Explorer of the Seas Alaska June 2016

Book a cruise for my birthday and did not even look at the ship. Saw the Explorer is 15 decks with a promenade. Is this considered one the mega ships? Can't be THAT big is a docks in Victoria which is not THAT big as I recall.

Can anyone else tell me about this cruise? It is:

Sailing Itinerary

Date Port Arrive Depart Activity

03-Jun Seattle, Washington 4:00 PM

04-Jun Cruising Cruising

05-Jun Alaska Inside Passage Cruising

05-Jun Juneau, Alaska 12:00 PM 9:00 PM Docked

06-Jun Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM Docked

07-Jun Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 7:00 AM 12:00 PM Cruising

08-Jun Cruising Cruising

09-Jun Victoria, British Columbia 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

10-Jun Seattle, Washington 6:00 AM

I am wondering if there are Formal Nights and if I can get away with a black suit. Must it be black because DH does not own black.

Regarding being a mega ship, there was no cruise ship larger than Explorer from 2000 to 2003. We docked in Victoria on Mariner, which is the same size ship as Explorer.

There are likely two formal nights on your 7 day itinerary.

Book a cruise for my birthday and did not even look at the ship. Saw the Explorer is 15 decks with a promenade. Is this considered one the mega ships? Can't be THAT big is a docks in Victoria which is not THAT big as I recall.

Can anyone else tell me about this cruise? It is:

Sailing Itinerary

Date Port Arrive Depart Activity

03-Jun Seattle, Washington 4:00 PM

04-Jun Cruising Cruising

05-Jun Alaska Inside Passage Cruising

05-Jun Juneau, Alaska 12:00 PM 9:00 PM Docked

06-Jun Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PM Docked

07-Jun Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 7:00 AM 12:00 PM Cruising

08-Jun Cruising Cruising

09-Jun Victoria, British Columbia 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

10-Jun Seattle, Washington 6:00 AM

I am wondering if there are Formal Nights and if I can get away with a black suit. Must it be black because DH does not own black.

Booked a cruise and didn't even look at the ship?????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Booked a cruise and didn't even look at the ship?????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you look at my signiture...it has been too long. I was just happy to find a cruise that worked for my birthday and our schedule.

• 7 months later...

We have been on the Explorer twice in the past and are sailing to Alaska in August this year.

We love the ship and are especially looking forward to our cruise following the recent refurbishment. Love the Promenade area ~ we have stayed in the Promenade rooms which are really cool. The Promenade is almost like strolling down a street full of shops and cafes.

Also love that there are many activities and a Johnny Rockets restaurant aboard.

It's larger than some ships, but not a mega ship. We never felt crowded. You'll love the ship.

I'll be on this sailing, as well. First Alaska cruise (I've done three others - Mexican Riviera, Western Caribbean and Southern Caribbean), and looking forward to something different, yet the same (does that even make sense?).

I don't think this is considered one of the "mega ships" anymore, but it is still a very large vessel. I was on sister ship Voyager back in '08, and loved it. I really liked the promenade, the rock wall and other activities that come with being on a larger ship (the Voyager at the time didn't have the Flow Rider, so I'm looking forward to trying that, weather permitting). At the same time, it still felt like you were at sea, not the downtown area of Anytown, USA, which I feel (admittedly, from just looking at pictures) you would get on the mega-ships like the Oasis-class.

I was just on the Jewel, and noticed there was quite a variety of interpretations of "formal night" - everything from a few tuxes to no different from the casual nights (there were two formal nights, which I believe is the norm for a seven-night cruise). Personally, I wore slacks, blazer and tie and nobody asked me to leave the dining room. :) If you're really concerned about it, there are plenty of other dining options onboard - you don't need to eat in the dining room every night (Windjammer, room service, Johnny Rockets (is it open in the evenings?), specialty restaurants, etc.).

I must say that after my recent Jewel cruise (1/24 - 1/31) I've really caught the cruising bug (kind of weird that it didn't happen after my first two). I just need to figure out how I can work it out financially to reach the Diamond Plus or Pinnacle Club in the Crown & Anchor Society. :) That, and how NOT to gain seven pounds in a week! :o

".... The Promenade is almost like strolling down a street full of shops and cafes."

Does it have balcony or door where you can just walk out?

The only door outside that a guest can use is far forward in a lounge, on the starboard side. It's easier to go down to deck 4 to reach the outside promenade.

We are also on this Cruise. First time to Alaska and very excited !

We are also on this sailing, welcome aboard and checkout the link to the Explorer. This gives her stats and has some great info.

http://www.beyondships.com/Explorer.html

Also, come join in on our roll call, it is kind of slow right now, but hopefully it will pick up soon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2191201

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am leaving for the Alaskan Cruise on June 3rd. If you see a massive reunion of 80 people, who are Indian, I am a part of that group. Large family reunion is coming together and it will be on this cruise! Yay!

I am a diamond member, so really looking forward to the lounge on this ship. I officially leveled up about a year ago.

Anyway, I am 24 and my S.O. and I are big adventure seekers. We really want to partake in the Helicopter and Glacier trek excursion, but are wondering if there are any trusted, non-rccl, companies that offer this kind of trip at a lower rate. (What can I say, I like a good Bargain!) If anyone has any ideas, your help is appreciated.

I also lived in seattle (just moved from the midwest ) and I have some sites for good quality outdoor gear at great prices. Out here its all about layers, so Sierra Trading Post offers really great discounts and top quality brands for your outdoor needs :).

Again if anyone has suggestions about off-site excursion companies, that would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

• 7 months later...