Language on board of Magica?

Sigtau21

Me and My Wife may book a trip with the following Itinerary Leaving November 20:

Day 1 Civitavecchia/Rome (Italy) - 7:00 PM

Day 2 Savona (Italy) 9:00 AM5:00 PM

Day 3 Barcelona (Spain) 2:00 PM8:00 PM

Day 4 Palma De Mallorca (Spain) 7:00 AM1:00 PM

Day 5 Tunis (Tunisia) 2:00 PM7:00 PM

Day 6 La Valletta (Malta) 9:00 AM5:00 PM

Day 7 Palermo (Sicily) 8:00 AM5:00 PM

Day 8 Civitavecchia/Rome (Italy)

The ship, Magica, flies under the Italian Flag. What language is the primary language? Italian? Will I be able to get through dinner without knowing Italian? We just decided to book this trip so it doesn’t give me much time to learn much of the Italian language, but I will try!! Will I be able to order room service and be able to communicate with the staff at check in, etc? Daily announcements, what language?

Hi, all staff on board Costa Ships are fluent in several languages. You will have no problem. Announcements are made in five languages, sounds a bit daunting but one gets used to it. The muster is the most tedious.

Do hope you enjoy your cruise, lovely itinery.

Shades UK.

We've been on six Costa cruises.

The ship's officers are mostly Italian as are some of the staff.

Every staff member we met spoke at least two languages - One of them was always English.

Our waiters and cabin stewards also have always spoken enough English where there have been no problems.

Every Costa cruise we have been on has had passenger group leaders or guides that are assigned to assist different languages. The first or second day of each cruise there will be a get together for each language group to explain how things work on the ship and give you information concerning the cruise. After the initial meetings each group leader of guide will have an established time to meet with passengers individually concerning problems or questions - the meeting times will be announced in the daily news letter delivered to your cabin each evening.

Expect most PA announcements to be made in five or six languages.

Bottom line is that you will not have to learn Italian.

After typing all of this I now see that Shades has given you the same answer in a shorter form.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the detailed answer to him. You told me several things I haven't heard before. It is always nice to get new information and not the same complaints ( food, languages, rudeness, and smoke). I read this each day to learn new things about cruising with Costa.:)

I am so glad to know that my family and myself will not be the only Americans on the Nov 20th sailing on the Magica.

I have a 13 year old son, does anyone have any idea if any other kids his age may be on the cruise?

Also, can you take the train from the port to Rome?

JennfromGA, school is in session nearly everywhere so the number of school age kids is likely to be quite low. Still, on a ship with over 2000 passengers, there should be some. We did the Costa Tropicale two years ago with our teen son and there was about a dozen teens on board, during the school year, on a ship about half the size of the Magica. So you should find some. Interestingly, all these kids were Italian with limited English and even the Teen activities Leader spoke no English. But they all managed to communicate and had a fun time. The Magica is advertised much more to the U.S. so there will be more Americans on board compared to the Tropicale, which was being advertised only in Italy. It's definitely an "international experience" which you should really enjoy!

Yes, you can take a train from the port into Rome. For some ships the port offers a free shuttle to the rail station in Civitavecchia, otherwise you have to walk it or take a taxi. I've not done it; supposedly it's not that long of a walk. You may want to search further here on cruise critic for details. Also, train schedules can be found at www.trenitalia.it and then click on "English" at the very top right. This is a regular commuter run with lots of trains back and forth. Once in Rome purchase a day pass for the Metro system to get around quite easily. (Don't leave your wallet in your back pocket.)

BobK/Orlando

Archived