Question about sailing on the Ryndam in September

Bluesfan1965

Hi

My husband and I are planning a cruise in the western Mediterranean for late September and have looked at cruises on HAL, Princess, and RCI. We understand that the Ryndam will be sold soon and that there is a current outbreak of the Norovirus. Any suggestions about sailing on the Ryndam? How is the service and what is the condition of the ship? We have sailed with HAL several times, most recently on the Maasdam, and been very happy with each cruise.

Thanks for any input

Hi

My husband and I are planning a cruise in the western Mediterranean for late September and have looked at cruises on HAL, Princess, and RCI. We understand that the Ryndam will be sold soon and that there is a current outbreak of the Norovirus. Any suggestions about sailing on the Ryndam? How is the service and what is the condition of the ship? We have sailed with HAL several times, most recently on the Maasdam, and been very happy with each cruise.

Thanks for any input

We are sailing on the Ryndam today, will post something when we get back. Sailed on her last August and she's a lovely ship .

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

You might want to find out when the ship is being sold. Personally, I would not sail on a ship just before it is being sold and then refitted, as it is too tempting for the company to put off some repairs and maintenance.

As to the norovirus, I am confident that they will have this resolved by the time you sail. We were on the Maasdam in May and it took several sailings and deep cleanings, but they reportedly have solved this issue.

We took a two week cruise on the Ryndam out of Tampa. From day one, we

had issues with the toilet not working. Most of the time, someone came right

up and fixed the problem in a minute. I'm not sure if we got such quick service because we were in a vista cabin, we are three star mariners, or just

lucky. It was a common problem on this ship, and we heard from many who did not receive the service that we did. During the second week of the cruise, we did not have any problems. Toilet issues are a common curse on older ships. Noro virus seems to hit all the cruise lines. You can always check the CDC inspections. Good luck!

We took a two week cruise on the Ryndam out of Tampa. From day one, we

had issues with the toilet not working. Most of the time, someone came right

up and fixed the problem in a minute. I'm not sure if we got such quick service because we were in a vista cabin, we are three star mariners, or just

lucky. It was a common problem on this ship, and we heard from many who did not receive the service that we did. During the second week of the cruise, we did not have any problems. Toilet issues are a common curse on older ships. Noro virus seems to hit all the cruise lines. You can always check the CDC inspections. Good luck!

I have found that the CDC website is not very complete. Our Maasdam May 1-15 cruise is still not on there, even though the previous one is and we had ALOT more cases.

You might want to find out when the ship is being sold. Personally, I would not sail on a ship just before it is being sold and then refitted, as it is too tempting for the company to put off some repairs and maintenance.

As to the norovirus, I am confident that they will have this resolved by the time you sail. We were on the Maasdam in May and it took several sailings and deep cleanings, but they reportedly have solved this issue.

We just booked the Ryndam's final voyage Oct 3, 2015 - Venice to Singapore.

This will be our third cruise on the Ryndam. Our very first cruise was on the Ryndam with Louis Rukeyser of Wall Street Week. Great memories.

We were on the last voyage of the "Love Boat" - Pacific Princess in Oct 2002.

Gavin Macleod and some of the other cast members came on board for a sail away party. The cruise was fantastic. More great memories.