-line with Princess quotes. And, I got a 25.00 per person cabin credit when I used my online TA this week to book my 12/24 Caribbean Princess.

I've noticed the cheapest single inside guarantee went down twice, $100.00 each time, since I originally booked on Thursday. Emailed them yesterday morning after seeing the first price drop and they rebooked within the hour at the lower rate. Noticed again first thing this morning that I could get an single inside Cat K guarantee for yet another $100.00 less, emailed them, and within a half hour they rebooked at this rate. I've always been pleased with their service, went to bat for me with Princess one time and won (even though Princess was following policy, the policy didn't make sense and I got what I needed).

Do shop around, a 50.00 cabin credit isn't all that great when you end up paying 200.00 more per person than you have to by finding a high volume trusted agent.

Also, having booked 3 Princess cruises in the past year, I've found prices start dropping close to final payment due date if inventory isn't down to where Princess expects it should be. I check every day the week before final payment. Also, if you see a lot of inventory that week, it's quite possible the rates will drop even more after final payment. I took this chance on my Diamond Princess Mexican Riviera cruise this past Feb and ended up with a great rate - much less than had I booked several months earlier. However, it is true cabin choices are slim pickens, but I've never had a cabin that I'd call bad yet, in fact have had 2 very nice obstructed OV's that weren't really obstructed at all.

Yes, I agree. I did not book with the company I am using to check pricing. I use a TA that used to be mentioned a lot on this board before the rules kicked in. I do think that it is my responsibility to track pricing even though good TA's try to do that. I don't think a busy TA could possibly keep up with pricing variances as often as I check for all of her clients simultaneously. That would be impossible. I am just trying to verify that the method I am using to track the price, is a viable method. I check prices multiple times daily.

If the price goes down and I call my TA, does she have to give up the rooms I have and get different rooms or do they just go down on the price of my room?

Assuming you have not been upgraded, you can keep your rooms. If you have been upgraded, things change a little.

Archived