Cruising around Greece 13th July (EURO CRISIS)

I have took all the advice and have got myself lots of Euros. I thought that the main problem would be the lack of credit/debit card facilities. However, going by the news today there seems to be a food/medicine shortage already developing and it looks like it will get worse next week.

How do folks think this will play out as regards to Cruising? Do you think we will get a itinerary change? Cruise cancelled etc?

Edited by john_l

no.... the only problem i can forsee is if thoms debit card bounces when paying port taxes in greek poc (but spirit/majesty are owned by a greek company so i dont expect they pay much in the way taxes there anyway):rolleyes:

there may eventually be a fuel shortage?? but i think thoms get their fuel from turkey

My son just arrived back from Zante and the people on the islands don't seem interested in the crisis. The told him they work mostly in cash anyway - possibly why they are in this mess?? Anyway, my son took plenty of cash and had a lovely holiday. I think the newspapers enjoy causing panic.

Just go and enjoy yourself:)

Simon Calder covered this a couple of years back - if I remember correctly this was the gist of his advice.

There might be a problem if Greece quickly dumps the Euro and introduces an unstable interim currency.

Therefore take only small denomination euro notes - to avoid a situation where you could receive anything but very small change in the temporary Greek money.

I'm going on the 20th July and have just ordered a bunch of 5 Euro notes, as I've heard the Greeks are only allowed 3 x 20Euro notes from the cash machines, so there is a shortage of change.

Even if they change back to drachma (which couldn't happen overnight) I'm sure the Greek people would prefer Euros as a hard(ish) currency anyway, a lot of people in Turkey seem to want them and they've never been in the Euro.

I think the only risk of an itinerary change is if they start having riots in Athens and it's not safe to stop there - I vaguely remember that happened a few years ago.

We returned on Thursday 02nd July after a 2 weeks hotel stay in Corfu.

Up to then we saw no major evidence of any problems. We took plenty of Euros, credit and debit cards plus a GBP cash contingency. (belt and braces).

Minor evidence of problems:-

* some people preferred you to pay with the exact € cash rather than giving change from €50 or €20 notes. (may have been the norm).

* small queues at ATMs

* people buying large quantities on bottled water etc from supermarket

* local traders chasing payments (2 occasions, once in a small bakery and once in a taverna) openly in front of customers.

* a couple of fellow passengers on the return flight had problems getting euros from ATMs.

* banks closed (a national thing).

Its early days yet. Cruise passengers not as affected as holiday makers paying for their hotels locally and those self catering. I agree with what others have posted on this thread. Fuel is the potential major issue (cruise ships, planes and taxis, coaches etc).

The people in Corfu were fantastic and they want tourists to return.

It is a good tip to take smaller notes and change. We do not go untill September so we may have a better idea by then. I am cocerned about riots in Athens. Hope for the Greeks it is sorted soon. I really do not have a clear understanding about this vote. If I take my overdraft/debt from one bank to another I still have that debt. Who is the winner in all of this? Someone will be making a killing out of all this.

• 2 weeks later...

just returned from a holiday in Skiathos and encountered no problems whatsoever. The shops and supermarkets were as well stocked as usual. tavernas offered their usual extensive menus. We usually paid for our evening meal with a 50e note and nobody blinked and eye. there were a few people at ATM's, but certainly no long queues.

Greece has always been mainly a cash society, we usually take cash and put it in the safe, no fuss, no problem. also cards for any emergencies.

No one, including the Greeks know what will happen, further down the line, but expecting riots and mass shortages is just a waste of time, at this stage

Just be wary of planning travel by train if you're doing DiY (Piraeus into Athens or to Olympia for example) as I understand there has been a train strike today - at least in the Thessaloniki area.

Edited by kruzseeka

Just be wary of planning travel by train if you're doing DiY (Piraeus into Athens or to Olympia for example) as I understand there has been a train strike today - at least in the Thessaloniki area.

And be careful with your belongings too. I nearly had my wallet lifted by some greek git on the train from Athens back to Piraeus. Luckily, I felt it when he undid the press-stud on my shorts pocket. It was just as we were pulling into a station so he would have had a quick getaway had he succeeded. Mind you I'd have laid into him if I caught him.

And be careful with your belongings too. I nearly had my wallet lifted by some greek git on the train from Athens back to Piraeus. Luckily, I felt it when he undid the press-stud on my shorts pocket. It was just as we were pulling into a station so he would have had a quick getaway had he succeeded. Mind you I'd have laid into him if I caught him.

It is awful to read reports like this.

I do feel sorry for those poor people, living in the birth place of democracy, and now living under this strict regime.

Edited by Rhubarbtart

its not a regime! the greek people democratically voted for the syriza party and are supporting them (the riots are against the government caving in)

there is poverty and crime everywhere and tourists are targeted everywhere (including here)

the greek government are fighting the corner for every man woman and child in greece... its about as democratic as democracy can get (which is bit of a novelty in european politics)

Pickpockets are everywhere. I had my bag taken in a Barcelona cafe, and I stopped a thief from taking a lady's purse in Naples.

That doesn't surprise me. When we went to the police station they had one room set up to report thefts. There were tables all around the room with one table for each language. We had to book in,and in half an hour the A4 paper was almost full of names.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2